Plzzzzz clear my mind about national board exams!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am a dental student studying in an under-developed country but i do intend to give national board. currently am in IVth year(final year). i have a sister living in united states(dallas,texas).
I just have few questions to clear my mind so plzzz help me pals!!

1. should i apply for nbde part 1 immediately after 4th year before my house job? coz the clinical things that we do in house job,i have done in 4th year some how. my clinical skills are mastered with the grace of Lord in extractions and prosthetics. so shall i leave my house job and apply for visa and come in usa and give part I. this will take 6 months,so i will start planning in advance.

2. The procedure in my mind is like

NBDE PART I------NBDE PART II------NICE SCORE---STATE LICENSING EXAM---PAID RESIDENCY IN A HOSPITAL----AFTER 3 YEARS OF HARD WORK----YUPPY AM ELIIGIBLE TO PRACTICE IN THE STATE ANYWHERE COZ AM A DMD OR DDS!!!!!

is this the right format??????

3. or

PART I---PART II----STATE LICENSURE---NOW GET ADMISSION IN A DENTAL SCHOOL AND REPEAT YOUR 3RD AND 4TH YEAR...HOLY COW??? IS IT SO???

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HELP....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

u r going wrng smewhr..

give part 1, apply to dental school fr dmd/dds-(2 or 3 years of international dentists-known as advanced standing program or international dentist program), few schools require only part 1 score for admission, few require both part 1 and part 2. good to have both scores.
part 1 includes subjects of 1st and 2nd year
part 2: subjects of 3rd n 4th year,

once you have completed the international dentist program, you will be awarded a dds/dmd degree, which gives you the license to practice, now different states have different requirements other than dds/dmd from an ADA accredited dental school being common for for states.

few students , instead of going for dds/dmd. they clear the part 1 and part 2 and apply for residency/postgraduate program. this gives you license for private practice in very few states which give you the license to practice after 2 years of post doctoral education from an ada accredited dental school. I am not sure about future job opportunities w/o dds/dmd frm US, but alone postdoctoral degree, (i am also trying to figure that out.)

hope this helps..
u might want to go thru international dentist forum on sdn , http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.asp
http://www.ada.org/