please help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m0na

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,i'm mona, and i'm new here.
i'm a dentist from jakarta, interested in taking orthodontics in us.
i'm completely clueless, so can anybody help me..
about dentistry school which'll except int'l dentist for ortho program and
how much money should i prepare for the tuition and living expenses?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

m0na said:
hi,i'm mona, and i'm new here.
i'm a dentist from jakarta, interested in taking orthodontics in us.
i'm completely clueless, so can anybody help me..
about dentistry school which'll except int'l dentist for ortho program and
how much money should i prepare for the tuition and living expenses?

thank you.

Your starting point should be to look into www.ada.org and find licensing and look for licensing for international dentists. You will find informations about schools that accepted graduates of foreign dental schools for Orthodontic program. also look into the website www.adea.com/PASS for application deadlines about different programs. It costs between $20000-49000 per year and duration is 24-38 months depending on school/ MS/ Certificate program.
Some schools require National Dental Board Examination part 1 & 2 with relatively high score, TOEFL with score above 250 and GRE.

It's all very daunting but you will see light once you try to wade through it. Good Luck. :thumbup:

rahmed

Selamat pagi! I visited Jakarta sometime ago... It was pretty humid and hot but nice sunny place. Anyway, if you are not a US graduate, then orthodontics is very competitive to get into. You will need to achieve high National Boards Parts 1 and 2, excellent letters of references from your Dean, orthodontic director at your school, other professional contacts. You will have to apply via PASS (www.adea.org) just like the rest of the US dental graduates. You will be told of your acceptance through MATCH (www.natmatch.com/dentres). Be prepared to travel to the US at short notice to sit your Parts 1 and 2 exams and interviews (if any). So have your VISA handy! Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
rahmed said:
Your starting point should be to look into www.ada.org and find licensing and look for licensing for international dentists. You will find informations about schools that accepted graduates of foreign dental schools for Orthodontic program. also look into the website www.adea.com/PASS for application deadlines about different programs. It costs between $20000-49000 per year and duration is 24-38 months depending on school/ MS/ Certificate program.
Some schools require National Dental Board Examination part 1 & 2 with relatively high score, TOEFL with score above 250 and GRE.

It's all very daunting but you will see light once you try to wade through it. Good Luck. :thumbup:

rahmed

hi rahmed, thank you for your reply
yeah i know, i'm a bit pessimist myself. do we really need GRE too?
any dental school suggestion that eccept in'l dentist,
and is the place to take the NBDE depends on which school i apply to, and when can i take it. I already read in ADA, it said only in july and dec, is that for written only or both.
thank you

BlueToothHunter said:
Selamat pagi! I visited Jakarta sometime ago... It was pretty humid and hot but nice sunny place. Anyway, if you are not a US graduate, then orthodontics is very competitive to get into. You will need to achieve high National Boards Parts 1 and 2, excellent letters of references from your Dean, orthodontic director at your school, other professional contacts. You will have to apply via PASS (www.adea.org) just like the rest of the US dental graduates. You will be told of your acceptance through MATCH (www.natmatch.com/dentres). Be prepared to travel to the US at short notice to sit your Parts 1 and 2 exams and interviews (if any). So have your VISA handy! Good luck...

selamat pagi to you too. it's actually night now, so slamat malam.
ohh.. are you visiting relatives or just travelling,..
it's really hot in jkt and it's getting hotter and hotter.
thank you for your reply, i'll do that. but i still haven't decide where i want to apply,.. can you help?
thank you
bye

Selamat malam! My parents were expatriates in Jakarta in the late nineties. I used to visit them during holidays. Anyway, as for the US graduate orthodontic programs, you will first need to decide which institutions to apply. This is probably the hardest as you don't know much about the US orthodontic schools. The best thing is to talk to someone who's already been there. SDN, internet is alright sometimes, but the best bet is to talk to someone face to face. Once you've figured out where you want to apply to (and to go for the interviews in case you are called), then start researching those insititutions, and "market" yourself. Make yourself known. Get you visa ready. If you are planning to come back to Indonesia after the training to teach in the academics, you may not have to go through the regular channel of orthodontic application. So, make up your mind as to where to apply, get your tests out of the way (TOEFL, GREs) and then start emailing the orthodontic program directors at your institutions of choice. Good luck!!