Please recommend schools to apply...very late in the cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been overconfident and only applied to a hand full of schools (2 DO, most MD). I'm starting to think that I should have applied to more to maximize my chances. Do you guys have any ideas of what schools I could still stand a chance at? 3.4, 28R

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lol i had similar stats to you except i had a 3.8, but i was humble and realistic. i didn't apply to any MDs because of my 28. i applied to 13 DOs and i got invited to 7 of them for interviews and i havent heard back from 6 of them.

anyways back to you. it depends on where your from and which areas you wouldnt mind going to. i made a friend at an interview in chicago and he was from Southern Cali. CCOM was great but he wasn't used to all the cold weather over there and he didn't know if he could adjust to that. so let me know where your preferences are. i think most schools right now have around 50% of their seats full so you still have a chance.

oh and also, some schools require a letter from a physician, some prefer DO over MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with angryazn. Your stats are terrible, but you have to a realistic when you're competing with a lot of 3.6+ & 31+ MD candidates. Adding more DO schools would be beneficial. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Well I should have specified that the MD schools I applied to are abroad. So thanks for saying that my stats are terrible @ND. I'm realistic. Anyway. I don't know any DOs so I would need a school that can accept an MD letter. I'm not really fussy about which city.

Thanks for your reply. Well I should have specified that the MD schools I applied to are abroad. So thanks for saying that my stats are terrible @ND. I'm realistic. Anyway. I don't know any DOs so I would need a school that can accept an MD letter. I'm not really fussy about which city.

I'm sorry to tell you that even though you say you applied broadly in regards to MD schools, you were still not being very realistic. Your stats are not horrible, but they are by no means competitive enough, unless you went to grad school, did a post-bac or have stellar EC's. I would recommend you add more DO schools, your chances are much better with them. Check out the aacomas/aacom website for a list of schools and find out which accept an MD letter and get going on adding them. Don't forget to take into consideration how receptive schools are to OOSers. Some like UNECOM and MSU for example accept very little OOS applicants. So if you're not from the area, don't waste ur time there.

i think ND meant to say "aren't" terrible.

LOL 3.4 and 28 and you applied MD exclusively? Serves you right.

If money is not a big issue, apply all DO schools.
If you have good shadows/volunteer experience, you have a sure shot.
if you ask in teh forum and wait for a list of sure shot schools, you will be losing time. Go to aacomas and submit to all DO schools and instate MD schools.
after applying, aske me or ant one else here what to do?
I assure you that your stat(3.4, 28R) is quite good to get an interview even now.
to verify my statement, look for UNDERDOG thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=736438)

HockeyDr09 [3.0,26] Interview (LECOM-E, Touro-NY) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
gatewasani [3.4, 24] Interview (WVSOM) ACCEPTED-WVSOM
DbDan [3.0, 33] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-NV, KCOM,Western-CA) ACCEPTED-AZCOM
megathunder [3.2,31] Interview (AZCOM, LECOM-E, KCOM, NSU-COM, Touro-NV, Touro-CA) ACCEPTED-KCOM, KCUMB
Sinfest [3.19, 27] Interview (TouroCOM-NY, LECOM-E, NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Western-CA, Touro-CA) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM
cliffhuxtableDO Interview (Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga, PCOM-Philly, Pikeville) ACCEPTED-LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga
DrDre2001 [3.15, 32] Interview (LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM)
Razmatazz [3.02,29] Interview (TouroCOM-NY, NSU-COM)
drctother [3.1, 30] Interview (Touro-NY)
futuredoc4432 [3.2, 29] Interview (NSU-COM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM, LECOM-E
sedaniel [3.19, 31] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM,Touro-NY, UNECOM, RVUCOM, LECOM-E, CCOM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, NSU-COM, Albany) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, RVUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM,MSUCHM
jgraha 16 [3.1, 24] Interview (WCU-COM, LECOM-E)
blueflower [3.1, 23] Interview (RVU-COM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, WVSOM) ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
JamesLMT [3.2, 24] Interview (Touro-NY,LMU-DCOM)
painmd87 [2.8, 28] Interview (LECOM-E, LMU-DCOM, Drexel) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
EgyptianDoc [3.1, 25] Interview (LECOM-E)
looktme [3.12, 31] Interview (Western-Lebanon) ACCEPTED-Western-Lebanon
vmorel1 [3.25, 28] Interview (LMU-DCOM, VCOM-CC) ACCEPTED-LMU-DCOM
wolverinepwns [3.25, 30] Interview (KCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, KCUMB
traitorman [3.11, 28] Interview NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM, UNECOM, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, Western) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM
Premed828 [3.25, 24] Interview (LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Touro-NV) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
mhami [3.2, 25] Interview (LECOM-E, KCOM, Touro-CA)
TallScrubs [3.10, 27] ACCEPTED-PCOM
Kayaker171 [3.01, 29] Interview (PCOM-GA, NSU-COM)
IowaDoc07 [3.55, 23] Interview (DMU-COM)
AntsMarching44 [3.0, 26] Interview (Western-Lebanon)
JokerSeven [3.10, 28] Interview (RVU-COM, CCOM, KCOM, LECOM-B)ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
CrissX [3.47, 24 (5 PS)]Interview (RVU-COM, SOMA, KCOM, VCOM)
IowaGirl22 [2.83,22] Interview (Touro-NV)

also read: Do not give up hope
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776150

My advice:
DO NOT POST IN THE FORUM BEFORE APPLYING TO ALL( OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN AFFORD) DO SCHOOLS and believe me you will be thankful to me on this advice.

Last edited:
This is tough as while you can submit now, and get secondaries in, nothing will be reviewed until after the Holidays, so no interviews until late January/early Feb.

I'd look at schools that aren't generally rolling, and ones which aren't too regional (unless you're from the region), and which reserve spots throughout the cycle. I think Touro-CA mentioned they keep spots open past April. I assume the other Touro's work the same.

I would disagree about applying to all DO schools. Like i mentioned before, some are region/state specific. I submitted my application my secondaries all very early, like by the end of July (with better stats than the OP) and have not heard a peep from MSU or UNECOM which I found out later are very state and region specific schools. If you dont' believe me, check their websites. To apply to these schools out of sate or region would just be a waste of money and time.

if you ask in teh forum and wait for a list of sure shot schools, you will be losing time. Go to aacomas and submit to all DO schools and instate MD schools.
I assure you that your stat(3.4, 28R) is quite good to get an interview even now.
to verify my statement, look for UNDERDOG thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=736438)

DbDan [3.0, 33] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-NV, KCOM,Western-CA) ACCEPTED-AZCOM
megathunder [3.2,31] Interview (AZCOM, LECOM-E, KCOM, NSU-COM, Touro-NV, Touro-CA) ACCEPTED-KCOM, KCUMB
Sinfest [3.19, 27] Interview (TouroCOM-NY, LECOM-E, NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Western-CA, Touro-CA) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM
cliffhuxtableDO Interview (Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga, PCOM-Philly, Pikeville) ACCEPTED-LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga
futuredoc4432 [3.2, 29] Interview (NSU-COM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM, LECOM-E
sedaniel [3.19, 31] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM,Touro-NY, UNECOM, RVUCOM, LECOM-E, CCOM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, NSU-COM, Albany) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, RVUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM,MSUCHM
blueflower [3.1, 23] Interview (RVU-COM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, WVSOM) ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
wolverinepwns [3.25, 30] Interview (KCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, KCUMB
traitorman [3.11, 28] Interview NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM, UNECOM, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, Western) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM

My advice:
DO NOT POST IN THE FORUM BEFORE APPLYING TO ALL( OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN AFFORD) DO SCHOOLS and believe me you will be thankful to me on this advice.

My advice:
The thing with the underdog thread is that most of them applied pretty early in the season so they had a pretty good shot at getting into the schools they interviewed at. The OP is pretty late in the season and by the time the OP receives any interviews, it will be super competitive for the remaining spots at most schools.

Thanks for all the info everyone. With the exception of triage, who still failed to read the part where I specified that I applied to overseas "MD" schools. I think I will just send some more applications tonight and see what happens. Some people seemed to interview late in last year's cycle and still got in. but as ang ry mentioned, some applied early or with better stats but just interviewed late. I guess I have nothing to lose. How does postbacc work? Is there somewhere in the forum you can refer me to?

thanks a bunch

Thanks for all the info everyone. With the exception of triage, who still failed to read the part where I specified that I applied to overseas "MD" schools. I think I will just send some more applications tonight and see what happens. Some people seemed to interview late in last year's cycle and still got in. but as ang ry mentioned, some applied early or with better stats but just interviewed late. I guess I have nothing to lose. How does postbacc work? Is there somewhere in the forum you can refer me to?

thanks a bunch

If you want to help your application for next cycle (in the event it doesn't work out this time), boost that GPA and if you can, possibly re-take the MCAT if you want to try for state MD schools as well as DO. Here's the link to the post-bac forum. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71