Please help, WILL C+ IN ORGANIC CHEM EQUAL NO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am panicking right now because I think that I might get a C+ in Organic Chemistry!!! The professor told me that I can still get a B, but only if I devote a lot of time to that final!! However, having Organic lab Final, Genetics Final, Physics Final, Sociology Final, and Religion final to study for I don't think that I will have that much time that I need to pull my grade up to a B. How will medical school look at if I get a C+ or a B in organic lecture and next semester (taking a light load of physic, organic i am going to take the O lab separately another semester, american government, and spanish) make an A in it. I am doing fine in all my other classes but its just the organic lecture that is keeping me down. Please yall I need some advice, I know that yall are all occupied with your final. By the way, good luck SDN with your final.

Members don't see this ad.

i got a C+ in 2nd semester orgo and have been accepted to medical school
however, i honestly can't tell you at this point how much it's affected me in the application process. i haven't gotten any rejections from the 20 schools I applied to, so I guess adcomms aren't looking at that big ugly C and rejecting me right off the bat. on the other hand, i'm not doing as well as i'd hoped, but that could be do to my overall weak science GPA.

one of my good friends got C's in both semesters of orgo, and was accepted to UCSF, out-of-state. i think the rest of his transcript was pretty much A's and A-'s. but i think that's about as strong of proof as any that even the most competitive schools won't discount you simply because of C's in orgo.

good luck and i hope you get that B! but if not, i'm sure you'll be okay.

It's not going to kill your chances, but try your best to bring it up to a B. In the overall picture, I don't think it was as important as I thought it was going to be.

Organic chemistry will generally be one of your hardest college courses, with a heavy emphasis on memorization. Medical school courses are very similar to what you will see in organic chemistry. So, medical schools use organic chemistry to gauge whether a student will be able to handle the type of workload a medical student might be faced with. A B in organic chemistry would certainly show that you could handle a medical school type workload. If you get a C+, that may send up a RED FLAG to some medical schools. Getting a C+ in some other course such as physics and general chemistry will not have the same effect. Most likley, you can bring up your science courses by doing better later.

I got a C- in an advance math course and a C in a advanced chemistry course and I still got accepted to one of the top medical schools in the country.(And no, I'm not a disadvantaged minority or a legacy, and my dad wasn't the dean of the school.)

Just relax, you're not going to do much better by worrying about it. But make sure you bring up your orgo grade. I think this will also help you with your other courses rather than hurt them by taking time away from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much you all. I thought that my chances for medical school will be diminish with a C+ (hopefully I get a B) in organic chemistry, knowing how important. Thanks again for your response and good luck with all your finals. Congratulations joelee955 and banannie on your acceptance to medical school. Hopefully I be where you guys are at in 2 years.

Raptor

I used to be like you. I would feek out if I got a C on any of my tests or quizzes, but I finally realize that no one is perfect. There are people my try. So to keep this short, don't stress it. it show that you are human and not a machine.

good luck on finals everyone.

i think that a c+ will DEFINITELY jeopardize your chances for getting in. i think what you should do is eat some fruity pebbles and take the course at a community course over summer. this recipe has been found to really assist applicants who have received a c+ in any course. good luck-

peter

Reactions: 1 user
You dont know if you are getting a C+ yet, that is the really scary thing. Instead of worrying about your premed options you should worry about studying since that C+ doesnt exist yet...

Originally posted by poloace
i think that a c+ will DEFINITELY jeopardize your chances for getting in. i think what you should do is eat some fruity pebbles and take the course at a community course over summer. this recipe has been found to really assist applicants who have received a c+ in any course. good luck-

peter

I totally agree with poalace...(I'm just kidding, so harsh P) :D

Raptor, chill dude. a C+ isn't going to kill your chances. Make up for it by getting an A in Biochem.

i have 3 Cs another 2 or 3 on the way, better start packing for janitory school...:rolleyes:

sorry raptor, i couldnt help it :) but really, much ado about nothing:cool:

I would say dont sweat it - I had a C+ in my first sem of organic and a C in my second and i just got in to med school.

Originally posted by immediatespring
i have 3 Cs another 2 or 3 on the way, better start packing for janitory school...:rolleyes:

sorry raptor, i couldnt help it :) but really, much ado about nothing:cool:

Immediatespring, I got my application to janitorial school already and my top choice is Mop University. I heard that they have good janitorial residencies placement.:laugh: :cool: . I am not stressing no more but I am studying hard for this Genetics Final and Organic Final. :clap: :rolleyes:

It's possible, I had a C in first semester Organic Chem, and I've been accepted to 2 schools so far. If you do wind up getting that C+, just make sure you study your ass off for the MCAT's. If you do well in the Bio section, that might make up for that C+ a little bit. And on a good number of my interviews, my interviewers joked with me about it, saying they didn't really care about that one grade and that it isn't going to make me a bad doctor. But, some schools are more concerned with grades than others....

Originally posted by Raptor
Immediatespring, I got my application to janitorial school already and my top choice is Mop University. I heard that they have good janitorial residencies placement.:laugh: :cool: . I am not stressing no more but I am studying hard for this Genetics Final and Organic Final. :clap: :rolleyes:

hey why single only me out? i didnt say anything bad! :laugh: :p

whatever raptor, good luck in ur finals ;)

good job Raptor! just do your best in all your courses and let the chips fall where they may.. I am another C in orgo I person who is currently a second year at a reasonably well-respected allopathic schools. I got a lot of B's during my freshman year of college and didn't get a great MCAT score either. I have posted my stats enough on SDN so that people are really tired of them, so I won't repeat them here. but you should be fine..

Originally posted by Katie
good job Raptor! just do your best in all your courses and let the chips fall where they may.. I am another C in orgo I person who is currently a second year at a reasonably well-respected allopathic schools. I got a lot of B's during my freshman year of college and didn't get a great MCAT score either. I have posted my stats enough on SDN so that people are really tired of them, so I won't repeat them here. but you should be fine..

Thanks Katie, I have been following your journey from a pre med to a medical student, and your story is worth commending. Immediatespring, you know its all love. You peeps are cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: