Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verheij

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am not from the US (Holland) could somebody tel me what RN, PA, DO MD and all this meens. I am trying to come to the US with my boyfriend. I am a nurse (RN?) but I would like to know what my options are to studie in the US!
Thank you.!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

In the order of amount of formal schooling required (some of them are very close to each other):

LPN - licensed practical nurse (usually associate degree level?)
RN - Registered nurse
RN, BSN - Registered nurse with a bachelor's degree in nursing (college degree)
CRNA - Nurse anesthetist, ability to practice anesthesia under physician supervision after completing RN, BSN and additional training
PA - Physicians Assistant - special post-college degree resulting in ability to practice supervised medicine
NP - nurse practicioner, a nurse who can practice medicine under physician supervision
MD - doctor of medicine, a doctor who evaluates and treats patients as part of a health care team with the above, and supervises NP's, PA's, etc.
DO - Doctor of osteopathic medicine, historically different from but overall similar to MD's with the exception of additional treatment in physical manipulation.

Unfortunately I don't know what requirements are to license overseas nurses to practice here in the states, but that should give you a good idea of what the abbreviations mean.

C

Hi Verheij, There is a nurse forum where you might be able to find out the requirements to get licensed in the US. Nursing in the US will be a bit different from what you are used to in The Netherlands. My daughter spent quite a lot of time in the Maastricht Hospital while we were there (we lived near Schinnen for 3.5 yrs.) I think most of the nurses that helped us were the equivalent of an LPN. The US is very short of nurses and has programs to get foreign nurses credentialed. The US consulate there maybe able to help you.
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
What is the practical difference between a LPN and a RN?

Verheij said:
Hi,
What is the practical difference between a LPN and a RN?

I think different states have different requirements.

Here in TX, we call them Liscensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs). It is a one year program usually at a community college, but we do still have some hospital run programs. Registered Nurses (RNs) have a two year associate degree from a community college. Some RNs go on to get the Bachelors in Nursing, but I have read that their duties are not significantly different than a 2 year RN - they just have more management opportunities.

As to what each can or cannot do, I am not sure of the specifics, but I know that LVNs can do less than RNs.

Good Luck with your move.

Most states would prohibit LPNs/LVNs from starting or administering any IV's or IV medications and blood products. Most hospitals, especially larger ones, would not use an LPN in a charge or management position.

Go for at least the RN - the opportunities are far more broad than an LPN.

Could someone recommend a hospital near Chicago, that's the place we are going to move to?!?!?!?!?