Podiatry school choices, where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpmrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know overall I have to visit the schools to really decide what is right for me But....

Out of the schools which ones are the better recognized ones. I would want to mostly focus on surgery and sports medicine if that has any weight in the final decision. I see different things on this board praising some schools and cutting down others. The two closest schools would be chicago or cleveland however, I don't mind going far away if it means that the school will prepare me the best for my future career and give me good placement in it. (I know that if you work hard at any of the schools you will do well etc, but my response to that is "why work hard at any school if one school will consistently push out good students regardless of how hard they work because the program is just that good") I also know that any podiatry school will not be cakewalk and I don't expect it to be. I do know that I will be spending the next few years of my life there and want to have a good experience and a great education with how much money I am going to invest into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Surgery and sports medicine are things that you will pursue more in residency than school. Think of it like any other medical school. You get your base in school and then find a residency to suit your interests. Therefore, your concern with a podiatry program should be which one is going to give you a well-rounded education and get you a desired residency.
Statistically (incoming stats, board scores, residency placement) DMU is the best. Scholl is also a good program.

If research interests you, Scholl is the best. They have Dr. Anderson, a top research figure in medicine, who has published many Podiatric Journals in JAMA. Also, there is the option to get a PhD. :thumbup:

Rosalind Franklin is an awsome institute, with a lot of medical resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea chicago definately interests me because of the closeness factor and the fact it's in/right near a bigger city but right now it sounds like des moines is the top place to go. Barry sounds nice but there hasn't been a lot of talk about it. True it would be a bit hot in the summer but other than that how does their program compare to temple, des moines, and chicago as it seems like although cleveland is close, the other schools seem to be quite a bit better? (not implying these other schools are bad or anything like that)

doclm said:
If research interests you, Scholl is the best. They have Dr. Anderson, a top research figure in medicine, who has published many Podiatric Journals in JAMA. Also, there is the option to get a PhD. :thumbup:

Rosalind Franklin is an awsome institute, with a lot of medical resources.

It is Dr. David Armstrong, not Anderson...thanks

dpmrunner said:
Yea chicago definately interests me because of the closeness factor and the fact it's in/right near a bigger city but right now it sounds like des moines is the top place to go. Barry sounds nice but there hasn't been a lot of talk about it. True it would be a bit hot in the summer but other than that how does their program compare to temple, des moines, and chicago as it seems like although cleveland is close, the other schools seem to be quite a bit better? (not implying these other schools are bad or anything like that)

There's another Dr. Arstrong at Barry, Albert Armstrong D.P.M., who is the professor of radiology. His private practice is a little unique, specializing in the diagnostic imaging of the foot and leg. (Remember, in Florida the podiatry scope of practice includes treatment of the bone up to the knee, but treatment of soft tissues all the way to the hip) This Dr. Armstrong is doing some pretty exciting work in diagnostic imaging and treatment of deep veinous thrombosis (DVT). DVT can lead to pulmonary embolism and up to 200,000 people per year die from it, suddenly, unexpectantly, and with little or no symptoms.

There are a lot of other good faculty members at Barry as well. Recently, several of them were featured at the International Biomechanics and wound care conference in Great Brittain. The Barry faculty has also lectured at international conferences in Eindhoven, Holland, Geneva, Jerusalem, and Paris. Dr. Chet Evans, dean of the School of Graduate Medical Sciences at Barry, is the founder of the American Academy of Wound Management. Barry is also the sponsor of the sponsor of the International Israeli Fellowship Exchange Program, where residents from the United States recieve training at Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem. Dr. Charles Harless began the Yucatan Crippled Children's Project where they have provided life altering surgery and treatment to over 4,500 indigent crippled children. Barry podiatric faculty have led mercy flights to Haiti and Jamaica to provide health care to more than 10,000 indigent islanders over the last three years as well. Barry also has a faculty exchange program where podiatrists from European countries come to Miami to study and lecture. Then, there's the Basic Sciences faculty to consider as well, but I won't get into that right now. I just wanted to say that Barry does have more to offer than year-round warm weather and women in bikinis :laugh:

scpod said:
There's another Dr. Arstrong at Barry, Albert Armstrong D.P.M., who is the professor of radiology. His private practice is a little unique, specializing in the diagnostic imaging of the foot and leg. (Remember, in Florida the podiatry scope of practice includes treatment of the bone up to the knee, but treatment of soft tissues all the way to the hip) This Dr. Armstrong is doing some pretty exciting work in diagnostic imaging and treatment of deep veinous thrombosis (DVT). DVT can lead to pulmonary embolism and up to 200,000 people per year die from it, suddenly, unexpectantly, and with little or no symptoms.

There are a lot of other good faculty members at Barry as well. Recently, several of them were featured at the International Biomechanics and wound care conference in Great Brittain. The Barry faculty has also lectured at international conferences in Eindhoven, Holland, Geneva, Jerusalem, and Paris. Dr. Chet Evans, dean of the School of Graduate Medical Sciences at Barry, is the founder of the American Academy of Wound Management. Barry is also the sponsor of the sponsor of the International Israeli Fellowship Exchange Program, where residents from the United States recieve training at Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem. Dr. Charles Harless began the Yucatan Crippled Children's Project where they have provided life altering surgery and treatment to over 4,500 indigent crippled children. Barry podiatric faculty have led mercy flights to Haiti and Jamaica to provide health care to more than 10,000 indigent islanders over the last three years as well. Barry also has a faculty exchange program where podiatrists from European countries come to Miami to study and lecture.

Thats pretty cool, I wasnt aware of that.

Ski Bum said:
It is Dr. David Armstrong, not Anderson...thanks

Woops.... Your right his name is Dr. Armstrong, my bad. :laugh:

Here's my take for the California school:

Basic info:
- associated with a nursing/PT/OT/PA school in Oakland called Samuel Merritt College

Pros:
- Fourth year core rotations (seattle, two bay area cores, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico) = more surgical exposure to different surgeons. Also gives some advantages to certain residency programs
- good biomechanics with an association with Prolab orthotics
- Some of the professors are from UCSF medical school (derm, pediatrics)
- the Virginia Mason fellowship director comes to lecture our school if your interested in sports medicine
- pretty good diabetic rotations @ two different hospitals
- awesome trauma rotation with UCSF at SF general hospital
- opportunity to rotate with great podiatric surgeons (Chang, Schuberth)
- great anatomy professor and histology
- clinics start in your 2nd year
- fantastic weather all year round
- small class size (30-40)

Cons:
- decent teaching in surgery and trauma. These profs are old school though
- other basic medical science profs are average to above average
- lots of driving around to different hospitals
- cost of living is moderately high
- research opportunity really sucks! But you can find some with local residencies. I did and published a case study in the Journal of Foot and Ankle surgery in my 4th year

If I had to rank CSPM from meeting other students from the other schools, I'd say a tie for 3rd with Ohio and Iowa. Scholl and Temple are not too far ahead of them.

In the end, it doesn't really matter where you go. As long as you make the most of your education, you can be still be a great DPM.

The more important questions are like:
- choosing a school that fits my family and kids the best or being closer to home
- where would I like to live for the next 4 years (Des Moines, Cleveland, Miami, New York?)
- where do you want to practice?

dpmrunner said:

I interviewed at the Dr. Scholls school in Chicago and it was amazging. I interviewd at Ohio, Iowa, and Temple, and none of them even come close. Scholl has an incredible facility, amazing anatomy and gait lab, and their curriculum is well integrated with the RFU medical school. But the best part about Scholl, from what I learned at the interview, is that their whole misson is to emphasis the "healthcare team" and how each profession is essential. This is why in their clinic you will see MD's, DPM's, PA's, PT's, and nurses. And everyone works together as a team, rather than keeping distance b/c my degree is better than yours BS.
If you havent interviewd at Scholl yet, then you are missing out. I cant imagine anyone considering a career in podiatry without checking out Scholl. Oh and by the way, not everyone gets in like what others have been saying. For the 2005 entering class, they recieved 550 applicants, sent out 150 interview invitations, and accepted only 86. So good luck to all!!!

I interviewed at scholl and have been accepted (conditional, need other minor things to be received still). I have an interview set up with Iowa and then I have to decide out of the other schools I applied to which ones I want to go for an interview. I know I should go to all of them and give them I chance but lets face it, it is expensive(although in comparison cheap compared to the rest of your career). I was really impressed with Chicago and can say I am leaning towards there big time but I know I have to check out at least a few other schools to compare it to so that way I know I made a concrete decision from what I can learn on visits alone.