Please help me make a plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick414

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so let me begin this post by first off stating that I will be attending UC Merced in the fall as a freshman majoring in Chemistry and (like everyone else on this forum), my goal is to get into med school. This is a goal that I will achieve; however, I would like some structured advice to help me to guarantee the success of this goal. Throughout my high highschool career, all restraints on my past academic success are derived from simple ignorance, a curse that I do not want to be haunted by again. With that said, I am asking for you guys to help me build a plan. A structure containing everything that I should, and need to do that will guarantee me acceptance into an extraordinary med school. Obviously the obvious is perfect grades, but from what I hear, grades alone do not get you into the school of your dreams. So what are things that I should participate in throughout my college career.

Research: I know research looks good but can one participate in research at the university while still an undergrad? I have found I few openings at my school but all required a PhD. If so, how do I take advantage of said opportunity? Do I simply go to all my professors and ask? How early can you begin research?

Clubs: Are clubs as important to getting into med school as it was back when applying for college? If so does the type of club matter? Like does participation in a competitive club like archery or boxing look better than a more chill club?

Community service: same thing with the question with clubs, is community service hours from random activities a factor for medical schools? Do hours (if not from research) even matter? (unless from like volunteer work in hospitals).

Job: Does having a job in college make any difference for med school applicants like it did in high school? I would think no, that med school is too prestigious to look at a small part time job as a factor, but then again you never know so I figure to ask.

Shadowing: Does shadowing a doctor look good? If so, how do I get involved in that?

Fraternity: Does going a frat look good? Does a professional pre-med frat look better than joining a regular frat? I would assume so right?

Anything I am missing? Look, I need help with the perfect plan that will get me into a med school like Stanford and such. I do not want to hear (don't overload your schedule, don't burn yourself out), I was lazy in high school and made mistakes that prevented me from getting in colleges that I feel like I belonged in towards the end of my high school career and I will NOT repeat my mistakes. I want to know everything I can do and how I can do it and I guarantee, I will do it because I will get into the med school of my dreams, no doubt there.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Grades grades grades

Until you are getting A's, don't bother with anything else beyond 2-5hrs/ wk volunteering

Reactions: 1 users
Grades>>>>>Clinical experience (volunteer or job)>>Community Service=Shadowing=Research>>>>>Clubs>>>>>Fraternity

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with previous posters. Also:

1. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself to be in a good position in four years' time. Learning to pace yourself will be useful for med school, for residency, and for life after qualifying.

2. If at any point things are going off track, work out why and what you need to do to put them right. Get help with this (your university has many resources for you: use them). If something does go wrong, don't just stew in it, put it right.

3. Don't let the best be enemy of the good. You don't need a 4.0 GPA in order to get into med school, so don't be thrown off track because you drop below that.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so let me begin this post by first off stating that I will be attending UC Merced in the fall as a freshman majoring in Chemistry and (like everyone else on this forum), my goal is to get into med school. This is a goal that I will achieve; however, I would like some structured advice to help me to guarantee the success of this goal. Throughout my high highschool career, all restraints on my past academic success are derived from simple ignorance, a curse that I do not want to be haunted by again. With that said, I am asking for you guys to help me build a plan. A structure containing everything that I should, and need to do that will guarantee me acceptance into an extraordinary med school. Obviously the obvious is perfect grades, but from what I hear, grades alone do not get you into the school of your dreams. So what are things that I should participate in throughout my college career.

Research: I know research looks good but can one participate in research at the university while still an undergrad? I have found I few openings at my school but all required a PhD. If so, how do I take advantage of said opportunity? Do I simply go to all my professors and ask? How early can you begin research?

Clubs: Are clubs as important to getting into med school as it was back when applying for college? If so does the type of club matter? Like does participation in a competitive club like archery or boxing look better than a more chill club?

Community service: same thing with the question with clubs, is community service hours from random activities a factor for medical schools? Do hours (if not from research) even matter? (unless from like volunteer work in hospitals).

Job: Does having a job in college make any difference for med school applicants like it did in high school? I would think no, that med school is too prestigious to look at a small part time job as a factor, but then again you never know so I figure to ask.

Shadowing: Does shadowing a doctor look good? If so, how do I get involved in that?

Fraternity: Does going a frat look good? Does a professional pre-med frat look better than joining a regular frat? I would assume so right?

Anything I am missing? Look, I need help with the perfect plan that will get me into a med school like Stanford and such. I do not want to hear (don't overload your schedule, don't burn yourself out), I was lazy in high school and made mistakes that prevented me from getting in colleges that I feel like I belonged in towards the end of my high school career and I will NOT repeat my mistakes. I want to know everything I can do and how I can do it and I guarantee, I will do it because I will get into the med school of my dreams, no doubt there.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thank you
Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
SBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

All battle plans do not survive contact with the enemy. There is no perfect plan.

My opinion of frats is low. Service to others less fortunate than yourself is what matters.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no perfect plan and for sure there are no guarantees for Med school acceptance. Work hard in all areas. Don't worry about research right now(if ever-although Stanford is very research oriented). There are lots of Med schools in the US and you will get a fine education at any of them. Come back in a year or two and let us know how things are going. A plan has to be yours. What worked for one person may be no workable for you . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app