please suggest me-how an midwifery student can enter into M.D or dentistry field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

I am a midwifery student and i am doing my final year of my course.I want to pursue M.D(gynecology) or to become a dentist.Can any one suggest me what should i do to enter in these fields.

Members don't see this ad.

yes. first advice: figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. being a gyn and being a dentist are two very different professions. they have some things in common since they are both healthcare professions, but you can't say "i want to be a gyn or a dentist".. you need to figure out what you want to do and why, and then focus on getting accepted

...they have some things in common...
Ya they deal with labial surfaces :laugh:

You need to figure out what you want to do. Since you are doing midwifery going into ob/gyn would make the most since, but to get there you need to start off at the same spot every pre-med student does, gen chem, bio, physics, english, ochem, MCAT, etc.
Then after you get into med school you would still need to fight for that residency, though I think being a midwife would help a little but its not guaranteed.
Why are you interested in both fields?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi

I am a midwifery student and i am doing my final year of my course.I want to pursue M.D(gynecology) or to become a dentist.Can any one suggest me what should i do to enter in these fields.
midwifery?!
what century are you from?

wow, what an interesting field of study you have!

Umm... as far as dentistry is concerned, you have to do it like everybody else: take your pre-reqs classes, take the DAT, shadow a dentist/do some sort of extracurricular (optional, but recommended), get some rec letters and apply!

I dont know about midwifery to dentistry, but I've heard the midwifery to alchemy transition is much smoother...

all jokes aside, i suggest you research both areas. I assume you have more exposure to gyno, so i recommend shadowing a dentist for about 20 hours to see if it's for you.
Further assuming that gyno or alchemy is not your cup of tea, and dental work is, then you need 5things to get you into a dental school:
1. A bachelors degree - preferably from a University (non votech or CC)
2. High GPA (especially in prereq classes) in the 3.5+ zone.
3. High DAT Score (19+)
4. 80 + observation hours in dentistry
5. Strong extracurriculars to show you off as a well rounded individual.

But seriously, get your ducks in a row about which field you want to go into. My 6th sense is telling me that the only determining factor thusfar has been money - a veeery wrong way to go about choosing a career. but that subject is :beat:

midwifery?!
what century are you from?

Those of you who are making ignorant comments such as these really need to learn a bit more about health care and not be such ignoramuses. honestly, don't say such rude, stupid things.

On another note, in America there are two types of midwives-- nurse midwives (people that go to nursing school and then go on to do advanced specialization in midwifery) and direct entry midwives. Both are licensed and certified and basically do most of the work in assisting the mother during labor and delivery and work with the OB.

And to answer your question of what century the OP is from... well it's the 21st century where women still give birth to babies, you ignorant **** :laugh: