Please rank...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

heather

Could you guys help me out with any information you know about these schools in regards to competitiveness. I am a Texas resident. Most of these schools are private institutions.
Tulane University
New York University
Brown University
Meharry Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loma Linda University
MCP Hahnemman University
Temple University

Members don't see this ad.

USnews.com ranks schools based on a variety of criteria. It also allows you to view 4 schools at a time and compare their "stats".

As far as being ranked by anyone who has not attended all of the schools (a somewhat amazing feat) would be difficult.

Your own ranking is the one that really matters. You need to find the qualities that appeal to you for each school and the things you dislike about each school. Give them numerical values, do the math, and put them in order.

Either that or go with whichever school gives you the best FA package.
smile.gif

Anyway, I dont want to sound mean, but I can invision the vast amount of responses you will get to this post either criticising schools, bragging about schools, or people simply telling you the same thing I am saying.

If you're looking for info from students on the schools you listed, that would be a good thing to do. And this is the place to ask people.

YOUR feelings about a particular school is what really matters. Not what "joemedstudent" says. Not the numbers.

Good Luck

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 08-08-2000).]

Although I have issues with the way they do their rankings, you might want to look at the US News and World Report list of the best med schools, although they rank my med school (Brown) pretty harshly. I would pay more attention to the rankings such as Reputation rank by academics and by residency directors, instead of things like Financial resources and NIH grant money (unless you're interested in research), which they rely on heavily for their rankings. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input. I am sure all of these are very good medical schools, but I am interested in the ACCEPTANCE RATES for each school. The competitiveness among them. That is what I would like you to reply to.

Originally posted by heather:
Thank you for your input. I am sure all of these are very good medical schools, but I am interested in the ACCEPTANCE RATES for each school. The competitiveness among them. That is what I would like you to reply to.

Here is some info gleaned from the usnews.com website. Note, however, that acceptance rates don't tell you a whole lot. I'll explain below..

Acceptance Rates (not all schools release this info):
Tulane University: N/A
New York University: 11.3%
Brown University: 6.5%
Meharry Medical College: N/A
Virginia Commonwealth University: 7.8%
Medical College of Wisconsin: 8.6%
Loma Linda University: N/A
MCP Hahnemman University: 7.4%
Temple University: 6.4%

These numbers only tell a piece of the story. Some schools, like NYU, attract applicants with higher scores and such -- while they may accept 11.3% of those who apply, the overall competition to get one of those spots may be higher than applying to a different school. In addition, some schools favor state-residents and your chances may be low if you're an out-of-state resident. Anyway, I'd check out the USNews website to see more of the info on these schools. Other good sources include the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements book published by AAMC), and websites for the schools in question. Good luck!

- Cameron

Cameron,
Thank you for your input. I will look in the US News report.