Relevancy of PM News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam Smasher

APMA Seal of Approval
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been interesting to me browsing this forum and comparing it to PM News. Just in terms of the tone, the topics that are discussed, and the contributors. PM News is a good source for gossip but it feels like it's targeted towards the oldschool docs. A recent survey of 871 PM News readers found that half of them had 1 year of residency training or less.

PM News is unrealistically positive when discussing podiatry. They sweep scandal and controversy under the rug. There is another podiatry website out there that refers to PM News as "Pravda," which is apt. In the past few years since I was active in these forums, I have noticed the tone of SDN (and some users) to be more critical of our profession. I find it refreshingly honest to come here and see many of us frustrated with where we are professionally and can talk about this openly.

As for the topics of articles, I find them to be bland puff pieces. Local podiatrist appears on morning News show to talk about running, well good for them, isn't that nice.

What really baffles me is the small-D energy coming from the contributors. People write in talking about flexor tenotomies like it's a stressful high risk procedure. People still get into tense discussions about ordering LFTs before prescribing lamisil. And when the biomechanics guys write in you can tell they are lapsing into dementia. Allen Jacobs is a frequent and insightful commentator, but he has his crotchety moments. I recall a debate about trimming patient's fingernails, and people discussed with all seriousness the potential liability of practicing outside of scope (the correct answer to any patients asking this by the way is GTFO my office).

So I guess I'm still reading PM News, and yes I'm aware that if PM News readers are nuts, and I'm a PM News reader, what does that make me? But it doesn't feel like it's for anyone who's been in practice < 5-10 years. They debate things that don't matter but ignore big controversies.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
They are collectively called "throwaway 'journals'" for good reason... PM News and Podiatry Today PodiatryM are total junk... ditto with the APMA Alert and JAPMA and such.

There just aren't enough hours in the day to waste time on basically a brochure of ads, sponsored articles, ....with a few "surgical articles" (mostly written by people who failed surgical boards) mixed in. A lot of the coding and product info in those mags and on the websites is wrong or unproven... many biologics, DME, etc infomercials disguised as advice and science in those pubs.

...Probably stick to JFAS, FAI, JBJS, good texts, other high quality stuff? Most of the other F&A journals are just ones that largely take the reject papers from those three. I really don't really see how any attending who's in demand and busy has time so read much anyways, so you have to read high quality stuff when you do. I know that I sure don't have much time aside from my CME weekend or two and board exam time.

Reactions: 1 user
I recall a debate about trimming patient's fingernails, and people discussed with all seriousness the potential liability of practicing outside of scope (the correct answer to any patients asking this by the way is GTFO my office).
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In all seriousness does anyone know a Hand Surgeon that trims fingernails? How did podiatry get stuck with toenail trimming. You see a 40 y/o diabetic otherwise healthy patient asking for their toenails to be trimmed and they are mostly on medicaid. They always say their PCP told them not to cut their toenails. It's like a nationwide campaign paid for by who knows who.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The website looks like it was made in the late 90’s. With ads all over the place. makes sense that the average reader is a mustache pod in their 50’s-60’s.

Reactions: 2 users
PM news or as I like to call it BM News is a way to keep Barry Block employed. He posts the most embarrassing crap including the shoe of the day. Very professional, do you see urologists posting catheter of the day.

It’s all happy fluff. Have to give him credit. Has a DPM degree and never practiced a day. Has a law degree and never practiced a day.

So instead he writes fluff and collects money from advertisers. Maybe he’s smarter than us.

Reactions: 6 users
PM news or as I like to call it BM News is a way to keep Barry Block employed. He posts the most embarrassing crap including the shoe of the day. Very professional, do you see urologists posting catheter of the day.

It’s all happy fluff. Have to give him credit. Has a DPM degree and never practiced a day. Has a law degree and never practiced a day.

So instead he writes fluff and collects money from advertisers. Maybe he’s smarter than us.

He loves posting about podiatrists getting sued as well. He’s a real troll.

Reactions: 1 users
He loves posting about podiatrists getting sued as well. He’s a real troll.
I don’t know the guys backstory, but last year he posted about a podiatrist who was promoted to general manager at a plumbing company. It listed his credentials too (which were impressive, he had been a residency director at a power program) but it was just so odd and depressing, like he was going out of his way to take shots at this guy who I’m assuming went through some things

I don’t know the guys backstory, but last year he posted about a podiatrist who was promoted to general manager at a plumbing company. It listed his credentials too (which were impressive, he had been a residency director at a power program) but it was just so odd and depressing, like he was going out of his way to take shots at this guy who I’m assuming went through some things
Yep, he was going into the family plumbing business. Guess now he has to put up with a whole different form of sh-t.

• Haha

Agreed. The older podiatrists who still have a say do not have podiatry’s best interests in mind. They are here to suck up every last ounce of money from this profession. In the process are completely deteriorating it from the inside out.

You all will see. We are never going to get out of these 75-100k offers. Which has a trickle down effect to all the podiatrists getting employed in ortho groups and hospitals. It just continues to drive down the starting salaries and makes it harder for us to negotiate higher salaries when we try to get a new contract.

As noted above, I use PM News for gossip. Clearly you don't go there if you want to learn something. It's my Jerry Springer show. You have a mix of out-of-touch academics and blatant fools.

All I wonder is why are you guys and podiatrists I know personally mostly smart, while all the PM News writers are all mostly not?

Agreed. The older podiatrists who still have a say do not have podiatry’s best interests in mind. They are here to suck up every last ounce of money from this profession. In the process are completely deteriorating it from the inside out.

You all will see. We are never going to get out of these 75-100k offers. Which has a trickle down effect to all the podiatrists getting employed in ortho groups and hospitals. It just continues to drive down the starting salaries and makes it harder for us to negotiate higher salaries when we try to get a new contract.
10 years later, the starting salary of new pods will continue to hover around $80k - $100k and even lower in highly desirable saturated cities.

Podiatry Private practice is never going to die or who else will hire the over 500 pods we are graduating every year.

I read PM News every day, then mark it as spam.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I do feel like I am in the 90s with the general cluttered format, shoe of the day and daily blurbs from podiatrists about how wearing flip flops are bad.

The fact that their is not a more modern looking and well polished prominent magazine, website and e-mail newsletter speaks volumes for the profession in general.

I personally find PMnews to be very entertaining.

Its sad. Its shameful. But entertaining.

It’s been amazingly educational for me. Without BM News I would never know it’s important to wear warm shoes during a blizzard and that it’s not a good idea to walk across hot tar barefoot.

I’m still a little confused if I’m supposed to put my socks on before I put my shoes on or vice versa. So I diligently look daily to see if that issue will be addressed.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It’s been amazingly educational for me. Without BM News I would never know it’s important to wear warm shoes during a blizzard and that it’s not a good idea to walk across hot tar barefoot.

I’m still a little confused if I’m supposed to put my socks on before I put my shoes on or vice versa. So I diligently look daily to see if that issue will be addressed.
Right sock over left foot
UNLACED right shoe over left foot
Left shoe over right foot
Left sock over left shoe which is already over right foot
Lace up right shoe which is already over left foot

Can't believe they didn't teach that to you guys back in school when you graduated 75 years ago

• Haha

Can't believe they didn't teach that to you guys back in school when you graduated 75 years ago

Instructions unclear, am now headed to ER because shoe is lodged in rectum.

• Haha

It's been a long time since I've laughed openly about something on here, but this is the post that did it.

I read this morning. I am so glad! I am now set for winter. I will wear winter shoes, thick socks and if my feet happen to get dry I will use lotion.

Last edited:
For whoever is wondering how Barry Block and his underlings find those "Podiatrist discusses shoe wear" articles, they literally scour the entirety of the internet. I once popped up a year ago for a fluff piece that a local hospital asked me to write for their IN-HOUSE newsletter. I wrote Barry an angry email stating I do not want to be associated with nor published in PM, and it was gone next day. Public domain I guess...

• Hmm
IMG_1941.JPG

It is kinda interesting to me that many people are ignoring the red flags even when the many people like this who have passed ABFAS, some own a practice, some work hospital or even residency PD jobs, aren't struggling on income, are paying fine or done with student loans awhile ago, etc are the main ones posting these long term concerns about the current debt burdens, the fast expand without training to back it up, and the job outlooks. These are the people who could simply avoid the fray and drive home in their Vette to their 6br/4ba house... but they feel compelled to urge caution nonetheless. Hmm, probably worth listening to?

I would seriously think it'd be the DPMs with limited training, struggled with boards, limited job options, and typically more limited income who would be doing the main griping. That would be both the past DPMs who didn't have 3yr training or good training as available... and also the present ones whose 3yrs was a bit of a joke. Those average or below training/board DPMs are the group that will mainly expand and find jobs tougher to come by and their work/skills devalued with the new schools... it's NOT as if dozens and dozens of new high quality residencies with thousands of cases and nearly 100% ABFAS board pass are going to pop up suddenly and we will be oversaturated with those type of DPMs who have passed all boards and can do full scope. Besides just the saturation and the hurt on their own job searches, I'm mystified that more of those folks aren't mad about future students/grads having even more debt and probably less quality of PG training. That seems to be how it is for pharmacy: the retail PharmDs are main ones lamenting their job/wage and the numerous pharma schools while the hospital PharmDs quietly try to just protect their jobs and cash their checks.

I am far from doom-n-gloom, got "lucky" with boards and training, like my job - present and past - and think there will always be a place for DPMs - esp well trained ones (heck, I kinda wish I didn't have such a place on the refer PCP and ER lists sometimes). Saturation potentially effects all professions, though. I am just kinda mystified that people are often listening to the few podiatry people and orgs that have vested interest in more podiatry schools/students... and also laughing off or ignoring - even shaming - the warning signs from those who have had academic and career and financial success in podiatry and could eeeeasily just let future DPMs fend for themselves - yet are voicing legit concern. How does more new schools in the last 25 years than the prior 50+ years* make any sense (assuming you're not faculty or admin at... or in allied po$ition with one or more of the schools)? We need a CAQ for student loan analytics, forecasting profession economics, and objective look at job demands?

*my mistake... more new schools in the last 25yrs (4) than in prior 100 years (3)... not prior 50yrs

Last edited:
For whoever is wondering how Barry Block and his underlings find those "Podiatrist discusses shoe wear" articles, they literally scour the entirety of the internet. I once popped up a year ago for a fluff piece that a local hospital asked me to write for their IN-HOUSE newsletter. I wrote Barry an angry email stating I do not want to be associated with nor published in PM, and it was gone next day. Public domain I guess...
My name and interview was included in a fluff article for a local retired persons newsletter. I kept thinking to myself, "Please don't end up on PM News, please don't end up on PM News..."

• Haha
My name and interview was included in a fluff article for a local retired persons newsletter. I kept thinking to myself, "Please don't end up on PM News, please don't end up on PM News..."
Hmmm. Now I’m going to perform an extensive search for that article and shoot it right over to BM News.

I can’t wait to read your advice about flip flops, not going barefoot in the snow and cutting your nails straight across.
You're familiar with my work!

I like to complain that I cannot afford $800 every three years to keep my DEA active.

PM news is cool for seeing which podiatrists get arrested.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I was going to say there should be a COPS style show where old mustache pods get their warrants served, but it would probably end up being more like Reno 911 except not fictional.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
[Please don’t end up in PM News. Please don’t end up in PM News…]

• Haha
Did one of you mofos subscribe me to Podiatry Today emails??? :eyebrow:

Seriously, I never got them before... now this month, I get it almost daily (just unsubscribed, again). Gotta love throwaway journals... I swear they make us dumber. :(

COVER FEATURE:
"Blah Blah How the non-ABFAS qual/cert 'expert' authors chose to fix this oblique metatarsal fracture... complications of the ORIF due to pt non-compliance... success upon revision ORIF bla." (I didn't look them up, but smart money says this is a NY/NJ case?)
[shows a pic of basic 5th met diaphysis fx that doesn't even need surgery in an unhealthy inactive 58F to begin with and should've just been a CAM boot]

pod today crap.jpg

• Haha
Did one of you mofos subscribe me to Podiatry Today emails??? :eyebrow:

Seriously, I never got them before... now this month, I get it almost daily (just unsubscribed, again). Gotta love throwaway journals... I swear they make us dumber. :(

COVER FEATURE:
"Blah Blah How the non-ABFAS qual/cert 'expert' authors chose to fix this oblique metatarsal fracture... complications of the ORIF due to pt non-compliance... success upon revision ORIF bla." (I didn't look them up, but smart money says this is a NY/NJ case?)
[shows a pic of basic 5th met diaphysis fx that doesn't even need surgery in an unhealthy inactive 58F to begin with and should've just been a CAM boot]

View attachment 363353
Met new pod in town. Don't know each other well. They ask me "how long after injury do you operate on your 5th metatarsal fractures". (Kind of boring question). Jokingly, find myself starring at them. Do I tell you I think most 5th metatarsal fractures don't need surgery? Do I ask you what fractures you are operating on or how much 5th trauma you are getting? Do I tell them I saw like 100+ avulsion fractures heal non-operatively but still went to a conference where some guy from Houston was putting a screw across all of them?

Met new pod in town. Don't know each other well. They ask me "how long after injury do you operate on your 5th metatarsal fractures". (Kind of boring question). Jokingly, find myself starring at them. Do I tell you I think most 5th metatarsal fractures don't need surgery? Do I ask you what fractures you are operating on or how much 5th trauma you are getting? Do I tell them I saw like 100+ avulsion fractures heal non-operatively but still went to a conference where some guy from Houston was putting a screw across all of them?
100% ...

The 5th met base avulsion and intra-articular avulsions heal every time in a CAM boot. I swear the only reason ppl ORIF them is bad training or bored or trying to get numbers for boards (which will actually backfire on them since the ABFAS reviewer will say you didn't need to operate in the first place). I see people do tension band, hook plating, big screw that fractures small avulsion fragment, and all kinds of dumb stuff on them... usually in pts who aren't even active or needing the ORIF to begin with. Many turn out to be OIF as well.

The true Jones and the highly young/active ppl and highly displaced or open fx are really the only 5th met fx that need ORIF every time. The majority of others will heal fine and actually faster with CAM +/- NWB and are usually questionable at best to ORIF. It blows my mind what some docs do.... much less publish to brag about as above. Plating, non-union, then revision double plating + orthobiologics a fx that didn't even need surgery... what wiiiiiillllll they think of next? :)

Good ole OIF

• Sad
100% ...

The 5th met base avulsion and intra-articular avulsions heal every time in a CAM boot. I swear the only reason ppl ORIF them is bad training or bored or trying to get numbers for boards (which will actually backfire on them since the ABFAS reviewer will say you didn't need to operate in the first place). I see people do tension band, hook plating, big screw that fractures small avulsion fragment, and all kinds of dumb stuff on them... usually in pts who aren't even active or needing the ORIF to begin with. Many turn out to be OIF as well.

The true Jones and the highly young/active ppl and highly displaced or open fx are really the only 5th met fx that need ORIF every time. The majority of others will heal fine and actually faster with CAM +/- NWB and are usually questionable at best to ORIF. It blows my mind what some docs do.... much less publish to brag about as above. Plating, non-union, then revision double plating + orthobiologics a fx that didn't even need surgery... what wiiiiiillllll they think of next? :)

This study drove me crazy when it was initially published.

100% ...

What wiiiiiillllll they think of next? :)
Author missed the gravy train... Bone stimulator, e stim for pain control, dme offloading knee scooter or iwalk, ice therapy machine post op, bma or other grafting solutions

Author missed the gravy train... Bone stimulator, e stim for pain control, dme offloading knee scooter or iwalk, ice therapy machine post op, bma or other grafting solutions
Don’t forget your magic potion from the compounding pharmacy

It's nice to see that for all the uncertainty surrounding the present eggplant-measuring contest going on between ABPM and ABFAS that we can rely on PM News to cover more stories no one cares about

It's nice to see that for all the uncertainty surrounding the present eggplant-measuring contest going on between ABPM and ABFAS that we can rely on PM News to cover more stories no one cares about
Can't live without the outrageous shoe of the day photo!

Also glad they make reports on how the APMA helps us on a daily basis. They are focusing on important things like approving the first heel-less athletic shoe to help diabetics eliminate "heel strikes, a man-made phenomenon that is the main cause of joint and tendon injuries from running, walking or standing for long periods of time on your feet."

Also glad they make reports on how the APMA helps us on a daily basis. They are focusing on important things like approving the first heel-less athletic shoe to help diabetics eliminate "heel strikes, a man-made phenomenon that is the main cause of joint and tendon injuries from running, walking or standing for long periods of time on your feet."
Seems like that shoe would be backwards-tippy when you try to stand in place.

• Haha
Seems like that shoe would be backwards-tippy when you try to stand in place.
Duh…..then you MUST sell them, I mean prescribe a Mooron (did I spell that correctly) balance brace!!

Duh…..then you MUST sell them, I mean prescribe a Mooron (did I spell that correctly) balance brace!!
Practice management FTW!

Someone should submit those shoes to PMNews for the outrageous shoe of the day. 😆

Bahahaha, this one made me spit up my drink. Well done.

The freaking show of the day photos...smh