PM&S-36 Vs PM&S-24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are there 2 year residencies? I would think that most students want to do the three year program inj the first place so why not make the 3 year programs the standard. I can underdtand that some people might not want to mess with the ankle in practice but shouldn't they at least have the training and elect not to use it. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are there 2 year residencies? I would think that most students want to do the three year program inj the first place so why not make the 3 year programs the standard. I can underdtand that some people might not want to mess with the ankle in practice but shouldn't they at least have the training and elect not to use it. What are your thoughts?

I agree and many programs are moving toward the 3 year model.

There are still some 2 year programs that do not have anyone to teach the rearfoot and ankle so they cannot be a 3 year.

You are right on! Regardless of what you want to do after your training, you should want to get the best training possible. In a survey done last year, 95% of students did desire a 3 year residency. I don't forsee 2 year programs being around for too much longer.

Members don't see this ad :)

actually, 2 year residencies do in fact expose you to rear foot, forefoot and in some cases, ankle surgeries but the number of cases are obviously less than those at a 3-yr program so consequently, you wouldn't be eligible for Rearfoot or re-constructive foot and ankle certification.

I do know a few people in my class (intelligent people I may add) who are looking for the 2 year programs because of personal/family reasons (some were women who want to practice part-time for example), while others do not want to perform surgeries at all.

I definately agree that the standard should always be 3-years for more uniformity in the profession, even if some DPM's choose to not perform some of the foot and ankle procedures, but at least it maintains a standard in our profession, by which our colleagues can identify us - and of course, to eliminate confusion about who we are and our level of training in the future.

As a soon-to-be CPMS student I am just curious as to what are some of the best PM&S-36 residency programs around the nation. I know that there are a few good ones in the midwest, but what about outside the midwest? Insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Goldengustie

As a soon-to-be CPMS student I am just curious as to what are some of the best PM&S-36 residency programs around the nation. I know that there are a few good ones in the midwest, but what about outside the midwest? Insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Goldengustie

There is a thread at the bottom of the "residency" forum entitled "Rankings" with this discussion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306230

Thanks Jonwill, very much appreciated! :thumbup:

I was actually looking at this the other day. These are the minimum numbers required by the CPME for a resident to successfully complete residency.

PM&S-24

B- and C-level procedures (total): 350

C-level procedures, including (see Appendix):
Digital procedures: 80
First Ray procedures: 60
Other Soft Tissue Foot Surgery procedures: 45
Other Osseous Foot Surgery procedures: 40
Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle procedures: 0

PM&S-36

B- and C-level procedures (total): 525

C-level procedures, including (see Appendix):
Digital procedures: 100