Podiatric Surgeons

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by LobsterGuy, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:06 PM.

1. LobsterGuy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

Are there any podiatrists who only do surgery and/or work full-time for a hospital as a surgeon?

Thank you in advance!

2. GreenHousePub

Non-Student
    No. Every podiatrist who does surgery also does clinic. Every general surgeon also has a clinic. Every ophthalmologist has a clinic. You have to see patients either in-house or in clinic to get to operate on them, and then you are responsible for their post op outcome.

de Ribas likes this.
  3. LobsterGuy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I apologize for not being clear, I meant are there any podiatrists that have practices limited to surgery only, so no routine procedures such as fitting orthotics or corn removal? Is there such thing as an attending podiatrist in a hospital that solely takes foot and ankle consults and then treats/operates accordingly then follows up in clinic?

4. GreenHousePub

Non-Student
    I see what you're getting at, I think. Maybe others can speak better to that, but I'm hospital based and do surgery 1 day a week. I'm allowed to choose what I can see, but I still see people for orthotics and routine diabetic foot care. As long as I'm bringing in money to them I don't think they mind.

If you are looking to be only a foot and ankle surgeon, most hospitals would rather opt for a foot and ankle ortho, they can do other procedures and have a wider scope which brings in big money. Where I'm at I do see ankle fractures, some other trauma but it's split up amongst our department.

You'd be surprised what you can get out of seeing people for "routine" stuff such as orthotics. My last two flatfoot reconstructions were people that just came in wanting new orthotics and after a discussion they opted for that. Got a Jones teno-suspension out of a routine diabetic callus trimming. Ray amputation after patient showed up with a large wound originally scheduled for diabetic nail debridement. Ankle fusion after guy was here for orthotics.

Even your big time general, chest, plastics and other surgeons still see routine stuff in their clinics. If you can identify deeper pathology and then communicate with the patient's you'll get surgeries.

5. AttackNME

AttackNME Podiatrist
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Put it this way, it'll be easy for malpractice lawyers to eat you up if they know that you're doing flatfoot recons or hammertoe surgeries without first doing custom orthotics or shaving a callus. Gotta do conservative first before elective surgery.

Weirdy likes this.