Podiatry exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dyk343

I searched but didn't find much info on what I wanted. How are the tests in the first 1-2 years?

1. Are they multiple choice or short answer/essay?

2. How many lectures/exam on average?

3. I've heard some schools all give exams on mondays... multiple exams every monday?

4. How much time do you get to take exams?

5. Exams aren't curved correct?

Thanks! -Dyk343

Members don't see this ad.

I searched but didn't find much info on what I wanted. How are the tests in the first 1-2 years?

3. I've heard some schools all give exams on mondays... multiple exams every monday?

Thanks! -Dyk343

At DMU all exams are multiple choice. Doesnt necessarily mean they are much easier, but ya know. For biochem there were 5 tests and a cumulative final. Anatomy is a 3-4 hour test. (1 1/2 hours practical, about 2 hours written...if you need that much time for the written). Cell Bio was 4 tests. Immuno/micro/viro is 8 tests. We dont have a strict day for testing, however it seems as if we have more on fridays. Most tests generally you have 2 hours, im never there that long. No tests are curved.

Thanks! -Dyk343
It depends on the school but this is how it breaks down for the 1st-year AZPod students:

1. Gross Anatomy Practical has been short answer/fill in the blank (we just had this test today and it kicked my butt). All the other tests have been multiple choice except for a fill in the chart question in Biochem.

2. This depends on the class. For Gross Anatomy, I think it was 10 lectures, for histology on this Friday it will be something like 14, and for Physiology it is something like 15. So usually between 10-15 I guess.

3. Last Quarter we had all our exams on Mondays. We had Gross Anatomy in the mornings and Histology/Embryology in the afternoons some weeks and some weeks Biochem in the mornings with lectures in the afternoon. The only exception was Pod Med which was on some other day like a Thursday for the Mid-term. This quarter we have tests each Monday (like today) plus tests on other days. We have tests this Friday and next Monday (the 22nd!! 3 days before Christmas!!).

4. We usually get around 1 1/2 minutes per question for the exam, so it ranges from about 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. I think most students don't use the full amount of time, but it is set aside for the test.

5. Exams are not curved, but we sometimes get a point or two added back if they feel a question was unfair or wrong.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
At DMU all exams are multiple choice. Doesnt necessarily mean they are much easier, but ya know. For biochem there were 5 tests and a cumulative final. Anatomy is a 3-4 hour test. (1 1/2 hours practical, about 2 hours written...if you need that much time for the written). Cell Bio was 4 tests. Immuno/micro/viro is 8 tests. We dont have a strict day for testing, however it seems as if we have more on fridays. Most tests generally you have 2 hours, im never there that long. No tests are curved.

Wow, nice schedule.

Is your anatomy final cumulative?

It's really no different than undergrad in that profs are usually given some liberties on curving, extra credit, exam/quiz structure and schedules, attendance policy/grading, test constructs (MC, essay, fill in, lab, presentations, etc). MC is usually the standard since it's easy to grade quickly, and grading it is much less subjective than analyzing essays or short answers.

I'd stay the standard is typically 2-5 multiple choice exams per course. Most of the heavier credit classes will have more exams while lesser credit load courses will have fewer (ie a 5cr class that meets 3x weekly might give 4 or 5 exams while a 1cr or 2cr evening class that meets once a week might just have a midterm and a final).

Thanks everyone. I was kinda hoping that multiple choice was not the norm but I figured it was. I always do better on short answer. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Thanks! -Dyk343

At OCPM we take all our exams in the same week. And we don't have classes during that week. It's usually Mon, Wed, and Fri for the tests.

At OCPM we take all our exams in the same week. And we don't have classes during that week. It's usually Mon, Wed, and Fri for the tests.

the above is true, ......form multiple choice except for certain lab practicals such as gross and lower anatomy, and rotation tests for clinic etc. number per class varies from six to ten lectures per exam, some classes are curved but in most of the upper level classes, the professors do not curve
- exams in third year are give tues, thur, sat due to clinic MWF, AVE TIME is two hours per exam, ave length is 60-90 question per exam,
- some classes do use pop and scheduled quizzes/case studies that are short answer and essay

Podiatry school exams are not extremely strenuos. There are old exams floating around at every school for most classes (not all) especially in the basic sciences so you'll be able to pass. I know this happens at every school because I have friends at them and we have discussed how rediculous this is. They always use enough repeat or slightly changed questions so you will pass. My college roommates are going to regular allopathic medical school at schools in the top 30 according to u.s. news and world report and the samething happens there. If you're attending a podiatric medical school associated with a medical school MD or DO and take the basic science classes with them you're probably better off because you're not getting a dumbed down or watered down version of the basic science curriculum. It will be slightly more challenging but those students at schools associated with medical schools have the least trouble with passing the boards. I do not attend one associated with a medical school but when professors from medical schools come to lecture to us they're straight up with us and tell us that we're not getting the same version of this lecture they teach to medical students it's much harder (the medical school version). The majority of us in podiatry school (i know not everyone) found podiatry because we tried and were denied another health profession route or knew we didn't have much of chance at another health professional school. A lot of us could've probably went to DO school but aren't interested in being a primary care physician which 60% of DO's are. To get back to the topic podiatry exams are not that hard because you normal have 70% of the questions because they've been repeated for years and the classes that don't have past exams those are the classes people in your class will fail. You still need to study for these exams don't get me wrong the other 30% of the test is not a walk in the park. It would be nice if the questions were more clinically oriented and not so many repeated but that's not going to happen until podiatry gets out of this slump accepting weaker students with ~2.7 gpas and low 20's on the MCAT or all of them are associated with a medical school. As far as curving exams go it's not really necessary because of the old tests floating around almost everyone passes. I'm just being honest and telling you the way it is in podiatry school. I'm sure someone in this forum will take issue with this but they can't deny that what I tell you is the truth about most exams.

Podiatry school exams are not extremely strenuos. There are old exams floating around at every school for most classes (not all) especially in the basic sciences so you'll be able to pass. I know this happens at every school because I have friends at them and we have discussed how rediculous this is. They always use enough repeat or slightly changed questions so you will pass. My college roommates are going to regular allopathic medical school at schools in the top 30 according to u.s. news and world report and the samething happens there. If you're attending a podiatric medical school associated with a medical school MD or DO and take the basic science classes with them you're probably better off because you're not getting a dumbed down or watered down version of the basic science curriculum. It will be slightly more challenging but those students at schools associated with medical schools have the least trouble with passing the boards. I do not attend one associated with a medical school but when professors from medical schools come to lecture to us they're straight up with us and tell us that we're not getting the same version of this lecture they teach to medical students it's much harder (the medical school version). The majority of us in podiatry school (i know not everyone) found podiatry because we tried and were denied another health profession route or knew we didn't have much of chance at another health professional school. A lot of us could've probably went to DO school but aren't interested in being a primary care physician which 60% of DO's are. To get back to the topic podiatry exams are not that hard because you normal have 70% of the questions because they've been repeated for years and the classes that don't have past exams those are the classes people in your class will fail. You still need to study for these exams don't get me wrong the other 30% of the test is not a walk in the park. It would be nice if the questions were more clinically oriented and not so many repeated but that's not going to happen until podiatry gets out of this slump accepting weaker students with ~2.7 gpas and low 20's on the MCAT or all of them are associated with a medical school. As far as curving exams go it's not really necessary because of the old tests floating around almost everyone passes. I'm just being honest and telling you the way it is in podiatry school. I'm sure someone in this forum will take issue with this but they can't deny that what I tell you is the truth about most exams.

The OP asked 5 questions and you managed to answer one, if that, with your post. The majority of what you have stated has been posted on these forums again and again. These posts/threads never end up anywhere good or productive. I am not denying or accepting what you have said, just saying its off topic and doesnt really answer most of the OP's questions.

completely not true - at least at azpod. if they are floating around i personally have not seen them. did someone tell you they are available at azpod?

What school do you attend?, because I hope we are not in the same school

...The majority of us in podiatry school (i know not everyone) found podiatry because we tried and were denied another health profession route or knew we didn't have much of chance at another health professional school...

I hate when people say this. +pissed+

If someone really wanted to head down the allopathic route they could so if they wanted to. That's what Caribbean medical schools are for!!!!! For the love of God! ANYONE can get into medical school. All you need to be accepted into some of the schools is a beating heart and a check for tuition.

Please, if that's why you entered podiatry school, leave at once because you will be miserable and become that person that just bashes podiatry for the rest of their existence.

:boom:

Members don't see this ad :)

I attend OCPM, you don't want me at your school? I hope i am at your school and in your class where do you go?

completely not true - at least at azpod. if they are floating around i personally have not seen them. did someone tell you they are available at azpod?

Since azpod is pretty new I only know of 1 person that currently goes to azpod and i can't stand him so I never have asked him. AZPOD is associated with midwestern D.O. right? I know a recent D.O. grad from there that says they had them so unless things have changed in the last 2 years. you should become better friends with the D.O. students when you're taking the same basic science course.

If someone really wanted to head down the allopathic route they could so if they wanted to. That's what Caribbean medical schools are for!!!!! For the love of God! ANYONE can get into medical school. All you need to be accepted into some of the schools is a beating heart and a check for tuition.

Please, if that's why you entered podiatry school, leave at once because you will be miserable and become that person that just bashes podiatry for the rest of their existence.

Agreed anyone can go to a caribbean med school but it has a similar stigma that podiatry I think is trying to drift away from. I did enter podiatry because I didn't want to be a D.O. I had a 3.1 gpa and a 31 mcat. I don't hate it nor am i bashing it. The basic science education just isn't on the same level as if you were at a medical school. In the long run it's not that big of a deal we'll learn the actual important stuff in clinic, residency, and beyond. i'm just being honest with myself and giving this OP an answer that he or she should hear and consider before they take the plunge into podiatry school and go a couple hundred grand in debt. I can live with being a podiatric physician even though I didn't want to be one. Even if I was in my medical profession of choice at the end of the day any branch of healthcare is a business first and I'm just operating in a different area of the same business. If you don't realize medicine is a business you should ask any pod you have shadowed or will shadow they will tell you just do what's right for the patient don't worry about the money but in these times you better put a little more worry on the money and marketing to bring in more patients and running your business or your loans for school, house, and car aren't getting paid point blank.

I attend OCPM, you don't want me at your school? I hope i am at your school and in your class where do you go?

Since azpod is pretty new I only know of 1 person that currently goes to azpod and i can't stand him so I never have asked him. AZPOD is associated with midwestern D.O. right? I know a recent D.O. grad from there that says they had them so unless things have changed in the last 2 years. you should become better friends with the D.O. students when you're taking the same basic science course.

Agreed anyone can go to a caribbean med school but it has a similar stigma that podiatry I think is trying to drift away from. I did enter podiatry because I didn't want to be a D.O. I had a 3.1 gpa and a 31 mcat. I don't hate it nor am i bashing it. The basic science education just isn't on the same level as if you were at a medical school. In the long run it's not that big of a deal we'll learn the actual important stuff in clinic, residency, and beyond. i'm just being honest with myself and giving this OP an answer that he or she should hear and consider before they take the plunge into podiatry school and go a couple hundred grand in debt. I can live with being a podiatric physician even though I didn't want to be one. Even if I was in my medical profession of choice at the end of the day any branch of healthcare is a business first and I'm just operating in a different area of the same business. If you don't realize medicine is a business you should ask any pod you have shadowed or will shadow they will tell you just do what's right for the patient don't worry about the money but in these times you better put a little more worry on the money and marketing to bring in more patients and running your business or your loans for school, house, and car aren't getting paid point blank.

ok whiskers

lol, our good friend whiskers is still around?

whiskers? please explain
It's just another poster here who went to OCPM. I think he's a resident now... still posts here, but pretty infrequent.

His posts were pretty funny IMO... kinda pessimistic, but also true a fair amount of the time. If you do an advanced search for whiskers user name and look for keywords like "tests," "questions," "cheating," etc, you will probably find some laughs.

thanks feli you are right there are some laughs to be had...:laugh: i need to change it up and not sound like that dumba**

I am glad, you attend OCPM not TUSPM.
I believe at TUSPM, we don't receive a watered down education. We do have the "tests", but the teachers try to make new questions everytime.

Is Pod school easier than "real" Med school, I am not sure. Is it a easy as pie, definately not. Let no one fool you, it may be easy to get admitted, but you will work just as hard in Pod school if you want to get a decent residency.

I can live with being a podiatric physician even though I didn't want to be one. Even if I was in my medical profession of choice at the end of the day any branch of healthcare is a business first and I'm just operating in a different area of the same business.

Curious what was your medical profession of choice? i.e what is better than Podiatry:xf:

Hyperpodia :smuggrin:

I wanted to be an ENT doctor

Some of my best friends attend TUSPM your school is not different from the rest. You get a dumbed down curriculum. I have the most friends at your school and they tell me pharmacology professors and pathology professors constantly remind them they are not in real medical school. You want a specific example? my good friend in the class of 2010 had a new immuno/micro professor from cornell dr. coico? he said pod curriculum is usually dumbed down but he wasn't going to do that so he didn't and people bombed a good portion of his exam questions. Then a relative in the class of 2011 at TUSPM had the same guy and he didn't go into nearly as much detail and he used the same questions he used on the 2010 exam even though they didn't cover the detail some of the questions entailed everyone got them right because there were old exams floating around. If your school didn't have old test questions being repeated wpuld a survival cd with old exams be a fundraiser? sorry to have to put your school on blast but it's not different from the rest of the pod schools. your school is probably better than OCPM education wise but a far cry from med school associated pod schools I base this off the dumbed down curriculum and your first time board score pass rates ~70% last year ouch! ocpm 50% even worse but med school associated pod schools greater than 95% first time pass rate (granted a few students aren't allowed to take it until october to make their school look better). someone pleae give me their opinion on the board pass rate difference is it crappy admission standards? dumbed down curriculum? repeated exam questions year after year making students not learn the material as well?

What year are you footed? I'm a 1st year at OCPM, and I've had a few of the old tests. No where near is it 70% of old test questions. Unless I just didn't have the "good" old tests.

Oh well, I'd rather just study and learn the material than rely on old tests. That way I'm not screwed come boards.

Some of my best friends attend TUSPM your school is not different from the rest. You get a dumbed down curriculum. I have the most friends at your school and they tell me pharmacology professors and pathology professors constantly remind them they are not in real medical school. You want a specific example? my good friend in the class of 2010 had a new immuno/micro professor from cornell dr. coico? he said pod curriculum is usually dumbed down but he wasn't going to do that so he didn't and people bombed a good portion of his exam questions. Then a relative in the class of 2011 at TUSPM had the same guy and he didn't go into nearly as much detail and he used the same questions he used on the 2010 exam even though they didn't cover the detail some of the questions entailed everyone got them right because there were old exams floating around. If your school didn't have old test questions being repeated wpuld a survival cd with old exams be a fundraiser? sorry to have to put your school on blast but it's not different from the rest of the pod schools. your school is probably better than OCPM education wise but a far cry from med school associated pod schools I base this off the dumbed down curriculum and your first time board score pass rates ~70% last year ouch! ocpm 50% even worse but med school associated pod schools greater than 95% first time pass rate (granted a few students aren't allowed to take it until october to make their school look better). someone pleae give me their opinion on the board pass rate difference is it crappy admission standards? dumbed down curriculum? repeated exam questions year after year making students not learn the material as well?

Over here at Barry, some professors reuse a lot of old questions. I totally agree with you, footed.

ocpm board pass rates ... were you quoting them at 50% because that stat is wrong at least for the class of 2010, perhaps i misinterpreted your statement, otherwise yes the profs need to rewrite the exams every year ... people in the past have griped about this issue .... we'll see if it ever changes

ocpm board pass rates ... were you quoting them at 50% because that stat is wrong at least for the class of 2010, perhaps i misinterpreted your statement, otherwise yes the profs need to rewrite the exams every year ... people in the past have griped about this issue .... we'll see if it ever changes

Yea also for temple....70% first time pass rate?
I remember someone quoted 85%. lol

Thats for class 2010? ouch!

yes my friend in the class of 2010 asked someone in academic administration and they were told their school had a 70% pass rate first time. i remember interviewing at temple and them lying to me and saying they had a 98% pass rate. Maybe 98% after taking the exam two times costing an extra $900 dollars for that second attempt.

zmefly - I guess going through your first semester gives you enough insight to say some professors use the same questions, but that freshmen and sophmore packet has gotten the c/o 2011 nothing but bent over with absolutely no lube being applied to ease the pain. What profs? intro to pod med? shaw's biochem? Dont speak for everyone at Barry. Some classes get ripped and some classes get their hands held through the process. Never - ever - ever use old exams as a primary study tool. Like the rest of us, suffer through your notes while remembering what you need to to pass the exams and move on. All second year students must start studying for boards in 7 months. Suffer and move on.

zmefly - I guess going through your first semester gives you enough insight to say some professors use the same questions, but that freshmen and sophmore packet has gotten the c/o 2011 nothing but bent over with absolutely no lube being applied to ease the pain. What profs? intro to pod med? shaw's biochem? Dont speak for everyone at Barry. Some classes get ripped and some classes get their hands held through the process. Never - ever - ever use old exams as a primary study tool. Like the rest of us, suffer through your notes while remembering what you need to to pass the exams and move on. All second year students must start studying for boards in 7 months. Suffer and move on.

I heard 2nd semester is more challenging. I am looking forward to it. :thumbup:

I'm sure every school has old tests flying around. Some classes & profs more than others. Face it, some profs are lazy & reuse test yr to yr. Others are diligint (isn't this true for the gen. pop. at large in life, as well?) & therefore it depends on the given yr, & school & class. That said, yes old tests most likely are around, even at undergrad levels.

As far as AZPod goes, the test schedule first year is tests on Mondays while the second year tests are on Mondays AND Fridays or Wednesdays (Path/ Pharm/ Micro/ Gen Med/ plus Pod classes during second year). Rarely there will be two exams in one day or three tests in three consecutive days. The hard part is paying attention in class all day after taking a test on Monday morning.

There is a CD from ~2000 that the DOs have, but the tests questions are not the same, and 90% of the profs have changed from 2000. I knew DOs that studied the CD and wasted a lot of time. Students also can't keep exams as of a couple years ago; we turn in all exams paired with our multiple choice answer sheets. Maybe someone's photographic memory could make another students' day, but the question stems and answers are so complex that person would be have to be an intellectual Chuck Norris.

Just as a side note, I think you can get a great education at any of the Pod schools, but I agree that studying old exams might negate that. I did want to say nice work to this year's first year AZ Pods- I hear they are making the top scores of the combined DO/ Pod class- ah, you make us so proud, good job!

i agree 100% with footed...he's not lying/exaggerating one bit

I don't know if much of what you have stated is true, however, if you are truly worried about your education being watered down I suggest that you purchase the text books for each course and actually try studying them. The great thing is, the textbooks we use in each class are the EXACT same texts that our fellow DO/MD students use. I have never seen any watered down versions of Biochem texts or Physio texts for podiatry students. Good luck!

I think that it is inevitable that some questions are being repeated or are worded very similarly. We are taught the same things year after year. Some professors stress certain topics because they are more interested, or they think it's more relevant to the boards, etc. So the CD works great for a lot of us. But it isn't the end all study guide. I know people who just studied past exams and didn't get grades that they were hoping for.

I think that it is inevitable that some questions are being repeated or are worded very similarly. We are taught the same things year after year. Some professors stress certain topics because they are more interested, or they think it's more relevant to the boards, etc. So the CD works great for a lot of us. But it isn't the end all study guide. I know people who just studied past exams and didn't get grades that they were hoping for.
who studies only past exams:laugh:

I can say from experience, if your school has old exams, use them