Please help me!! I need a list of of 6-8 out of state DO schools to apply to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan Dan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a new user on here and I am humbly asking everyone for their advice on which out of state schools to apply to. I am from Dallas, Texas and plan on applying to all my state schools. I need a list of about 8-10 out of state schools. I have no idea of which schools to apply to because of my lower than average GPA. Please take into account my background also. I don't have a preference for location. Cost is not really a priority either. I just need to get accepted. I'm pursuing a Family Practice DO or MD. Please list in ranking of what is best to you. Any explanation as to why any schools are recommended would be gladly welcomed. Thanks to everyone in advance! Info on me...

I work part-time 20 hours a week.
College background:
2 years community college
3.57 overall GPA in Nursing Major
Applied to Nursing school
Got accepted. Left after first semester because it wasn't for me
and I should of believed in myself and went straight for the MD.
2 years at Univ. of Dallas (Biology)
Will graduate in Fall 07' with expected GPA of around 3.4
Total GPA from both schools 3.45 maybe?
Science GPA probably 3.3
MCAT: not taken yet. (June 07')
I am estimating a 26-30 based on Kaplan
Volunteering: Church piano player for 10 years.
Volunteer at a hospital 100 hours plus total.
Shadowed 4 doctors. No research.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a new user on here and I am humbly asking everyone for their advice on which out of state schools to apply to. I am from Dallas, Texas and plan on applying to all my state schools. I need a list of about 8-10 out of state schools. I have no idea of which schools to apply to because of my lower than average GPA. Please take into account my background also. I don't have a preference for location. Cost is not really a priority either. I just need to get accepted. I'm pursuing a Family Practice DO or MD. Please list in ranking of what is best to you. Any explanation as to why any schools are recommended would be gladly welcomed. Thanks to everyone in advance! Info on me...

I work part-time 20 hours a week.
College background:
2 years community college
3.57 overall GPA in Nursing Major
Applied to Nursing school
Got accepted. Left after first semester because it wasn't for me
and I should of believed in myself and went straight for the MD.
2 years at Univ. of Dallas (Biology)
Will graduate in Fall 07' with expected GPA of around 3.4
Total GPA from both schools 3.45 maybe?
Science GPA probably 3.3
MCAT: not taken yet. (June 07')
I am estimating a 26-30 based on Kaplan
Volunteering: Church piano player for 10 years.
Volunteer at a hospital 100 hours plus total.
Shadowed 4 doctors. No research.

Wow...you really need to set more specific criterias because there are over 150 schools you can apply to...with an mcat between 26-30 (estimated) you probably want to look at lower tier/midde of road MD schools and probably all DO schools...but that only decreases it to what...like 135 schools?...do you want east coast? west coast? cheap (i know you said it didnt matter)?....with family practice you can obtain that residency from any school so again it doesnt eliminate any of the choices...I will tell you that there are some really good DO schools...and some really bad ones...so do your research there...good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You really could really apply to any of the DO schools with those stats and probably have a decent chance of getting in. The schools in more urban settings tend to have more graduates specializing, whereas the schools in the rural settings have more PCPs. But, rotations in an urban setting generally give you better clinical exposure. WVSOM is a good PCP school. Of course, I recommend DCOM. TCOM because you are IS. Umm...I guess this would be my list:

DCOM:D :thumbup:
WVSOM
VCOM
NYCOM
PCOM-PA
UNECOM
TCOM

A lot of these schools have a strong IS or regional preference though. This is of course only my opinion and I have a preference for the east coast. I really don't know much about the other schools. You really need to research the schools yourself and decide what is the best fit.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was wanting to know if anyone knew which one of the DO schools have a strong In-State preference or Regional, and the ones that don't. I am likely going to stay away from schools with only 10% out of state acceptance rate. Also, any opinions on which schools that are the bad ones would be welcome.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was wanting to know if anyone knew which one of the DO schools have a strong In-State preference or Regional, and the ones that don't. I am likely going to stay away from schools with only 10% out of state acceptance rate. Also, any opinions on which schools that are the bad ones would be welcome.

NYCOM definitely has strong IS preference. I think UNECOM is regional. I am not sure about the others.:luck:

This will really give you most of the info you need, OP.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4308705&postcount=78

This list will give you a good idea of In & Out of state preference, though UMDNJ is deceptive because everyone accepted can then claim in-state status.

While several schools have preferences, I don't think any take NO out of state applicants. For example, WV has a high instate preference, but I know several people that got accepted who are out of staters.