Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kweed22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in need of some encouragement. I'm in the middle of my Princeton Review MCAT course and, a few days ago, I found out that my father died on May 11th (Mother's Day). My mother waited until she could fly up to Boston (where I go to school) to tell me. She didn't want to tell me when it happened because I was in the middle of exams. I understand that, but now I feel completely numb. He was very sick (multi-infarct vascular dementia) for pretty much my entire life and I really thought I had prepared myself for this moment, but now I'm realizing that no one could ever be prepared for this. Watching his illness progress is the reason I've decided to go into the medical field. I know he would want me to continue studying and I really am trying, but right now I just can't seem to focus. My life has not been easy and I'm used to dealing with constant crises, but I really don't know how to regain my strength. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm 20 years old and none of my friends have lost a parent, so although I appreciate their condolences, their kind words lack realistic advice. I don't want to fall behind and I want to take my MCAT as scheduled on July 18th, but I also don't want to suppress the emotions I'm feeling. I went to class today and took notes but wasn't really "there."

If anyone has any sort of advice, please I beg you for it. I'm trying to stay strong but I can't seem to stop crying and I really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for understanding. (And I'm sorry that this isn't about a specific MCAT question, but I don't know where else to post.)

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, I am sorry for what happened. I cannot even begin to think about how much that has affected you. :( If I were you, I would put the books away for a couple days and NOT think about it that much. But that is just me. Or, alternatively, I would do some light reviewing at the most.

Keep studying and if it really seems to be affecting you and you're not showing improvement or you're showing some negative trends in scores, I would consider postponing the test for the next month. There is no sense in going at it when you don't have everything to give, especially considering your circumstances.

Were you planning on applying to medical school for the upcoming cycle or the one after? Because there's no harm in waiting.:thumbup: