Podiatry School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really interested in Podiatry School, I did some research on the curriculum and it seems like you guys have a lot of research requirements, so what exactly do you do in those classes like Research Design
http://podiatry.temple.edu/curriculum/curriculum.html I saw the curriculum here

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm really interested in Podiatry School, I did some research on the curriculum and it seems like you guys have a lot of research requirements, so what exactly do you do in those classes like Research Design

That depends on the school. DMU has no research requirements in the cirriculum. They do have research opportunities and coming to a classroom near you soon a possible elective course in research.

OP, I'm not sure where you're seeing research on that link you posted? All I see is a first year "Research Design" class. I'd guess that class is similar to the basic stats and research introduction most pod schools have.

Research requirements vary among schools. A lot of schools don't have much required research, but some programs require one or more projects for graduation. At Barry, I know we do a bit of research in the physio II lab, we write a few literature reviews and turn in or present them for course credit, and I believe a senior research publication is mandatory (although I'm not sure on that since I'm not there yet).

If you want research, you can certainly find it. The school ACFAS chapters work on surgical poster presentations, and there are plenty of research opportunities if you find the like-minded faculty and students at each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info guys, on the contrary, I want to do as little with research as possible, do you guys know any schools like that, I don't like research but I can digest like a statistics class.

At DMU, you get a poorly designed (IMO) crash course on research design and methods in your first year Intro to Pod Med class. It's sort of pointless to have it there I think because you don't really do research until you get into your 2nd year (end of 1st year for us gunners, right feelgood?) and by the time you get to do research, you're forgotten all there is to know about it. Plus the tests are horrible and most people end up almost failing that class.

Research requirements vary among schools. A lot of schools don't have much required research, but some programs require one or more projects for graduation. At Barry, I know we do a bit of research in the physio II lab, we write a few literature reviews and turn in or present them for course credit, and I believe a senior research publication is mandatory (although I'm not sure on that since I'm not there yet).

If you want research, you can certainly find it. The school ACFAS chapters work on surgical poster presentations, and there are plenty of research opportunities if you find the like-minded faculty and students at each school.

Don't the majority of residency programs require at least one research project that results in the submission of paper to a peer-reviewed journal for publication?

As a TUSPM graduate, I can answer your question. The purpose of the research design course is to teach the students how to design a research project from start to finish. In this course, you will learn some basic statistical analysis, developing a hypothesis for your research project, etc... This does not mean that TUSPM students are required to complete a research project for graduation. Since there are plenty of research opportunities at TUSPM, this course will help the students to develop their research projects. By the way, I thought that CPME required all Podiatry schools to include something about research design in their curriculum.

Don't the majority of residency programs require at least one research project that results in the submission of paper to a peer-reviewed journal for publication?
Do you mean one research project publication as an entrance requirement for applicants to that residency, or do you mean one published article done while a resident of the program?

Sadly, I think that a fair amount of podiatry students graduate without publishing anything - some may never even write true research. I'd assume almost every resident does research or at least assists in a project or poster, but I don't really know...

Sadly, I think that a fair amount of podiatry students graduate without publishing anything - some may never even write true research. I'd assume almost every resident does research or at least assists in a project or poster, but I don't really know...

Nope. There is also not a requirement to do a research project to graduate from any college.

As for the CPME requirement, research curriculum does not need to be a stand alone project. There are requirements of EBM which is also found on the part II boards (I'm sure you remember that fun, DPMgrad). I do believe that all colleges have lectures on basic research, but they are not required to have a while course.

Wait a minute? So when you go on the CASPR/CRIP website and click on a specific residency and it says under research: Yes, that doesn't mean you have to publish a paper to graduate from that residency? I'm confused because some say that you have to publish a paper per year or 2 papers in 3 years or whatever (Swedish is 2 in 3 years, Kaiser/Scripps San Diego is 1/year). Or is it just Residency by residency and they can set what they want (read: no set standard, just whatever the residency wants).

Wait a minute? So when you go on the CASPR/CRIP website and click on a specific residency and it says under research: Yes, that doesn't mean you have to publish a paper to graduate from that residency? I'm confused because some say that you have to publish a paper per year or 2 papers in 3 years or whatever (Swedish is 2 in 3 years, Kaiser/Scripps San Diego is 1/year). Or is it just Residency by residency and they can set what they want (read: no set standard, just whatever the residency wants).

Bingo. It is different program to program. The CPME has a reserach requirement, but some programs write up a case study and call it research.

pretty sure every school has a research - EBM course to serve as an orientation to reading papers, studies, and even explaning protocols or steps to designing a project. So this isn't something 'exclusive' by any means - its necessary. You will be pretty obsolete in medicine regardless of specialty if you can't read or understand published studies.

As for the opportunities - I think every school has a research chair, and so there should be opportunities for students to participate, and design. The ACFAS chapter at each school should be a great outlet for that parocess as well.