please read and help..confused about med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssemexant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a senior in high school. The high school I attend is really at a local college (it used to be a community college but it switched to a college i believe last year) and the program enrolls around 100 students their junior in high school and basically in the program we attend college full time and earn our AA along with our high school diploma when we graduate for free. Its a really great program and when I started I chose my major to be pre-med and took the first part of CHM and BIO and earned C's in both courses because I didnt really know what I wanted to do with my life and didnt take the courses as seriously as I shouldve because I wasnt totally aware at the age of 16 how competitive/hard it is to get into and attend med school. I then switched my major to something I believed to be much easier...psychology haha. However, I switched back to Pre-Med at the end of my life semester in the program (i graduate ina few weeks so I basically switched when school was over) because I matured and realized that premed is what I really want and although its gonna be rough I am willing to just do the work and look forward to great benefits later on in life when I finally graduate med school.

Okay now on to my dilema lol. As I stated before I already received two C's in Science courses and can admit that I didnt learn much (at 16 in college I wasnt taking the courses as seriously as I shouldve). I am going to be graduating next month and I figured although I have two years done maybe I should just start completely over, change my major to biology, and spend an extra year in college finishing up my prereqs and add a lot of volunteer hours and possible research, practice for mcat etc.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I just go on to CHM2 and BIO2 and finish in two years as expected? What would you guys do? Do you think med schools will frown upon my decision? I just dont want to make the wrong decision because I know how hard/competitive med schools are!

Members don't see this ad.