PLEASE read. Very stressed, need help with application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianPremed9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this website and I don't know where to post this under.
I have been stressing so much about this application process and I need some help from anyone.

I am a Canadian applicant applying to US medical schools (DO and MD).
My GPA is 3.68, EC are great, and my interview skills are great (not tooting my own horn, just trying to keep it simple- no problem in those areas). I have been averaging 34/35 on AMCAS MCAT tests.

I want to submit my application in June/July. Will I get accepted for an interview/ rejected by the schools before they see my MCAT or will they wait? If they wait, what is the point of applying early for schools with rolling admission?

Hypothetically, how low can my MCAT score be to still have at least one guaranteed interview (based on your educated guess, I know nothing is guaranteed).

I also haven't shadowed any DO or MD. Will that impact my application significantly?

LASTLY, I can't for the life of me come up with a finalized list of schools. I keep editing my list (adding and removing schools). I've found many posts giving lists of US schools accepting (known to accept, not just say they will) Canadians but upon further research it keeps getting smaller and now I have like 5 schools in my list.
Can someone please provide a good list? I am looking for middle and low tier schools since I don't want to waste my time with high tier schools.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give a list of schools that you're at least thinking about? It's hard to make a list for someone else from scratch (especially after I agonized over making my own list for days haha). Any geographic regions that you prefer?

What's your clinical experience like? If you haven't shadowed an MD or DO, how do you know you want to do medicine?

Here's the answer to your MCAT question: https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...amcas_application_without_my_mcat_scores.html

From my understanding, your GPA is competitive for DO and your projected MCAT scores (34/35) are excellent! You can probably get a 30 and still get into DO school, based solely on your stats. Less sure about MD schools because usually the median GPA is higher for MD. Do you have the AMCAS MSAR?

Thank you for the reply! Here is my list:

Eastern Virginia Medical School

George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California

Michigan State University

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

SUNY Upstate Medical University

Temple University School of Medicine
Uni. of North Dakota Sch. of Med. & Hlth. Sci.

University of Kentucky College of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

I have absolutely no preferences. I want to apply to everywhere that I have a shot at (including the low tier schools).
As for clinical experience, I don't want to type it all out but for 6-7 years now I've been extensively involved in a lot of EC, volunteering, clinical work, etc. so I'm good in that regard. Just no shadowing (but I might this summer).

I have already seen site that regarding the MCAT, but it doesn't answer my question. My question is: for schools with rolling admission, when your MCAT is received by them is when you are ready to be evaluated? As in, the earlier I submit my application is not important because they wait until my score is received?

Are you a Canadian applicant as well? I also have a list of DO schools that needs revision, if you have any information (i.e. are applying to DO as well).
Thank you!

Can you give a list of schools that you're at least thinking about? It's hard to make a list for someone else from scratch (especially after I agonized over making my own list for days haha). Any geographic regions that you prefer?

What's your clinical experience like? If you haven't shadowed an MD or DO, how do you know you want to do medicine?

Here's the answer to your MCAT question: https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...amcas_application_without_my_mcat_scores.html

From my understanding, your GPA is competitive for DO and your projected MCAT scores (34/35) are excellent! You can probably get a 30 and still get into DO school, based solely on your stats. Less sure about MD schools because usually the median GPA is higher for MD. Do you have the AMCAS MSAR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection? No Wait list, yes.
With rolling admissions, you get your results (yay or nay) rapidly (within weeks) instead of having to wait until June of next year.

I want to submit my application in June/July. Will I get accepted for an interview/ rejected by the schools before they see my MCAT or will they wait? If they wait, what is the point of applying early for schools with rolling admission?

For MD programs, it depends upon the school. The avg for matriculants is 32, but at Harvard, say, it's 36-37. I'd say the floor will be 30 (with 10/10/10).

Nothing is guaranteed in this process, but I'd guess a 32 should suffice forsnagging an interview.

Hypothetically, how low can my MCAT score be to still have at least one guaranteed interview (based on your educated guess, I know nothing is guaranteed).

It could kill it. You have to show us you know what you're getting into, and that you know what a doctor's life is like. Would you buy a new suit without trying it on? Buy a new car without test driving it?

I also haven't shadowed any DO or MD. Will that impact my application significantly?

AMCAS will process your application without the MCAT scores, and since AMCAS processing usually takes a while, submitting earlier is an advantage so that you won't have to wait as long for that. As for whether individual schools will look at your application before they receive MCAT scores, I'm not quite sure. My guess is that they won't since MCAT scores can make or break the application. You could probably call the individual schools to ask them.

I'm not a DO applicant but I have a friend who is attending UNECOM this fall and from what I've heard, that is a great school! I'm not a Canadian applicant either. So can't give you too much specific info! Sorry!

Is there a reason you picked so many state schools? I tried to avoid state schools (with a few exceptions) because in-state applicants are often given preference. It could be different considering that you are from Canada though. I'm applying to Temple and Georgetown as well! Have you been using the online MSAR?

Unless you have strong ties to ND (I.e., used to live there, spouse attends school in ND, etc.) you're app is going to get tossed at UND. The last time a true non-ND resident/MN/WICHE applicant was accepted there was 5 years ago, and that individual had a close family member doing his/her residency through UND. That individual also had near flawless stats. Also, I don't know that UND has ever accepted a foreign applicant. If they have it was at least 15+ years ago.

Edit: Regarding DO schools, I know KCUMB has accepted Candian applicants in recent years, though I can't speak to how common this is.

Edit edit: I see I've given you the exact same advice on your other threads that ask the exact same question.......

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I applied to so many state schools because I don't have any other schools for my list and I don't want to keep shortening it.
Can you please post your list? Do you know any Canadian accepting schools?

AMCAS will process your application without the MCAT scores, and since AMCAS processing usually takes a while, submitting earlier is an advantage so that you won't have to wait as long for that. As for whether individual schools will look at your application before they receive MCAT scores, I'm not quite sure. My guess is that they won't since MCAT scores can make or break the application. You could probably call the individual schools to ask them.

I'm not a DO applicant but I have a friend who is attending UNECOM this fall and from what I've heard, that is a great school! I'm not a Canadian applicant either. So can't give you too much specific info! Sorry!

Is there a reason you picked so many state schools? I tried to avoid state schools (with a few exceptions) because in-state applicants are often given preference. It could be different considering that you are from Canada though. I'm applying to Temple and Georgetown as well! Have you been using the online MSAR?

I would think you may have better luck at private schools than state. Beyond most state schools generally having strong in-state biases I have no real data to back this up - just an assumption. Another good source would be school websites or to just flat-out call schools in which you're interested. You might not always get the most up-front answers from some schools, but its at least worth something.

No actually i'm not kidding seeing as how people often post their list of schools and compare and contrast to better each other's lists. I have seen my friend's MSAR (online and print form).

You're kidding right? It a MSAR. It's like $25 and well worth the cost.