Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a senior this year and am applying to medical schools starting this June. I have taken the MCAT already the second time and am expecting score around mid-may. I have two options for the summer break to do a full time summer research or do a part time summer research at my local univeristy and may be do the EMT-B course at the same time with the latter option. I am applying in June, so I don't know if the EMT course will do me any good. Please post comments. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a LizzyM post straight out of the Adcom Advice sticky at the top:

Should i spend this summer working @ my old job as a physical therapy aide or use this time to stay @ college and get my EMT-B? This would allow me to get some more experience in while at college bc the PT job is too far away to do while in school. I already do the PT job on holidays. Would working as a PT aide in the summer and then getting the EMT-B in the fall be more impressive? Currently a sophmore. Thanks for help, I <3 YOU.

I have never seen an adcom member who was impressed by an EMT-B. If you work for several years as a EMT-B and you write about it in a reasonable manner (not making your PS sound like a screenplay for ER), then an adcom might be impressed but frankly, EMT-B are a dime a dozen among med school applicants.

Don't get the EMT-B unless you are going to use it (volunteer or employed). A paying job is always good and shows a willingness to be productive during your school breaks.

Seems that the full-time research will be more helpful. :thumbup:

I agree. Get the job and do a little clinical volunteering along side of it. You will get plenty of the EMT stuff in med school!

I agree. Get the job and do a little clinical volunteering along side of it. You will get plenty of the EMT stuff in med school!

EMT-B = (ACLS) + (driver's license) + (1st two weeks of med school)

:thumbup:

Good question.

It really depends on what you want to do. Don't do it because one looks better than the other.....

If you enjoy research, do research.

If you want to get more clinical experience, get your EMT-B and work in an ER.

Both are really good options for you to pursue. Personally, I'd go with research.

The EMT-B certification would be more valuable if you had time to actually practice as one. If you don't have any other clinical experience, the certificate by itself might not be enough to impress adcomms. Although, I think the course itself is interesting, gives you a glimpse into the world of EMS and some hospital exposure, and has value. If you're applying to research-oriented schools then full-time reasearch might look better. However, a bit of EMS and a bit of research might seem well-rounded and give you something to talk about in essays and interviews. IDoing things b/c you're interested in them always comes off better than doing them b/c you feel you have to have them on your resume.

This post isn't directed at you woodenhorse, but sadly your post made me realize something.

I don't think most people applying to medical school would cure cancer if the discovery were only possible after they had to submit their AMCAS application, and therefore, it wouldn't help them get into a "top" medical school.