Please help predict my chances! I am freaking out literally. Where are the gods amongst men?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bismillahjameela

Reaction score
I am a rising senior at East Tennessee State University with a sGPA of 4.0 and cGPA of 3.99 and my recent MCAT score was 500 (126,122,127,125). My top choice med school is Quillen College of Medicine which is itself linked to East Tennessee State University I am currently attending. Before my MCAT score arrived, I got an email saying my mcat score was pending, and my mcat score ended up actually coming two days later. Freaking out with a 500, I resubmitted my amcas application (on the same day lol before the committee got to even see my score) after adding a mcat retake date. Then I got an email saying they will wait for my future mcat score that I mentioned in the application.

So, I took the mcat two days ago and I am positive I did much better. My prediction is (C/P 129-130, CARS 121-122, B/B 129-130, P/S 128-129). I am not sure how much the low CARS score is gonna hurt me (not a Canadian btw). I really want to get into this school, I have had an interest ever since I moved to TN from Ohio.
Please give me advice into how I can show them that I am a great candidate. I have excellent extracurricular experiences so that is not a problem, I am just worried about the MCAT part. They say they look at the application holistically, but I am confused whether they will screen me out with the low CARS score (their 10th percentile score for CARS is 124).

Quillen stats: Median MCAT 508, Median GPA 3.81
Men/ Women ratio: 40/31 (I am a male so might be at an advantage)

I have also taken part in many of the events Quillen has hosted during previous years and I have made sure to include them in my amcas application.

Members don't see this ad.

What is going on with that title? Am i missing something?

Reactions: 1 users
I am a rising senior at East Tennessee State University with a sGPA of 4.0 and cGPA of 3.99 and my recent MCAT score was 500 (126,122,127,125). My top choice med school is Quillen College of Medicine which is itself linked to East Tennessee State University I am currently attending. Before my MCAT score arrived, I got an email saying my mcat score was pending, and my mcat score ended up actually coming two days later. Freaking out with a 500, I resubmitted my amcas application (on the same day lol before the committee got to even see my score) after adding a mcat retake date. Then I got an email saying they will wait for my future mcat score that I mentioned in the application.

So, I took the mcat two days ago and I am positive I did much better. My prediction is (C/P 129-130, CARS 121-122, B/B 129-130, P/S 128-129). I am not sure how much the low CARS score is gonna hurt me (not a Canadian btw). I really want to get into this school, I have had an interest ever since I moved to TN from Ohio.
Please give me advice into how I can show them that I am a great candidate. I have excellent extracurricular experiences so that is not a problem, I am just worried about the MCAT part. They say they look at the application holistically, but I am confused whether they will screen me out with the low CARS score (their 10th percentile score for CARS is 124).

I have also taken part in many of the events Quillen has hosted during previous years and I have made sure to include them in my amcas application.
That MCAT score is lethal for MD and is OK for DO, but you'd be DO at my school and several others.

If you're you're boning for the MD, you need to retake and score > 505 for the TN schools.

Otherwise, apply broadly to DO. Start list with LMU, CUSOM, ACOM, KYCOM and KCOM.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
That MCAT score is lethal for MD and is OK for DO, but you'd be DO at my school and several others.

If you're you're boning for the MD, you need to retake and score > 505 for the TN schools.

Otherwise, apply broadly to DO. Start list with LMU, CUSOM, ACOM, KYCOM and KCOM.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Kind of off topic but..
I applied to MSUCOM. I'm familiar with the Nassar case and that terrible retracted article calling DOs predators because of Nassar (Washington Post maybe? Don't remember the site)
How do you think Nassar will really affect this cycle? Lower applicants? Lower standards? Lower match rate for grads?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Kind of off topic but..
I applied to MSUCOM. I'm familiar with the Nassar case and that terrible retracted article calling DOs predators because of Nassar (Washington Post maybe? Don't remember the site)
How do you think Nassar will really affect this cycle? Lower applicants? Lower standards? Lower match rate for grads?

I don't believe that the Nassar case will have any notable influence on MSU admissions.

I don't believe that the Nassar case will have any notable influence on MSU admissions.
In line with my thoughts as well. I think it may affect perception and maybe poorer match rates? Maybe

We went to the same undergrad! Don't see a lot of ETSU people on here.

Your MCAT is low, and speaking as someone who knows the rigor of ETSU, that GPA doesn't really balance the MCAT performance. Predicting your MCAT doesn't work. I thought I would get a 510-520 and got a 524. You should apply to DO programs. I know people with strong associations to ETSU through Horizons and the gross anatomy internship, as well as a good amount of research at Quillen and high GPAs that didn't get in because of their MCAT.

Are you URM by any chance?

Last edited:
We went to the same undergrad! Don't see a lot of ETSU people on here.

Your MCAT is low, and speaking as someone who knows the rigor of ETSU, that GPA doesn't really balance the MCAT performance. Predicting your MCAT doesn't work. I thought I would get a 510-520 and got a 524. You should apply to DO programs. I know people with strong associations to ETSU through Horizons and the gross anatomy internship, as well as a good amount of research at Quillen and high GPAs that didn't get in because of their MCAT.

Are you URM by any chance?

Wow, excellent score you got there! No, I am not a minority but I am sure I did at least a 506 on the most recent exam. That score is around their median score. Do you think I have chances even if I get a low CARS?

Wow, excellent score you got there! No, I am not a minority but I am sure I did at least a 506 on the most recent exam. That score is around their median score. Do you think I have chances even if I get a low CARS?
A 122 CARS is pretty low. I don't believe ETSU does a screen though. From talking with admissions, it definitely seems like Quillen cares about ECs and overall fit. I think it will depend on what your "excellent ECs" actually entail. Being a male will not help your chances BTW.

ETSU looks at all scores for the MCAT.

First of all, don't put your hopes in one school. If you actually did a lot better (505+), apply to multiple (at least 15) schools that have your score within their 10th percentiles or higher. Plus had some DO schools (5 to 10) for back up. That's how people apply for medical school, and that usually results in a better outcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users