Please help me out... I just found out I wanted to be a doctor last year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damon Mikaelis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There:

This is my first time posting and I really have no idea what I am doing. I feel everything is going really fast and I feel out of place.

My name is Damon and to be short, I am an individual who screwed up a lot. As a result I lost everything and everyone. It took two full years to right the wrongs. Now I am in a position to start my life again but I do not know if I am way over my head. So please forgive me if this post is long because I am working so hard for the very thing that I never thought I will do. It also does not help that I found out what I wanted in a short period of time.

It was last year when I decided to set out to do what I love. However the problem was I did not know what that was. Especially because I thought I loved money, and other things for a long time in the past. Fortunately, I applied to a hospital to volunteer and learned everything that I can. Initially I did not have "doctors" in mind when I applied, it was more in the lines of positions that can be achieved through college. However I pushed myself to learn everything and the more I learnt, the more I was in love with what a doctor does, more specifically radiologists.

This is why I am embarking on my third year full-time and retaking all my courses that happened to be prereqs for medical school in Ireland (Atlantic Bridge Program) and St. George University's Pre-Med Program. I do not know if that is a good thing, because the first two years of uni, I was a part-timer who had done horribly academically (mostly Bs and Cs). However this time I am sure that it will change, I studied very hard for chem, calculus, bio and physics over the summer. When I said very hard, I mean very little sleep, forgetting to eat and not having a social life hard. It is gotten to the point, where I am solving peoples questions on the internet because I finished reviewed everything in my textbook. Also I am was a bright student, always did very well in high school while doing very little. I know this is not an indication if I will do well, however academics was not a problem.

The reason why I did horribly, is because I had a major health issue that seriously impeded my academic performance. Tie that with a full-time job to survive and being overwhelmed. Especially since I come from a circle where no one ever went to med school, or even university for that matter. Which is why I plan to petition those marks.
So here are my main questions.

Lastly, the reason why I want to go abroad is because there will be huge obstacles if I stay here. If I get into medical school, I am sure that I will not do well academically because of personal reasons and other factors that can be very hard to manage. If I leave now, then I actually have a chance of doing well in med-school and have a shot at radiology.

My Questions:

1. Do I have a fighting chance to study in Ireland (Atlantic Bridge Program) or Grenada (St, George)? I am going to retake all 8 courses of my courses and hopefully I am going to ace all of them. To be honest, I am very sure that once I retake my courses, (previous marks aside) I will get close to a 4.0 average, if not a 4.0. I studied over the summer, plus all my courses are with my previous professors. So I know what they expect from a student, if he/she wants an A+ in their class. Also these courses were pretty much the same courses I aced in high school, with the addition of some new concepts. However this does not exempt the fact that I retook courses. I know St. George has grade forgiveness where they take the second grade only, however what about the schools in Ireland? If my university does not accept my petition, then what will my chances be then with the universities under the Atlantic Bridge Program?

2. If I do great academically this year? I worry about my history. Even though I volunteered at a hospital, I cannot get a reference from them. A reason I cannot disclose, even though I was a great volunteer and did nothing wrong. So I cannot prove that my love for medicine, is not a infatuation. However I can prove that I am an above average and unique applicant.

One instance, is that I started out as a administrative assistant and ended up as a junior partner within three years at a firm. I brought more than 50% of sales ($600 000 in billings) within two years. I pretty much brought more accounts then the whole sales team combined. Granted, that there were only 7 people in that team.

Also my professor from my intro to physics will most likely write a stellar reference letter. We are close and it was around the time where my health issue started to not become so much of an issue. I got 96% in his class and worked really hard. I came to most of his office hours, tutorials and utilized every resource that he had to offer.

However that is pretty much it and I worry that this is not enough because none of my references pertains to clinical experience, or some experience in a medical environment.

3. Assuming that I get accepted to all of the schools I applied to, would you go to St. George University's Pre-Medical or go to the six (hopefully five year) med school program in Ireland. Money is not an issue, I have the ability to pay the fees in full and still live comfortably for my time there. Though I will pretty much have nothing in my bank account afterwards, but at least I will start working again. However the reason SGU is an option because all I have to do is keep a 3.2 GPA for two-years and pass a test to gain admission to their medical school. Besides that, SGU seems like a great school when I toured their campus and spoke to their students. In a broad sense, it seems that students in Ireland's med school complain about the school (organizational matters), and St. George's students complain about student life. When I say complain, I do not mean they were constantly complaining about the schools. The reality was that they had very little complaints, which was surprising to me. For instance, even though St. George has one of the most beautiful and pretty advanced campuses, it is still on a island. This kind of makes it isolating, because there is not a lot to do. Well I think what they meant is that there is a lot to do but not as much as what you can do in Ireland. Which I personally think it is great because I am not going abroad to vacation. While when I toured Ireland's medical school, there was a common complaint that there is a disconnect between admin and the students. As a result, notifications such as exam schedules are late.

4. If you were me? What would you do? Any insight will be appreciate very much. When I said I lost everything, I meant it. I had to drop friends and family who were holding me back and work a full-time job to make a living. So I did not have time to make new friends. All I have are some doctors from the hospital, the medical school itself, and their students. If you can help me out and put some sort of perspective for me, it will mean so much to me. Since I feel very lost, because this phase of my life is totally new to me. Maybe because I am in a new territory... who knows. What I do know is that I want this really bad, and I am willing to do anything.

Lastly, I apologize if this was a long post, forgive me again. Also I apologize for any spelling/grammatical error because I am writing this at 5AM. However please know that I will appreciate whatever you have to offer, and hopefully maybe in the future I will get to pass on some of my experiences to the future generation once I get accepted to med school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The thing with SGU is that it will be much more intense than the Irish program. The Irish program will spread medicine out over 6 years whereas SGU will be 2 years of pre-med and then 4 years of intense med.

SGU will have US clinical experience though which will help you match. Ireland has a good rep in the North-east especially in and around Boston. Look at residency programs in Massachusetts and there are proportionally a lot of Irish grads.

SGU will be known pretty much throughout the US but this reputation might not be a positive.

If you are committing to the 6 year program in Ireland you need to be sure you like Ireland because you will realistically be spending about 80% of the next 6 years in Ireland. With SGU its less maybe 60%.

I can't really tell you what to pick because the choice will depend on what you value.

First off all thank you for replying to my question, I really do appreciate. I will take that into consideration. However I heard that the first two-years of pre-med in SGU equates to the first two-years of medical school in Ireland. When I said heard, I meant it was from one student from SGU who seemed not to know what she was talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I really think that advice applies to a lot of people. Seriously I mean it, when I was at rock-bottom it gave me clarity on what mattered and didn't. Though family and friends are important, they really do not matter. As of now, I am living the happiest parts of my life and I don't have family anymore. All I got is my best friend who I do not speak to very often, since I am trying to get those As. I guess it goes to show that no matter how much you lost, you still have everything to gain, if you work hard. This is probably no a reply haha, but more of an add-on for those who maybe going through the same thing, or even worse (hopefully not).

Well i know that most Irish programs are 1 year of premed and 5 years of med, so similar to SGU which is 2 years of premed and 4 years of med.

I don't know SGU's program though so i don't know if the premed is more organic chemistry, biochem, biology sort of material or anatomy and physiology.

Thank A Bunch! I meant it! SGU's pre-med program is more along the lines of organic chem, biochem and the good stuff. As of now I am leaning towards Ireland however my worries lies when trying to get matched for residency, specifically radiology. Do you know anyone who has been matched to a Diagnostic Radiology program here in Canada from Ireland? Since I have not met a radiology resident yet, or even a recent one who graduated from an Ireland med school. However I did come into contact with two SGU graduates who are currently doing residency in Radiology. Which I find unbelievable, and most likely would not believe it if I had not checked it out myself. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough... what do you think?

Thank A Bunch! I meant it! SGU's pre-med program is more along the lines of organic chem, biochem and the good stuff. As of now I am leaning towards Ireland however my worries lies when trying to get matched for residency, specifically radiology. Do you know anyone who has been matched to a Diagnostic Radiology program here in Canada from Ireland? Since I have not met a radiology resident yet, or even a recent one who graduated from an Ireland med school. However I did come into contact with two SGU graduates who are currently doing residency in Radiology. Which I find unbelievable, and most likely would not believe it if I had not checked it out myself. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough... what do you think?

I wouldn't count on it tbh. Things will be harder when you graduate because the number of people going abroad for medical school is ballooning every year and the number of spots in Canada are the same and in the US it is getting harder with more US grads every year.

So basically if you meet any radiology resident who got in as an IMG, for you it will be even harder. I guess its still possible, but radiology is hard even for North American grads so again I would go to Ireland perfectly willing to go into a less competitive specialty, but still have a dream of a radiology residency.

You are right, the more I look into it, the more Radiology seems to be a pipe dream.