Podiatry in sports medicine: team physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w0344990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a career choice, and I think I've whittled things down to either an ATC/DPT or DPM, and I have a few questions on the podiatric medicine profession.

After reading this article, http://www.studentdoctor.net/2008/02/professional-profile-john-codwell-iii-dpm/#more-125, I wanted to know how a podiatrist can actually be the team physician. This is almost identical to the job I would want, I just wasn't sure how a podiatrist could be a team physician when he/she specializes in the lower extremities. Is it fairly common? I should add that I know I can't be solely a team physician, but I would like to work in a sports medicine clinic/environment.

Also, to practice in Louisiana, I don't think a residency is needed, but would it still be a good idea to complete the PM/S 36 anyways? One final question, would there be any benefit to getting AT certification in graduate school before beginning podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do have to complete a residency to practice in all of states. As for you other questions, I'm not sure of the answers and hopefully someone else can fill you in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I must've been looking at the wrong thing when I checked this link. (Louisiana) http://www.fpmb.org/memberboards.asp I need to get some :sleep: lol.
that site says you don't need postgrad training in Ohio and tons of other states, but the fact is you need a residency to get hired and to work in any and every state. (2yr minimum as of now). i would love to see someone performing surgeries (minor/or major) without training. :eek:

that site says you don't need postgrad training in Ohio and tons of other states, but the fact is you need a residency to get hired and to work in any and every state. (2yr minimum as of now). i would love to see someone performing surgeries (minor/or major) without training. :eek:

Ah, I see what you're saying, lol. :thumbup: