PNWU vs ATSU SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3Mheadphonesdude

Reaction score
PNWU
ProsCons
I like the campus/location/weather for the first 2 yearsWon't have great rotation site pick
Have a great place lined up if I decide to goStudents say curriculum is frustrating and is detrimental to success in boards/competitive residency
Students are cool
More stability for years 1-2 for LTR to make plans to move

ATSU SOMA
ProsCons
Curriculum is more conducive to self-learning styles (Anki, UFAP BB)Will most likely get sent to rotation site I don't want to be for year 2-3 (far from LTR/family)
5 hour drive from LTR during year 1Hot as hell year 1
There is a faculty member there with similar niche interests/experience that I want to learn from

Members don't see this ad.

Fair pros and cons. At either of these institutions, I think it comes down to how hard you're personally willing to work, as I think they offer similar levels of support. I am not personally a huge fan of ATSU's 3 year clinical education model at remote sites, but I have heard that it provides more space/time to strategize for boards, which you seem to be aware of. PNWU has not had great match results recently, has the highest average student indebtedness out of any medical school in the country, and appears to be more interested in expansion (increasing class size to 140 ASAP, and their outcomes suffered) than producing the highest-quality possible physicians. Though, I have heard plenty of positive things from students at that school in terms of being supported (I suspect the faculty that teaches students at that school tend to be nice, caring people, but there's probably some greed in the administration).

I ultimately chose another program, but did have the opportunity to choose between these two, and I think I would have preferred ATSU-SOMA mainly for factors similar to your pros and cons, and the reasons I listed.

Regardless, best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user