PM&R Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StressedMedStud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I have a question about PM&R.

For the residency I understand that the first year is an internal medicine year then you apply to PM&R residency.

So in your 4th year of medical school how does it work? Do you apply only to an intern year then apply again for PM&R residency? OR Do you get accepted to the PM&R residency with the intern year?

I have no idea how this works and not sure what is the difference between Intern year/traditional year/ prelim year.

If someone can explain this to me that would be sooooooo awesome!

Im a 3rd year student in case you are wondering :)

Members don't see this ad.

So let me ask you guys - In my 4th of med school, should I apply for PGY-2 PMR residencies at the same time I apply for Traditional Internship PGY-1 positions ???

I am so lost please someone help, thanks!

You apply to intern years and residencies both during your 4th year. You will interview at both during that year and match to both at the end of that year.

Also regarding intern years, you have various options. Most common is to do either a Traditional Rotating internship (like doing your core clerkships again but as an intern) or a medicine prelim year (almost all medicine and IM subspecialties). You can also other prelim years (surgery, peds, family med, etc).

The other option is to do a categorical residency which means it is 4 years instead of separate 1 year and 3 year programs.

I would read this for more info:
http://www.aapmr.org/career/students/career-planning/Pages/guide-to-apply.aspx

You apply to intern years and residencies both during your 4th year. You will interview at both during that year and match to both at the end of that year.

Also regarding intern years, you have various options. Most common is to do either a Traditional Rotating internship (like doing your core clerkships again but as an intern) or a medicine prelim year (almost all medicine and IM subspecialties). You can also other prelim years (surgery, peds, family med, etc).

The other option is to do a categorical residency which means it is 4 years instead of separate 1 year and 3 year programs.

I would read this for more info:
http://www.aapmr.org/career/students/career-planning/Pages/guide-to-apply.aspx

Thank you ! I think I get it now! :)