PM&R Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehul_25

Dude!!!
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else irritated about the change in the PM&R boards. Prior to last year the boards were administered in May of PGY-IV. Last year they were moved to August. Right in the heart of the learning curve for new jobs and new fellowships. I know that some of the logic was to synchronise us with other specialities (although Anesthesiology is in July) and to avoid residents sharing questions with junior residents but the primary end result is that we got screwed especially as we are in the first years of this change.

Members don't see this ad.

I am irritated by the change as well. I havent studied very much for PM&R boards since fellowship started. I want to read up on Pain, but the time I have left at the end of the day to read I spend going through Cuccurillo while my Anesthesia counterparts are reading pain texts and journals. I feel behind in BOTH pain and PM&R reading. I think that the boards should be changed to early July!

I think late May, early June would be ideal if not then first week of July like Anesthesiology would be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
mehul_25 said:
Is anyone else irritated about the change in the PM&R boards. I know that some of the logic was to avoid residents sharing questions with junior residents.

Somehow I don't see this as much of a deterrent.

I echo these sentiments. I'm in the same boat (anesthesia pain fellowship). What are you guys using to study? I'm using cucurullo and pocketpedia (if I have time for it). I'm skipping areas I'm strong in based on the SAEs (although we know how nuts those SAEs are). I mean how could I score in the 80th percentile in a topic I had not yet rotated in???!!! I should not waste any more time talking about those damn SAEs....

Anyway, best of luck to you all, especially those in fellowships right now.

bbbmd said:
I am irritated by the change as well. I havent studied very much for PM&R boards since fellowship started. I want to read up on Pain, but the time I have left at the end of the day to read I spend going through Cuccurillo while my Anesthesia counterparts are reading pain texts and journals. I feel behind in BOTH pain and PM&R reading. I think that the boards should be changed to early July!

Here is another thing that pisses me off: I find that at the end of the day I'm enjoying my pain fellowship readings. Pretty cool stuff. Reading up on stroke and peds rehab right now is KILLING ME!

I'll join in the bitch fest.

It is very frustrating to not be ablt to focus on making the most of my fellowship because I have to study every day for boards. I am not sure who benefits from the change.

And I also agree that the putative reason for the change (to prevent dissemination of questions) doesn't even work. I am not sure how the change to August changes anything.

I also resent the whole lack of transparency in the board process. Other boards, like internal medicine, release old questions. This is a standard practice for many testing agencies- the MCAT and the SAT also release old questions. The board (ABPMR) gives us a very broad list of topics, but nothing specific.

The most ridiculous aspect is that all the residents are studying with Cuccarillo, and everyone knows the little book-marks are based on old board questions, so even though they've made changes, everyone is essentially studying old board topics if they use Cuccarillo. So what's changed?

I'm tired, I'm cranky, and I'd much rather be reading my ISIS guidelines instead of about SCI right now.

I'll continue this crap fest by referring to my other post in which I query what is a passing score on this exam? How is is scored? I can't find the info anywhere on the ABPMR website! Hopefully I'm overlooking the obvious here.

By the way, I really like the ISIS guidelines book.

I guess we're all online procrastinating at the same time.

Yeah, I love the ISIS guidelines too. I find Bogduk extremely readable.

it will be interesting to see what happens when August 23rd rolls around. I am tempted to think about all the non-boards reading I want to do, but there is also a huge part of me that just wants to crash and decompress a bit too.

I agree with the statements above, I wonder how many other people are frustrated who dont post here.

Also the boards are August 22nd right? Not the 23rd...

The ISIS guidelines sound like they are great, too bad I havent had the chance to open them because of the sweet boards.

By the way, anyone going to the Medtronic courses? I am going to Minneapolis...

mehul_25 said:
I agree with the statements above, I wonder how many other people are frustrated who dont post here.

Also the boards are August 22nd right? Not the 23rd...

The ISIS guidelines sound like they are great, too bad I havent had the chance to open them because of the sweet boards.

By the way, anyone going to the Medtronic courses? I am going to Minneapolis...

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

The only thing that aggravates me more is the idea of having to learn it all over again in 10 years for re-certification while our current attendings bask in "certification for life!"

I can just see myself 10 years hence at another review course thinking, "Now, let's see...increasing the posterior stop on a single axis foot does what to the flexion moment at the knee?? Moving the socket forward affects the stride how in a AKA?? What's the normal developmental age for a toddler to stack 3 blocks, recognize mommy, and hold a spoon with an over-pronated wrist, and babble appropriately??"

Just the very thought is making me hyperalgesic...

A long day at my fellowship, plus coming home to two screaming kids, and trying to study for the boards is not fun!! :mad:

At least my fellowship is PMR run, so all of the fellows are in it together...and the attendings are more understanding about us needing to study.

Can't wait til it'll all be over...tick tock...

So,

What did everybody think?

Personally I was expecting much worse. Not that bad, only took a half day.

To any current and future PM&R residents:

Cuccurullo + Pocketpedia + any practice questons your program may or may not have,

Money.

Members don't see this ad :)
drusso said:
Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

The only thing that aggravates me more is the idea of having to learn it all over again in 10 years for re-certification while our current attendings bask in "certification for life!"

Just the very thought is making me hyperalgesic...

I'm beginning to think maybe we should just solidify our residency requirements and cut down on the subspecialization.

Imagine in 10 years recertifying PM&R, then Pain, Sports Med, EMG, hopefully that will be it... Spine/MSK?

Ugh... :thumbdown:

In short, I agree with the below. I think it might have been even better to just memorize pocketpedia (which is not as bad as it sounds, not like I memorized it but it is short), use cuccurullo for the "bookmarked" items only, and you'd be set.

Disciple said:
Cuccurullo + Pocketpedia + any practice questons your program may or may not have,

Money.

The boards were easier than I anticipated. I felt like the time studying Cuccarillo was well spent. And as much as I resented the exam at times, I guess I am glad I was forced to solidify my knowledge base once.

That said, I resent having to relearn all this stuff again in 10 years.

I'd add that the old SAEs and the Archives Study Guides were a useful studying tool

If I pass, why do I anticipate posting my dissatisfaction with the impending oral boards in ~8 months time here...

I thought that it was a reasonable exam. I was a little frustrated by the repeated use of eponymous labels for things instead of just describing what a particular device does in simple biomechanical terms.

It was a fair exam. Cuccurillo, pocketpedia and old SAE questions were the most useful for me. I didnt find the old question bank very useful (maybe I got a bad set). I think that if someone put in a lot of time studying for it using the above resources, they would have breezed through the whole thing. Of course, finding time to study was the most difficult aspect of board review given most of us just started a job or a fellowship!!!

So, anyone find out how many of the questions we needed to get right to pass??? I heard 60% from various resources. When are the results going to be released?

I called the ABPMR and asked them how it was scored and what was needed to pass.

They would not tell me.

They convert the raw score into an "equated score" of 800 points. Each question is worth a different number of points based on a lot of black magic that they refused to explain to me "we consider how hard each question is...its not curved...but its not a straight percentage...".

The bottom line is that you need an equated score of 405 out of 800 to pass. This does not mean you need 50% correct to pass. An equated score of 405 could equal 90% correct or 5% correct, who the hell knows because the ABPMR won't release their psychometric conversion info.

bbbmd said:
So, anyone find out how many of the questions we needed to get right to pass??? I heard 60% from various resources. When are the results going to be released?

I would agree that it was a pretty fair exam. There were a few times, though, that I thought they were getting a little too cute with how they were writing questions, and deliberately writing it in a way that was confusing. I also agree that they need to move away from eponyms in naming things, and use a standard nomenclature.

I understand that the Elkins winner gets 80-85% of questions correct, but htat the board deliberately obscures how much you need to get right to pass.

After you become a diplomate, you must wait 5 years to submit an application to get on a test review / board question committee.

I found out the day I got my ABPMR PM board scores back and since I passed and thought this was the worst written exam I ever laid eyes on, I had the right to complain and see how I could make a difference.

I got the response from the ABPMR- submit your CV and a cover letter in 5 years. Bye bye.

Understanding Scaled Scores

The ABPMR administers a different version of the Part I examination each year. Because these versions differ slightly from one another in difficulty, the number correct achieved by Candidates tested with different versions cannot be directly compared. A statistical process called equating is therefore conducted to put all scores from all test versions on the same scale. To aid score interpretation, this scale is usually quite different from number correct. For example, the Part I scale, which ranges roughly between 200 and 800, determined that Candidates who tested for the first time in 1998 had an average scaled score of 500. Each possible number-correct score on the version of the exam administered in 1998 had a corresponding scaled score. Note that these scores are neither percentage points nor are they constructed on a curve where a certain percentage would pass or fail.

Procedurally, scaling is simply a pair of conversions. For each test, the first conversion—equating —converts number correct on the current exam version to the version administered in 1998. The second step then employs the conversion of 1998 number-right scores to scaled scores. The 1998 exam serves as a basis or reference for all subsequent exams.

The 1998 exam also functioned as a basis for setting the initial specific passing standards. Expert review of the 1998 exam by a panel representing a broad constituency of physiatrists established the pass-fail point, called the "cut score," through a process called standard setting. The cut score represents the standard of performance required to pass the examination. Those who meet or exceed the standard pass the exam. The conversion of number-correct to scaled scores was chosen so that this proportion mapped to a scaled score of 405. Because the equating process ensures that performances on new versions of the exam are converted to equivalent performances on the 1998 exam, the passing score can remain constant even as the exam changes slightly from version-to-version.

Content Area Scoring
Examination scores aren't just a question of pass or fail. The scores are also structured to reveal, by content area, Candidates’ strengths and weaknesses.

Domain section scores range from 1 to 10. This 1-to-10 point range is intentionally narrow, because the section scores are often based on a small number of test items. Scores based on such relatively small numbers of items should be interpreted with caution and may not truly reflect performance on a larger sample.

when are we supposed to get our scores??

PM&R boards scores are available....check the abpmr website.