Podiatry Student's Character

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goalie712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thought crossed my mind today, well reading a reply to my first post on this website, "What kind of Character am I going to find in Podiatry Students." You see in undergrad I witnessed both admirable (kind, humble, not self seeking) and unadmirable students. But it turns out that almost every admirable student I know got into MD/DO School.

So where did the self centered people go? I really never cared, until I started looking into Podiatry. Realizing that podiatry is a huge back up plan for medical students, there is a strong possibility that this is where they went.

After asking about Scholl, I received this reply, "I really don't think anyone can or should help you here. Apply somewhere else if you can't think of good reasons to attend Scholl. It's called research...you should try it out sometime."

And it dawned on me, perhaps podiatry is where a lot of the pre-med gerks went. I know it is wrong to assume this from a forum where internet bullies abound, but it brought a sincere worry in my mind about podiatry. I assume I will get many negative remarks to this post, but to the few that actually know what I am getting at, please provide your feedback. I just want to make sure that podiatry school provides a positive working environment.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear goalie,
I spent a week at tuspm's summer internship and got to know a lot of pod students. They were mature, polite, and helpful. They knew their stuff and seemed like any other group of med students I have ever met. You cannot pass judgment on a whole cohort based on a few people. Perhaps you should try emailing the student ambassadors at scholl (students who signed up to answer ?s from prospective students. They will be able to give you a better idea than prepods.

A thought crossed my mind today, well reading a reply to my first post on this website, "What kind of Character am I going to find in Podiatry Students." You see in undergrad I witnessed both admirable (kind, humble, not self seeking) and unadmirable students. But it turns out that almost every admirable student I know got into MD/DO School.

So where did the self centered people go? I really never cared, until I started looking into Podiatry. Realizing that podiatry is a huge back up plan for medical students, there is a strong possibility that this is where they went.

After asking about Scholl, I received this reply, "I really don't think anyone can or should help you here. Apply somewhere else if you can't think of good reasons to attend Scholl. It's called research...you should try it out sometime."

And it dawned on me, perhaps podiatry is where a lot of the pre-med gerks went. I know it is wrong to assume this from a forum where internet bullies abound, but it brought a sincere worry in my mind about podiatry. I assume I will get many negative remarks to this post, but to the few that actually know what I am getting at, please provide your feedback. I just want to make sure that podiatry school provides a positive working environment.
Im sorry im not Pre-Pod, but geez. Why are you trolling? Now you are trying to make pods seem like jerks, because you know what the response will be to your thread.I say go ask a similar question in Pre-allo, See how admiral they will respond. You think the responses were harsh here wait and see. Geez just Geez.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey goalie, looks like you already have 1 negative response like you predicted! who knew!, but yeah there are a lot of people especially on forums that are on forums that bully people around that do so because they are from a proxy and don't actually have to confront someone/have any form of a backbone..it's sad really. But onto your question...

All I can answer for is my interview experiences and my particular undergraduate institution. So as far as my interviews I interviewed at arizona, des moines, and oakland california. In arizona I had 3 other guys in my group and 2 seemed genuine and down to earth while 1 seemed shy and quiet-I don't consider that jerky just a little introverted which is fine:) um at des moines I really felt like there were at least 3 people out of a group of around 12 that seemed very fake/stuck up/full of themselves which was dissappointed but as it turns out the other 9 seemed nice and caring! so thats good, um and at oakland I felt like 2/3 of the other people that i was interviewing with were genuine. SO-as you can see its hit or miss but for the most part most people are admirable. At my undergrad it was about the same % of that population of about 25% of students being negative...I have to say that numbers on a forum like this or otherwise increase to around at least 65% in negativity and hostility so don't get discouraged by what you read on here because it's a safe bet that most that are going to be negative are just the typical kid in the corner with a grudge against everyone that isnt with a shared point of view. (negative people will likely quote the sentence you just read just for the sake of attacking me btw, just an example of the quality of some individuals) I think podiatry students for the most part are just as noble, compassionate, and intellectual as the rest of them and I feel that you should be more optimistic about your view of your possibly future colleagues-i mean if you decide to come this route :) take care!

Let me get this straight, you asked us to tell you what to say during an interview? Obviously people are going to think this is ridiculous. Laziness does not equal positive character.

About pod being a backup for dental/MD/DO, I have been hearing this less and less in recent years. I know a bunch of people (including myself) who solely applied to pod school. Furthermore, I have some buddies who got into both MD and DPM programs but chose podiatry. It is a great field that has poor PR - especially in the area of educating pre-med advisors. Things are slowly changing for the better...if more pre-med students knew that podiatry was a good option, we would definitely have more applicants and higher entrance stats (at all the schools).

About the character of pod students, I have met many during my internships and interview days. Overall, I have positive things to say about them (hard workers, friendly, etc). They took their work seriously. Of course there were a few who were akward/seemed questionable but this was a small minority (you will find that anywhere, even in medical school).

Last edited:

Goalie, people can be quite callous on this thread. The key is to take it in stride and wait until you can get a legitimate response. You might find it a little more helpful posting on the Podiatry Student thread since these Pre Pods havent attended Scholl. Also, to bring a sincere worry to your mind and question a podiatric physician's work environment based solely on this thread, as you said, is kind of silly. There are jerks in any health care profession (no offense to those as$es lol), pod, dent, opt, osteo, allo, etc...I'm sure youre not a jerk and you are considering podiatry and I'm sure this is not your backup plan. As you do skim through the threads keep in mind these are only threads where people say things they wouldnt necessarily say without the safety of their computer screen in front of their faces. :)

Also, to "realize podiatry is a backup for med students" is simply untrue. Sure, I will concede it is for some it is, but a huge back up? Nah. From personal experience I know 3 people, including myself, who were accepted to MD and DO schools but chose podiatry. Just take it in stride, Goalie, and realize *****holes are everywhere and there are good genuine people in pod. I wish you good luck :luck: and if you have any questions PM me! I will be happy to answer anythning specific about Scholl to the best of ability (I interviewed and got accepted)!:banana:

I am sure there are "gerks" out there, but the majority of pod students are very admirable. ( Trust me )

SDN represents a very small minority of pod students, plenty of students read but never post. In my class of 99 students, less than 5 post here regularly.

Last edited:

I really don't understand what you're talking about. There are many pre-meds who got into MD/DO schools BECAUSE they were self-centered (not that there aren't many admirable students as well). The competition to get into MD school nowadays is absurd, to the point where pre-med students have to be somewhat deceptive to get ahead. I mean it's seriously ridiculous.

You posted a question on your last thread asking other pre-pod students their reasons for going to scholl because you couldn't think of any. I ASSURE you, if you posted that same question in any other forum (dental/MD/DO/pharm/optom), you would get the same response and I PROMISE you..the pre-MD students will give you comments that are ten times more harsh than the one you saw here.

I've already told you this. The answer to "why scholl" is a personal question. The posts you saw may have seemed mean, but they basically gave you a list of what to say. The one thing REALLY bothers me is the fact that you went and started another thread complaining that ALL podiatry students were jerks because they wouldn't "help you." I don't know about the rest of you, but that seems really childish. When you get to the real world, things aren't going to be bunnies and rainbows. There's going to be a lot of people rooting for you to fail and will do anything to see it happen. So, please don't go around bashing pod students because one INTERNET POST made you feel insecure.

And as expected yet another negative response and people wonder why some view pre-pods as less admirable

i love bunnies and rainbows. and my mom tied my shoes and cut my meat for me until I graduated.

some of the generalizations on here are absolutely ridiculous. To let whatever minority form your opinion on an entire profession is sad.

Since you are new to SDN, realize that everything on here has to be taken with a grain of salt and also realize that everyone has an agenda. This can be both good and bad. While you can gain some insight into why to go to scholl, this is probably coming from somebody who goes there already and what works for them may not work for you. Thus, in the end, gain perspective and seek opinions from a large variety or sources so that you can make an educated, well informed choice. As opposed to "i met one podiatry student who was a jerk, therefore all podiatry students are jerks."

You, and everyone on here, should take posts with a grain of salt. Sometimes a post that may look really nasty, may actually be really helpful (e.g. Jew's first reply in the Scholl interview thread). Yeah some people on here rub others the wrong way, but some of those people have a plethora of amazing advice. Jew, for example, saved my arse when he told me to "stop being lazy and call the schools myself". I was really annoyed at first, but you know what? If it weren't for him, I would have been at an interview half way across the country that I wasn't even scheduled for (stupid email didn't go through). Thank God for Jews! :thumbup:

Figuring out why you like a certain school is going to sound a lot more genuine if it comes from you than if it is some BS from someone on SDN. You are obviously pretty intelligent if you are applying to a professional program, or at least I would hope so. You can figure out what appeals to you based off Scholl's website. Or have you tried searching through old threads? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are new to SDN, realize that everything on here has to be taken with a grain of salt and also realize that everyone has an agenda.

Lol this is the second time you and I have posted similar replies within a minute of each other. Stop hacking my computer :p

I have found SDN to be quite helpful in my school decision. I would recommend searching through old threads and looking at interview feedback. While some things have changed i.e. scholls 2+2, much is the same over the last year. I think enough has been said in previous threads to help you form an opinion.

i love bunnies and rainbows. and my mom tied my shoes and cut my meat for me until I graduated.

Seriously. This kid needs to toughen up.

Goalie, you come on here asking for people to TELL YOU WHAT TO SAY during an interview because you don't feel like researching the school and expect good results? Get a grip. Your laziness was/is irritating and the fact that you'll take time to make a post to whine about the responses you got, but won't read up on the school on your own really shows that this is probably a "back up" option for you and that you're not really into it. If so, kindly go elsewhere and do take your generalizations with you. All you had to do was search old threads on here for information and form your own reasons for attending, but even that was apparently too much....:thumbdown:

Look, I may be acting like a "gerk" but you have to understand that we get a lot of this kind of crap around here, and also we do get many uninspired people coming through these forums who do see podiatry as a back up. It becomes frustrating. I personally can't stand it and I wont entertain it anymore. So if I've judged you too harshly, I apologize, but at first glance you appeared to be the aformentioned "lazy slacker" who sees podiatry as a backup that wasn't even willing to do your own homework.

Last edited:
Seriously. This kid needs to toughen up.

Goalie, you come on here asking for people to TELL YOU WHAT TO SAY during an interview because you don't feel like researching the school and expect good results? Get a grip. Your laziness was/is irritating and the fact that you'll take time to make a post to whine about the responses you got, but won't read up on the school on your own really shows that this is probably a "back up" option for you and that you're not really into it. If so, kindly go elsewhere and do take your generalizations with you. All you had to do was search old threads on here for information and form your own reasons for attending, but even that was apparently too much....:thumbdown:

Look, I may be acting like a "gerk" but you have to understand that we get a lot of this kind of crap around here, and also we do get many uninspired people coming through these forums who do see podiatry as a back up. It becomes frustrating. I personally can't stand it and I wont entertain it anymore. So if I've judged you too harshly, I apologize, but at first glance you appeared to be the aformentioned "lazy slacker" who sees podiatry as a backup that wasn't even willing to do your own homework.

I have read both threads and I have to say dpmPOD has it right, you came to this forum, didn't want to do any research, and then expected these pre-podiatry students to tell you what to say. This to me is not genuine and I'm sure an interviewer would recognize this also in the response that would result. I too am tired of people implying that podiatry is a "back up" plan for us all, I could have went MD but I CHOSE podiatry because its what I WANT to do... and many other people on this forum have the same perspective. It is insulting to imply such and I have no sympathy for these people who coe to this board and perpetuate this idea...

Ah heck c'mon pod people, tell it like it is. Pod students are lyin', cheatin', *****-mongin' rebels without a cause. They will sell there souls (and soles :p) to the devil to make a buck. Most couldn't get gas station jobs, so they chose pods since feet smell too. Furthermore, pods has the lowest standards or morals of any healthcare profession and most DPM's are drunks or drug addicts themselves. Most have been fired from McDonald's and such, and therefore are well qualified to work with dirty feet. As far as character, most make politicians (i.e. Bill Clinton, GW, etc. etc. etc.) look like upstanding choirboys. Now let's talk about Chiropractor's character and reputations. :laugh::laugh:

PS - I'm only joking, if you can't tell. But seriously, what do you think DPM's are like? No diff than any other human or doc.

you forgot they cheat on their taxes, throw their parents in retirement homes early, steal candy from babies, wipe boogers on other people and re-gift presents.

Podiatry student character is no different than MD/DO/DDS/etc character. You will see that the majority are all good, genuine people. And of course, you will always have your idiots.

I had a tear in my eye for you; until I read your other thread.

We all hate everyone except ourselves, we are only in it for the money, and we do feet so we don't have to look at your ugly face!:smuggrin:

Just Kidding. All the Jerks actually go to MD school. The backup for MD school is DO school, not DPM, with few exceptions. Pods are more laid back and cool than MD uberstudy types. I can's speak for other schools, but in Cali, I like 90 percent of my classmates...

Now as for the other 10 percent, they are cool too, just not my cup of Cocoa.

Character is important. A fair amount of highly regarded residency programs have a sizable component of their interview, or even the whole thing, as a social evaluation. It's important to them to attract smart, competent people as their residents, but it's clear that they also want hard workers who aren't going to cause personality conflicts.

Podiatry student character is no different than MD/DO/DDS/etc character. You will see that the majority are all good, genuine people. And of course, you will always have your idiots.
:thumbup:

Character is important. A fair amount of highly regarded residency programs have a sizable component of their interview, or even the whole thing, as a social evaluation. It's important to them to attract smart, competent people as their residents, but it's clear that they also want hard workers who aren't going to cause personality conflicts.

:thumbup:
That criteria rules out about 1/2 the people on this board. :laugh: