PM&R Part 1 Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted554870

Took Part 1 boards on Monday…. It was hard. I know we can’t discuss questions but so many random topics and vague/confusing question stems. Left feeling pretty defeated and dumb. Kind of feel like the exam didn’t actually test my knowledge. Either that or I completely studied the wrong material. Really praying I don’t fail and have to retake. Not sure if anyone else felt like this. It’s going to be a long 6-8 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much everyone feels like that. Only a small percentage actually fail.

Don’t worry you will get the same experience every 3 months once you get board certified.

I thought I failed it. I was fine. About 75% of the test was directly from the board review book. But it often was bullets that were finer details. About 15% was largely biomechanics/O&P that required experience. The last 10% was random and no amount of studying would prepare you for it.

In hindsight I would have memorized every line of the board review book verbatim and prepped more on O&P

Members don't see this ad :)
From you that recently took the test..any recs besides the board review book?

Pm&R recap questions versus the pm&r qbank review question set? Are either worth buying?

PM&R Recap helped with EMGs, neuropathies/myopathies the most for me. Broke it down into easy to digest basics because Cuccurullo's chapters on them are a disorganized mess. So I would say worth a buy. I think I bought the PM&R Qbank too

The QBANK is incredibly simplistic compared to the boards. It’s not bad but don’t get disillusioned that it is anything like the real boards. The complexity of the questions are much more challenging on the boards. QBANK isn’t bad if you need questions to stay engaged. The board review books are all of the content you really need to know to pass but the challenge is finding a way to get every details of those books in your head because it can be quite dry. I wouldn’t highlight Cuccurolo. You’d need to highlight the entire book.

I felt very similar to you. I, along with my co-residents felt the exam was very disconnected from modern day PM&R residency. I found the aapm&r qbanks to be helpful in studying because qbanks are really how I learn/retain info (these days) and not reading factoids in a book.

Last edited:
Throughout my med school career and boards were no different I had a common theme. If I thought the test wasnt that bad or difficult, its because i did not know what I did not know and usually did poor. If I felt like a heavyweight fighter that just went 15 rounds and got the stuffing beat out of me then I would do ok. Written boards were no different and just glad they changed recertification so we just do quiz questions each quarter. Best of luck to all that just took them.

I took the same test and agree it sucked. What's giving me peace of mind is knowing we all had the same test and I don't have to do perfect, just better than a small percentage of my peers (sad, right?). We all study from the same general review material so just need to believe you learned it a little better than a few other individuals.