Please Rank These Chicago Programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No particular order. Please rank based on training. Thanks guys.

1. U. of Chicago
2. Northwestern Univ-Chicago
3. Northwestern Univ.-Evanston
4. U of Illinois-Chicago
5. Rush University
6. Loyola University
7. Cook County (Stroger) Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what though? Education? Career path? It will vary depending on whether you are research oriented or not. It also highly depends on what you are looking for out of residency.

In general, U Chicago and NW are the better programs (but not for every applicant, obviously). Rush has a good volume and good faculty, so I hear, and Loyola has its good points as well.

I really hate threads like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at most of the Chicago programs and ended up matching my first choice program this year which also happens to be in Chicago. I heard the same rumor as yaah did (re: Northwestern and Univ. of Chicago) and geared myself toward the former (away rotations, etc.) However, I was EXTREMELY impressed with the faculty and resident knowledge at Rush after doing an away rotation and changed my rank order last minute. If you really want to land a spot in Chicago, my advice is to check it out yourself and be wary of rumors. I would not have landed my goldmine if I had weighted everyone else's opinion over mine (and my gut.)

I really hate threads like this.

I love them. Only by arbitrarily assigning rankings to things in which rankings are unnecessary and invalid tools of measurement can we fully comprehend things and plan out our futures. The best thing about "ranking" threads is that if anyone is silly enough to actually post a rank list, others can argue it as though that opinion had any weight and/or relevance whatsoever.

You see, dear friends, I could give you my arbitrary ranking for those programs. Now, it would be stupid for me to do so because the only programs I know anything decent about are U Chi and NW, and that is because I interviewed there and know a couple of graduates (thus, I don't really know much about them at all). I know things about Rush and Loyola because I have met graduates. I know nothing about the others.

My advice, of course, is to pay attention to what others say when you are evaluating residencies and deciding where to apply/rank. But you must take every outside opinion with the following caveat: People are full of **** and have biases. And another caveat: opinions vary. To my astonishment, there are people who get actual pleasure out of things like sadomasochistic sexual behavior, piercing their genitalia, running triathalons, watching Drew Barrymore movies, watching American Idol, owning a pet snake, going to a tanning salon, and eating kelp. And these people actually DO enjoy these things, as best as I can tell, they are not deluding themselves. So be cautious of that, the person telling you program X is fantastic could be a kelp-eating, american idol-watching, snake-owning triathlete who enjoys having sex on a bed of nails with a woman brandishing a rusty chain whip.

And also bear in mind: The "individual ranking" idea where someone gives you their rankings of programs and it turns out to be invalid is really no different from making a research-like table where you rate programs on different scales and categories and spit out the winners. That's just different combinations of ****. If you add **** from 5 different animals together it is still ****!

[end rant]

I love them. Only by arbitrarily assigning rankings to things in which rankings are unnecessary and invalid tools of measurement can we fully comprehend things and plan out our futures. The best thing about "ranking" threads is that if anyone is silly enough to actually post a rank list, others can argue it as though that opinion had any weight and/or relevance whatsoever.
I agree...I don't hate these threads but I don't think they may be as useful as some might think. All you get on these threads are hearsay or the obvious.
To my astonishment, there are people who get actual pleasure out of things like sadomasochistic sexual behavior, piercing their genitalia, running triathalons, watching Drew Barrymore movies, watching American Idol, owning a pet snake, going to a tanning salon, and eating kelp. And these people actually DO enjoy these things, as best as I can tell, they are not deluding themselves. So be cautious of that, the person telling you program X is fantastic could be a kelp-eating, american idol-watching, snake-owning triathlete who enjoys having sex on a bed of nails with a woman brandishing a rusty chain whip.
Umm...interesting. Those thoughts are really out there. I think you've lost it man. :laugh:

I guess I would like to know more about these programs rather than a rank list. Kinda like on scutwork. Yes, I know what ppl write in these forums are hearsay, but maybe there are residents out there in these programs who can give me their experiences. I guess you can never know how a program is until you do an away there. However, since I am a USIMG, I am not able to do aways at ANY Chicago program.

Seems as if most of the posters in this forum are the same ppl posting.

Thanks.

I heard fairly recently that Cook County was going through a bit of a transition, with possibly some key members of faculty leaving.

For what that's worth.

1. University of Chicago.
2. Northwestern.
3. Rush
4. Loyola/University of IL/Northwestern @ Evanston
5. Cook County

No particular order. Please rank based on training. Thanks guys.

1. U. of Chicago
2. Northwestern Univ-Chicago
3. Northwestern Univ.-Evanston
4. U of Illinois-Chicago
5. Rush University
6. Loyola University
7. Cook County (Stroger) Hospital