Pocket PC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i'm about to start my 4th year rotations.. and I want to buy a PDA... I've been told that a "pocket PC" is the way to go nowadays..since they are the most user friendly...as opposed to a palm which is pretty good but not quite as easy to navigate.. anyone got any suggestions on which one to get? (meaning what type of pocket pc specifically) know of any good deals?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MdBrndPhrmcst said:
Hi guys i'm about to start my 4th year rotations.. and I want to buy a PDA... I've been told that a "pocket PC" is the way to go nowadays..since they are the most user friendly...as opposed to a palm which is pretty good but not quite as easy to navigate.. anyone got any suggestions on which one to get? (meaning what type of pocket pc specifically) know of any good deals?

thanks!

Dell Axim. I absolutely love mine and they have some great deals on them right now. Here is the site for you. Take care.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/handhelds?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

MdBrndPhrmcst said:

thanks!

check out this site every couple days you you will surely find a good deal on a dell axim. it is gotapex.com they list new deals everyday and dell is one of the main ones they list.....keep checking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
MdBrndPhrmcst said:

thanks!

I also use a Dell Axim x51v. If you are used to using Windows and like the navigation then you will like using a pocket pc as opposed to palm.

KARM12 said:
I also use a Dell Axim x51v. If you are used to using Windows and like the navigation then you will like using a pocket pc as opposed to palm.

Minor correction to the above statement: Both Palm and Windows uses a graphic interface.

That being said, windows mobile isn't as intuitive as coming from a home computer using xp. And with the release of mobile 5, there's a LOT of software incompatibilities. You may want to look into an older model that uses windows mobile 2003.

And when it all comes down to it, look at your software and see which OS it is most compatible with.

Then look at what else you wanna do with the Pocket PC. Axim's are nice, but they're thick and heavy relative to the slimmer and very respected hp 4100/4300 series. If you plan on watching movies and playing games, then maybe a high powered pc is worth the money.

Me, I just use it as an organizer, browse the web, use GPS and use lexicomp software. And a "lower" powered 400mhz palm using windows 2003 is fine.

*shrug* To each their own

So this dell axim..

I'll be able to use lexicomp and epocrates with it?

I was looking at the site you sent me... I'm probably just missing it.. but i can't really see how much memory each model has. Is it a couple of gigs? If memory is abundant it'd be great if I could download my all of my 3rd year therapeutics powerpoint slides onto the pocket PC.... is this realistic? its about 400mb of information..

Guys, I'm starting my P1 year this fall and I'm wondering if y'all recommend a palm pilot during the span of the entire 4 years in pharm school. Does it makes things THAT much easier in terms of time-management? I hardly forget due dates or exam dates, but then again, that was in undergrad. Am I gonna have to keep up with that much things? Thanx!

no you don't need one during school IMO... wait till your 4th year to invest in one...unless your loaded with cash if so then by all means... go for it..

MdBrndPhrmcst said:
So this dell axim..

I'll be able to use lexicomp and epocrates with it?

I was looking at the site you sent me... I'm probably just missing it.. but i can't really see how much memory each model has. Is it a couple of gigs? If memory is abundant it'd be great if I could download my all of my 3rd year therapeutics powerpoint slides onto the pocket PC.... is this realistic? its about 400mb of information..

Yes, you will be able to use lexi or epocrates with it. I have both on mine, along with pocket consult(mdconsult) mobilemedex(micromedex) and a ton of other programs.

The x51v has the following: 336MB of Memory (256MB Flash, 64MB SDRAM)
I havn't seen a PDA anywhere with a lot of memory. I bought 2 gig flash card to add to it and now I have all the memory I want. You will probably want to buy additional memory via a card no matter what type of PDA you buy.

Phantom_Eclipse said:
Guys, I'm starting my P1 year this fall and I'm wondering if y'all recommend a palm pilot during the span of the entire 4 years in pharm school. Does it makes things THAT much easier in terms of time-management? I hardly forget due dates or exam dates, but then again, that was in undergrad. Am I gonna have to keep up with that much things? Thanx!

You probably don't ever NEED one. I could definately get by without it, but I love gadgets and it is the only way I can get away with reading the newspaper and playing video games in class without getting strange looks from the professors.

anyone have any luck or complaints with using lexicomp on a PDA/cellphone?

im looking at this option and wondering if anybody else has tried this setup..

walkamile said:
anyone have any luck or complaints with using lexicomp on a PDA/cellphone?

im looking at this option and wondering if anybody else has tried this setup..

I use Lexi-Comp on my Pocket PC...it is a very comprehensive program. It does have some databases that you probably won't use, but are still neat to look at when you are bored. It is fairly pricey so you may want to see if you can get a deal either through the school or through APhA. I was able to get it for 13 months for $80 off the orginial price through my school. They do have Lexi-Select which has most of the databases (minus the dictionary, abbreviations, and pharmacotherapy programs...and I think one or two others) at a cheaper price. It does include the drug information database.

I start rotations June 5th, so we'll see how useful this PDA thing is then.

Yeah, i have lexicomp and start rotations next month too. So far I love the program and think it's worth the $200+ to make my 4rth year easier.

I have a palm that is 3 years old and quickly heading south. I was kicking around the idea of trying lexicomp on a pda/cellphone combo. Like a Blackberry? im no too up to date on these. Has anybody tried this?

any of these programs work with symbian os?

so I went to dell and looked at the Pocket PC's.... A dell axim 51 with some of the essential add on like (extra memory card and battery) will end up costing me 399.. and thats without shipping and tax!!! Maaann this sucks.. :scared:

I havn't been able to find any great deals so far..

well I bit the bullet and bought the axim.. I got the X51 520 mhz plus I got the leather carrying case, a 1 gig flash drive and an extra battery.. its gonna cost me like 450..ughhh. :( However I'm pretty sure it will more than suit my needs for the next 3 years... :D

As far as the wireless capabilities.. how does that work? you just kinda walk around looking for a hotspot? :confused:

Any of you guys put powerpoint slides on it? I'm thinking during my loooong Ass commutes to the NIH and CHOP I can flip through some slides on the metro.. :idea:

badxmojo said:
As far as the wireless capabilities.. how does that work? you just kinda walk around looking for a hotspot? :confused:

Any of you guys put powerpoint slides on it? I'm thinking during my loooong Ass commutes to the NIH and CHOP I can flip through some slides on the metro.. :idea:

You hit the wifi button, and hope you are in range of an open hotspot. Its simple when it works.

There is a great program called, I believe, Pocket Slides. It will convert Powerpoint to its own format. You can view, edit, and even use your PDA as a wireless cue card and control the pace of the presentation from it. Its a really great PDA program. Check it out.