please help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissa_rm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I am a freshman and have decided I want to go into dentistry. I realize that you cannot actually major in dentistry, but I need to know what the best thing to major in would be. My advisor isn't sure and I don't really know who to ask. I have been informed I could major in psychology or biochemistry. Please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Major in telecommunications with a minor in religious studies. No, seriously major in whatever you want, just make sure that you take all of the pre-reqs. I made the unfortunate mistake of majoring in biology, which I do not truly enjoy, but I am in too far to get out now. If I had it to do over again I would have majored in Health administration, or something of that nature.

Zurich5

to melissa_rm:

You still got two years to decide what you want to major in, so relax and enjoy your college life for now. ;)

The core curriculum at most colleges should expose you to many disciplines: English, biology, math, chemistry, physics, economics, fine arts, psychology, music, history, whatever. Whichever holds the greatest interest for you, declare your major in it when junior year rolls around. Meanwhile, you can take the dental pre-requisite courses and still remain undeclared, so no sense worrying about your major until the time comes to decide.

You can get into dental school on any major, as long as you took the pre-requisite courses. The world is your oyster.

P.S. In case you don't know what the pre-reqs are, they are: 1 year of freshman English, 1 year of biology, 1 year of general chemistry, 1 year of organic chemistry, 1 year of physics, and 1 year of calculus. Good luck!

to Zurich:

Any particular reason why you don't like being a biology major? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise anyone who desires to get a professional degree (MD/DO, DDS/DMD, JD, DPHARM, etc) to consider majoring in drama as an undergrad. Once you are out in the real world, you will discover that interpersonal relationship challanges can be just as demanding as technical challenges. Charisma, stage presence, or whatever you want to call it can be learned and can take you farther than you might have thought possible once acquired. Of course, you will still need to maintain an excellent academic record across the board including those pre-reqs, perform decently on the standardized admission test, and accumulate some credible extra currics.

Just take a lot of science courses whatever your major! I would change my major if i had the chance to. Biology, physics and chemistry and the other pre-reqs will cover the bases. However, science courses help you in the end.