Podiatry Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shenanigans327

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I realize this is the age-old question that has probably been asked ad nauseaum on these boards...I graduated from a BSN program in 2007 and had planned on returning for med school. Within the past year, I have found a genuine interest in podiatry for its surgical, office, and preventative care aspects. I feel that Podiatry can be compared with nursing in many ways, as you can make a niche for yourself in many different ways. Anyway, Here comes the usual question:

With my retake classes added in, my sGPA will be a 3.15-3.2, with my overall GPA falling around a 3.2. I have yet to take the MCAT (May 21st - D Day) and have a long list of EC's including -

8 years as a vol. FF/EMT
1 year in Infectious Disease as an RN
2 years prior as an OR Nurse, rotating among most of the surgical specialties
HIV Counselor (does HIV testing)
CPR Instructor
Vol. with a Children's Developmental Clinic, Habitat for Humanity as well as various other activities.

My Post-Bac work includes 30 credits of which my GPA has been around a 3.5

Do I have a chance at some of the Pod Schools? Specifically, TUSPM, Barry, NYCPM in particular. I'd like to remain on the East Coast, as that is where most of my family resides.

Thanks for any input you guys may have :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would say go for it! If you are wanting to apply for this cycle, I would say hurry up and submit your application because times a tickin'. Try and schedule some interviews ASAP. GL!

Hey everyone,

I realize this is the age-old question that has probably been asked ad nauseaum on these boards...I graduated from a BSN program in 2007 and had planned on returning for med school. Within the past year, I have found a genuine interest in podiatry for its surgical, office, and preventative care aspects. I feel that Podiatry can be compared with nursing in many ways, as you can make a niche for yourself in many different ways. Anyway, Here comes the usual question:

With my retake classes added in, my sGPA will be a 3.15-3.2, with my overall GPA falling around a 3.2. I have yet to take the MCAT (May 21st - D Day) and have a long list of EC's including -

8 years as a vol. FF/EMT
1 year in Infectious Disease as an RN
2 years prior as an OR Nurse, rotating among most of the surgical specialties
HIV Counselor (does HIV testing)
CPR Instructor
Vol. with a Children's Developmental Clinic, Habitat for Humanity as well as various other activities.

My Post-Bac work includes 30 credits of which my GPA has been around a 3.5

Do I have a chance at some of the Pod Schools? Specifically, TUSPM, Barry, NYCPM in particular. I'd like to remain on the East Coast, as that is where most of my family resides.

Thanks for any input you guys may have :)

I'm coming from almost the same background as you !
I think you'll have a good shot.
Just focus on the MCAT.
g-luck w/ everything !

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is solid, no problems there :thumbup:. My only recommendation would be to take the MCAT seriously, put in some quality time and energy into the MCAT and your all set.

You definitely have a shot. Probably a good one at that. You may even be able to start in September if you apply before you take the MCAT.

thanks everyone for responding so quickly...

I have been studying for the past 2 months for the MCAT. I've been using the EK Complete Study Set...

As I'm getting married in October, I wanted to apply for next years entering class...to get acclimated to married life prior to starting the next chapter

And guess what? I've already learned the 3 most important things that will ever come out of my mouth again::D

1. Of course you're right dear...whatever you say
2. Of course those jeans make you look skinny
3. I'd much rather watch Desperate Housewives than Terps bball

:cool: as long as I have those down, should be smooth sailing

thanks everyone for responding so quickly...
I have been studying for the past 2 months for the MCAT. I've been using the EK Complete Study Set...
As I'm getting married in October, I wanted to apply for next years entering class...to get acclimated to married life prior to starting the next chapter

In that case, you should be set! Just hit those MCAT books hard. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

if that is the only thing holding you back from starting school, enter now. What is there to get used to with "married life?" I got married 3 weeks into school. You have probably lived with your partner for some time, what else is there? Start ASAP.

Even if you get a crap MCAT grade, you might be able to get in, but if I were you, I would spend some time and get a really good grade for 2 reasons:

1) really guarantee your spot in wherever you want
2) 1st year entry scholarship (more $ depending on gpa and mcat)

difference between 25 vs 32 in mcat i'm guessing is like a difference between 6k and 13k scholarship, so its like ur being paid 7k for 2 months to study.