podiatry to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlioness

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a few people that are considering going into different areas of healthcare (nursing, PT) including becoming a PA due to the residency shortage.

How would a program look at a candidate applying that completed their podiatry degree but choosing to now go the PA route?

Would it be looked at negatively or if a reasonable explanation is given (ie podiatry not right fit, no residencies available, prefer family practice), not so much? I am sure it would be on an individual basis.

But just curious on thoughts or if anyone knows of anyone moving from podiatry to PA.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

a podiatrist would bring great skills to a job as a pa however think long and hard about changing from being the top dog/physician level provider to someone else's employee.
a pod/pa would fit very well into an ortho foot/ankle practice and could use skills from both degrees. interesting idea but unless you found the right job probably a big let down...

Doesn't the military use a lot of podiatrists? I even gave them business once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Txlioness, I'm guessing you didn't scramble into a residency? The residency shortage wouldn't matter if you had one. Did you pass part 1 and 2 of boards? If you were unable to properly complete a degree in pod, I imagine other programs will be weary of you.....

I know a few people that are considering going into different areas of healthcare (nursing, PT) including becoming a PA due to the residency shortage.

How would a program look at a candidate applying that completed their podiatry degree but choosing to now go the PA route?

Would it be looked at negatively or if a reasonable explanation is given (ie podiatry not right fit, no residencies available, prefer family practice), not so much? I am sure it would be on an individual basis.

But just curious on thoughts or if anyone knows of anyone moving from podiatry to PA.

Thanks!

I have a question about student loans in such a situation. I obviously don't know your individual situation...you could be independently wealthy. But let's take someone who is 3 years into podiatry school, with say $75k in student loans (probably a low figure). They decide to switch to PA school.

Since PAs generally don't make a ton of money, wouldn't all that extra debt from pod school make this decision that much harder?

Reactions: 1 user
Since PAs generally don't make a ton of money, wouldn't all that extra debt from pod school make this decision that much harder?
pa's can easily make 100k+ and in some specialties closer to 150k.

pa's can easily make 100k+ and in some specialties closer to 150k.

Uh..... No?

The median pay for an experienced PA is 90k, so 100k is not "easily" obtained.

The top ten percent makes around 125k....

Edit: here's a source: http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Assistant-Medical-Salary.html

That source puts only 25% over 100k and 10% over 110k......

4 years of pod school debt PLUS PA school debt will take FOREVER to get rid of. You'd have to default on your pod school loans, and with an 8% interest...

Uh..... No?
QUOTE]

I Know hundreds of pa's.
If you take primary care out of the mix the avg is over 100k.
I know very few pa's who make less than 100k and several making 150-200k.
many of my students make 110k to start right out of school.
http://nurse-practitioners-and-phys...res/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2011.aspx
avg pa last yr made just under 95 k and this was less than 2010 due to economic issues.. this includes new grads and anyone working > 32 hrs /week. so yes, lots of pa's make > 100k. many jobs in em for example pay 60-80 dollars/hr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh..... No?
QUOTE]

I Know hundreds of pa's.
If you take primary care out of the mix the avg is over 100k.
I know very few pa's who make less than 100k and several making 150-200k.
many of my students make 110k to start right out of school.
http://nurse-practitioners-and-phys...res/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2011.aspx
avg pa last yr made just under 95 k and this was less than 2010 due to economic issues.. this includes new grads and anyone working > 32 hrs /week. so yes, lots of pa's make > 100k. many jobs in em for example pay 60-80 dollars/hr.

Your anecdotal evidence does nothing for me, but i will look at the data from the link YOU provided. You said that PAs can easily make over 100k. The link provided shows that only 25% percent of PAs working in specific settings make an a average of just a few thousand over 100k.

When you say "easily" you have to realize that that explicitly states it is literally easy to make over 100k. So either that statement isn't true, or the vast majority of PAs are not even competent enough to do something easy.... Choose wisely.

Look at the study methodology/limitations. those #s include folks working 32 hrs a week and all primary care specialties. also consider that the folks who take surveys like these are the ones who get the magazine in question and are willing to participate. these are for the most part young folks early in their careers. older pa's often don't take these surveys.
now, remove those working less than 40 hrs week and remove those working primary care and you get many making > 100k/yr.
also, someone with a bit of incentive can work overtime(also not included in survey) and increase their income. the avg is 95k for pete's sake.
many pa's make > 100k. it is a fact. I don't know why you are even arguing this with me.
I am not saying podiatrists make bad money or that this guy should be a pa. I am saying many pa's make > 100k and that is a fact.
my anecdotal info with > 25 yrs involved in the specialty is worth a lot....

Look at the study methodology/limitations. those #s include folks working 32 hrs a week and all primary care specialties. also consider that the folks who take surveys like these are the ones who get the magazine in question and are willing to participate. these are for the most part young folks early in their careers. older pa's often don't take these surveys.
now, remove those working less than 40 hrs week and remove those working primary care and you get many making > 100k/yr.
also, someone with a bit of incentive can work overtime(also not included in survey) and increase their income. the avg is 95k for pete's sake.
many pa's make > 100k. it is a fact. I don't know why you are even arguing this with me.
I am not saying podiatrists make bad money or that this guy should be a pa. I am saying many pa's make > 100k and that is a fact.
my anecdotal info with > 25 yrs involved in the specialty is worth a lot....

I'm not arguing with you. Just suggesting it is not as easy as you make it seem.

I'm not arguing with you. Just suggesting it is not as easy as you make it seem.

I came out of NP school making $100,000 plus. I think most Western states pay that. The southern states :thumbdown:

I came out of NP school making $100,000 plus. I think most Western states pay that. The southern states :thumbdown:

I'm happy for you! But all studies suggest you are the exception, not the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ask anyone and they will tell you I've always been the exception, lol! But remember most studies aren't worth the glossy paper they are printed on.

I smell a troll. You start arguments in every forum don't you?(I made 180k-120k base with 60 call pay which is me sleeping 80 percent of the time before I went to med school I know several guys in the 200k range as well.)

Most pas won't respond to inquires about their salary......what does a pod make nowadays

I know that a local neurosurgery group starts PA's at either $160k or $180k (I can't remember which), but it sounds like those guys really work their butts off. At the same time, I was surprised to learn recently that a local orthopedic group was offering $80k for a surgical PA (I was under the impression PA's in orthopedic surgery started at around $120k - $130k). I guess a lot of the variability just depends on the group/hospital...

I smell a troll. You start arguments in every forum don't you?(I made 180k-120k base with 60 call pay which is me sleeping 80 percent of the time before I went to med school I know several guys in the 200k range as well.)

Most pas won't respond to inquires about their salary......what does a pod make nowadays

Pods salary is very variable, but a good figure to point at is usually like 150k. Some make over 300k some under 100k.

I'm not a troll. If you smell one, it's probably because someone came into this thread and told someone else that if thy have 4 years of pod school debt PLUS PA debt, that making over 100k is "easy." and should be basically be expected.

That's what made me upset and that's why I responded. When someone tells someone else that their debt won't be a problem because they'll make oodles and poodles of $$$ as a PA and it isn't true, obviously I don't want that person to skip over to PA school willy-nilly and think their financial situation will be fixed because PAs make so much.

I'm not suggesting that some highly trained, exceptional PAs cannot make over 100k, but I am suggesting that telling the OP (who probably has minimally 200k in debt), that they will "easily" be a part of this group is doing the OP a disservice and probably all the PAs who work their butts off trying to "easily" get their 100k.

Pods salary is very variable, but a good figure to point at is usually like 150k. Some make over 300k some under 100k.

I'm not a troll. If you smell one, it's probably because someone came into this thread and told someone else that if thy have 4 years of pod school debt PLUS PA debt, that making over 100k is "easy." and should be basically be expected.

That's what made me upset and that's why I responded. When someone tells someone else that their debt won't be a problem because they'll make oodles and poodles of $$$ as a PA and it isn't true, obviously I don't want that person to skip over to PA school willy-nilly and think their financial situation will be fixed because PAs make so much.

I'm not suggesting that some highly trained, exceptional PAs cannot make over 100k, but I am suggesting that telling the OP (who probably has minimally 200k in debt), that they will "easily" be a part of this group is doing the OP a disservice and probably all the PAs who work their butts off trying to "easily" get their 100k.

I guess we will have to disagree on that subject. My first year out I made 120ish base salary(em and I spent a month of that year in Asia among numerous other vacations) and I was offered a job at a prison that was offering a heck of a lot more than that(that job would have been slave labor but I would have made 200k+ easily)

So basically any pa can make that 100k easy as long as they don't limit themselves to primary care as well as certain areas geographically.

Also I am not as highly trained as some members of this board but I know where and how to look for jobs.

I would be more worried about the op overstepping his scope than him not making good money if he decided to go the pa route.

I guess we will have to disagree on that subject. My first year out I made 120ish base salary(em and I spent a month of that year in Asia among numerous other vacations) and I was offered a job at a prison that was offering a heck of a lot more than that(that job would have been slave labor but I would have made 200k+ easily)

So basically any pa can make that 100k easy as long as they don't limit themselves to primary care as well as certain areas geographically.

Also I am not as highly trained as some members of this board but I know where and how to look for jobs.

I would be more worried about the op overstepping his scope than him not making good money if he decided to go the pa route.

Makati, greater than half of your profession does not make 100k. This has been factually verified with numerous studies. Heck, the BLS says median pay isn't even 90k!

I get that you and emedpa are doing great, and honestly, I think that's wonderful. But you have to realize, that isn't typical. If every single person you know is making >100k as a PA, where in the world is BLS, salary.com, the survey emedpa provided, getting their info from?

Also, this business about only working 32 hours or being in primary care is ludicrous because some PAs can only find 32 hour/week jobs, and Primary Care is a huge "employer" of PAs, so telling all newly graduated PAs to go into a specialty setting and not PC wouldn't work.

Again, I get it. Some PAs make over 100k. But I don't think that should be expected based off the statistical data provided by multitudes of sources and because I bet the PAs making over 100k didn't get there easily. I'm sure you had to be the top in your class, etc etc.

Makati, greater than half of your profession does not make 100k. This has been factually verified with numerous studies. Heck, the BLS says median pay isn't even 90k!

I get that you and emedpa are doing great, and honestly, I think that's wonderful. But you have to realize, that isn't typical. If every single person you know is making >100k as a PA, where in the world is BLS, salary.com, the survey emedpa provided, getting their info from?

Also, this business about only working 32 hours or being in primary care is ludicrous because some PAs can only find 32 hour/week jobs, and Primary Care is a huge "employer" of PAs, so telling all newly graduated PAs to go into a specialty setting and not PC wouldn't work.

Again, I get it. Some PAs make over 100k. But I don't think that should be expected based off the statistical data provided by multitudes of sources and because I bet the PAs making over 100k didn't get there easily. I'm sure you had to be the top in your class, etc etc.

I just noticed your a student without ever being in the field so we are going to continue to disagree on this. Also wasn't at the top of my class by any stretch. It's all about being willing to work. The lazy guys will make poor money and the guys that do even a little leg work will make six figures point blank.

Also why did you switch from wanting to do omfs to pods? Seems dentistry would be a lot more stable and enjoyable then pod?

I just noticed your a student without ever being in the field so we are going to continue to disagree on this. Also wasn't at the top of my class by any stretch. It's all about being willing to work. The lazy guys will make poor money and the guys that do even a little leg work will make six figures point blank.

Also why did you switch from wanting to do omfs to pods? Seems dentistry would be a lot more stable and enjoyable then pod?

The bolded texts suggest that over half of PAs are lazy... lol. You can tell me I'm not in school and that diminishes my clout, but I'm looking at this from a logical, purely statistical standpoint and my view on this will not change regardless of where I am in my education.

Off topic, but: you asked two questions, first question, oms to pod: oms isn't a for sure thing. Who knows if i'll get matched into oral surgery or not. I could try as hard as I want and it still might not happen.

dentistry: I'm not sure that dentistry is more "stable" than pods. The population is aging, getting fatter, increase in diabetics, and playing more sports. All these factors put together is a huge population of people needing a pod. Will people always have teeth problems? Probably, but as stem cell research progresses and implant surgery becomes perfected, many dental specialties will be left out on the street, and the need
for dentistry as a whole will diminish (i predict). Also, general dentistry is something I am not interested in at all. Drilling, filling, and billing was not a job i wanted. I did like oms, but as I stated before, no guarantee of that, and the fallback for oms is GD, and podiatry is much more enjoyable than GD. More surgery, larger variety of care, yet you get all the benefits of GD (your own boss, set your hours, creating relationship with patients, not just seeing them in the OR, etc etc).

Just out of curiosity, do you know if it is common (or even within the realm of possibility) for an NP to get hired to work in the ER? For someone who hasn't started a graduate program yet, would it be most beneficial to pursue an ACNP track w/ RNFA certification?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if it is common (or even within the realm of possibility) for an NP to get hired to work in the ER? For someone who hasn't started a graduate program yet, would it be most beneficial to pursue an ACNP track w/ RNFA certification?
there are np jobs in em but not as common as pa jobs. pa's own the em market for the most part in the same way np's own psych and nicu.

I imagine the actual practicing NP/PA's in this thread know more than the pre-pod student about NP/PA salaries FYI.

Just to add some evidence, the going rate for PA/NP's in my state is $75-100/hr depending on how experienced you are. Not to shed anonymity but I have family members that hire a LOT of mid levels (and doc's for that matter lol) and that is the going rate. Some groups here pay less but they get the the crappy MLPs.

This is for non primary care PA/NP but still.

Keep in mind those salary survey's are notoriously inaccurate. As my dad puts it "Do you think anyone is actually stupid enough to give their real salary? Great way to get a pay cut."

Last edited:
I imagine the actual practicing NP/PA's in this thread know more than the pre-pod student about NP/PA salaries FYI.

Just to add some evidence, the going rate for PA/NP's in my state is $75-100/hr depending on how experienced you are. Not to shed anonymity but I have family members that hire a LOT of mid levels (and doc's for that matter lol) and that is the going rate. Some groups here pay less but they get the the crappy MLPs.

This is for non primary care PA/NP but still.

Keep in mind those salary survey's are notoriously inaccurate. As my dad puts it "Do you think anyone is actually stupid enough to give their real salary? Great way to get a pay cut."

My dad is the president of AAPA and he knows how much every single PA makes in the nation.

See how easy that was? That's why anecdotal evidence doesn't count when you're on an anonymous forum - especially when you are fighting against numbers. Here, I'll lay it down for you VERY simply:

AAPA (Physician Assistants): $90k (2010) http://www.aapa.org/the_pa_profession/quick_facts/resources/item.aspx?id=3839

That's from your professional organization itself! They do everything they can to INFLATE numbers to make their profession look more attractive. Proof? Here's Dentists and Pods salary info from their respective orgs.

ADA (Dentists): $192k (2010) http://www.ada.org/1444.aspx (BLS reports: 146k)

APMA (Pods): $191k (2008) http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/cz3_faqs.asp (BLS Reports: 118k)

So as you can see, the professional orgs contrast GREATLY with the BLS and salary.com, etc etc because they want to make their profession attractive. Yet, the AAPA reports 90k. Hmm.... Tell me I'm a pre-pod, blah blah blah, but the numbers don't lie.

I look forward to your retort.

fyi- the 95k # I posted earlier from adv. for pa's magazine in based on the latest(2011) aapa figures.(you used the 2010).

wait...that would be....sensible....
sure, there are crappy jobs with crappy salaries out there. with a bit of initiative(and yes many people in all fields lack this) one can make good money.
I have worked side by side at jobs with physicians doing exactly the same job where I made more money than they did. I was doing very well and they were selling themselves short.

wait...that would be....sensible....

hatereagle.jpg

I'll tell my dad to update the website.... :laugh::laugh:

Lol. Even if your dad was truly the AAPA president I still would say he should know better(I know your bsing.). We all know that majority of folks aren't going to report what they make to ANYONE.

I personally don't like what the AAPA is doing to my profession like I don't like what the AOA is doing to the D.O. profession. Both of these groups goals seem to not being able to help the professions as a whole.(Total tangent I know)

Maybe if you focused more on your school work(and not acting like you know as much about either one of my professions D.O. or P.A) you could get into dental school and become an OMS. Just a thought because if you can't give any constructive criticism then disappear or go study some bio/orgo/gen chem to get ready for your admission into pod school or if you change your mind again to dental.

I am beginning to wonder if your some 20ish arrogant know it all because that is what it sure seems like lol.

Lol. Even if your dad was truly the AAPA president I still would say he should know better(I know your bsing.). We all know that majority of folks aren't going to report what they make to ANYONE.

I personally don't like what the AAPA is doing to my profession like I don't like what the AOA is doing to the D.O. profession. Both of these groups goals seem to not being able to help the professions as a whole.(Total tangent I know)

Maybe if you focused more on your school work(and not acting like you know as much about either one of my professions D.O. or P.A) you could get into dental school and become an OMS. Just a thought because if you can't give any constructive criticism then disappear or go study some bio/orgo/gen chem to get ready for your admission into pod school or if you change your mind again to dental.

I am beginning to wonder if your some 20ish arrogant know it all because that is what it sure seems like lol.

^^ Haha, sorry, but you made it too easy - I couldn't refuse.

I'm not acting like I know about the profession, just spewing facts (from multiple sources, mind you!) that are easily obtainable from the internet. This whole argument started because emedpa told someone that it was "easy" to make 100k as a PA. All I'm looking for is for someone to acknowledge the fact that it is, indeed, NOT easy for a PA to make 100k (or alternatively, over 50% of PAs cannot accomplish something easy to make more money). That's all.

My "criticism" has been constructive, as I've provided citations for all my assertions and I am merely trying to help the OP in his/her pursuit. Your criticism is of me, and does not help the OP in any way. I take the MCAT on Thursday, so studying those topics at this point is probably moot. I also find it comical that you instruct me that I could not possibly know about salary info for PAs as much as you do (I don't know why you brought up DO and told me I don't know much about it....), but then turn around and seemingly pretend to know my life (dentistry, studying more, etc etc) than I do! By all means, give me feedback on my life - I welcome it! But, when you give me feedback something I am truly more of an expert on (my life) right after telling me I could not possibly know about salary info on PAs (and DOs...), it is a bit hypocritical.

In terms of you refuting all the data I have provided, you suggest that not many people would tell anyone what they make. That doesn't mean the numbers are inaccurate, that just means the sampling pool was potentially smaller. If you had said, "I have statistically based information that the wealthiest PAs refuse to complete surveys, and share their income data with anyone." Then I would concede, and suggest that perhaps more than 50% of PAs make >100k.

Again, all I'm looking for here is for someone to tell me that the "easy" post was wrong and misleading.

Is that the best you got? Pretty pathetic bro considering I am typing this in a nonformal arena but again you prove my point even more. Go study little boy.

Chillax, it was a joke, cause you called me an arrogant know it all. Yikes!

But forreal though, I'm probably bigger than you (statistically speaking, of course).

I love it when a thread turns high school

when is Glee on?

Dude, calm down. That funny picture didn't turn this thing into high school, it was a way for me to retaliate in a way that shows I'm not offended, because this is SDN, not court.

But... your comment on the other hand was condescending, unwarranted, and unproductive.

Also, your Glee comment is missed by me. I don't watch Glee, and the Average Glee viewer is 38..... http://stephenslighthouse.com/2010/08/16/average-age-of-old-media-users-viewers/

But... your comment on the other hand was condescending, unwarranted, and unproductive.

Just having a little fun myself; it fits right in... most sdn threads/topics/comments turn into that...

And your spelling smack should go over well (though I agree with you on that point)
Spelling/grammar is a lost art on the internet (informal or not)

Just having a little fun myself; it fits right in... most sdn threads/topics/comments turn into that...

And your spelling smack should go over well (though I agree with you on that point...spelling is a lost aqrt on the internet (informal or not)

Haha, he called me an arrogant know-it-all jerk! After that comment, the "your" was just sitting there, TEMPTING me. I couldn't resist. It fit perfectly.

I'm not acting like I know about the profession, just spewing facts (from multiple sources, mind you!) that are easily obtainable from the internet. This whole argument started because emedpa told someone that it was "easy" to make 100k as a PA. All I'm looking for is for someone to acknowledge the fact that it is, indeed, NOT easy for a PA to make 100k (or alternatively, over 50% of PAs cannot accomplish something easy to make more money). That's all.

My "criticism" has been constructive, as I've provided citations for all my assertions and I am merely trying to help the OP in his/her pursuit. Your criticism is of me, and does not help the OP in any way. I take the MCAT on Thursday, so studying those topics at this point is probably moot. I also find it comical that you instruct me that I could not possibly know about salary info for PAs as much as you do (I don't know why you brought up DO and told me I don't know much about it....), but then turn around and seemingly pretend to know my life (dentistry, studying more, etc etc) than I do! By all means, give me feedback on my life - I welcome it! But, when you give me feedback something I am truly more of an expert on (my life) right after telling me I could not possibly know about salary info on PAs (and DOs...), it is a bit hypocritical.

In terms of you refuting all the data I have provided, you suggest that not many people would tell anyone what they make. That doesn't mean the numbers are inaccurate, that just means the sampling pool was potentially smaller. If you had said, "I have statistically based information that the wealthiest PAs refuse to complete surveys, and share their income data with anyone." Then I would concede, and suggest that perhaps more than 50% of PAs make >100k.

Again, all I'm looking for here is for someone to tell me that the "easy" post was wrong and misleading.

To the bolded #1-Seems like either you have an ego and want to be right or ??? because no PA will tell you what you want to hear. So confirm my guess-Your a 20ish year old kid that has had an easy life? Enlighten me.....

To bolded #2-Lol. I brought it up basically because you start(or help to keep egging it on) trouble in multiple forums. You either picked to :
1.)Not become a Physician(M.D./D.O.), a Dentist(so you say now) or a MLP and seem to look down on aspects of other professions.
2.)You keep flaming the fire in the D.O. discrimination post is why I said that it, seems like you do that in multiple forums.(I was reading those post until it went into the pisser).

PS-As far as your life I could care less. I wish you would go to the DPM forum and comment there because I would agree many of us don't want you in this forum.

So sorry if my English ain't(yep I said it) up to your level oooo so smart one lol

Last edited:
To the bolded #1-Seems like either you have an ego and want to be right or ??? because no PA will tell you what you want to hear. So confirm my guess-Your a 20ish year old kid that has had an easy life? Enlighten me.....

To bolded #2-Lol. I brought it up basically because you start(or help to keep egging it on) trouble in multiple forums. You either picked to :
1.)Not become a Physician(M.D./D.O.), a Dentist(so you say now) or a MLP and seem to look down on aspects of other professions.
2.)You keep flaming the fire in the D.O. discrimination post is why I said that it, seems like you do that in multiple forums.(I was reading those post until it went into the pisser).

PS-As far as your life I could care less. I wish you would go to the DPM forum and comment there because I would agree many of us don't want you in this forum.

So sorry if my English ain't(yep I said it) up to your level oooo so smart one lol

Dude, if you want me to leave, you can't keep coming at me!

Your bolded 1: I mean... I want people to concede that I'm right, because I have provided evidence that suggests I am, whereas all you have is circumstantial anecdotes. I honestly am only engaging in this because I don't want the OP to think 100k in the PA field is a piece of cake. So, yeah, it's less about "wanting" to be right, but more about you realizing it. :D

Your bolded 2: I'm not egging or starting any problems. I didn't say "easily" and I'm only still here because people are still engaging me and trying to strike me down.
1. I don't know where you got that idea, I'm planning on pod school... you know, the school where people with a 3.0, 20 MCAT get in.... I don't think I have any position to "look down" on any other fields, and I honestly (for real), don't know where you came up with that notion. Look through all my posts if you want, you won't find it. I promise!
2. That was a different thread, and so I don't know why you're bringing it up to use in this thread. And regards to that thread, I don't think I was flaming. Again, if you read carefully in that thread, I repeated myself (cause seriously, no one seemed to understand it) multiple times that I don't have a problem with DOs. But real talk, the title of the thread was "DO Discrimination." What did you think was going to happen in that thread? (again, that was a comment, I wasn't flaming in that thread, go back and read my posts).

Your PS: Okay, well if you couldn't care less, then why did you comment on it? (I don't mind that you did, I welcome suggestions!). I don't know why you want me to leave? I'm really not flaming, I was under the assumption we were engaging in a lively discussion. I really don't mean to sound derogatory when I say this, but you really do sound defeated and that is why you are turning to name-calling and childish remarks.

Fix the mistakes above that can be an assignment for you to keep busy :) I noticed a few just from a distance lol.

Dude, if you want me to leave, you can't keep coming at me!

Your bolded 1: I mean... I want people to concede that I'm right, because I have provided evidence that suggests I am, whereas all you have is circumstantial anecdotes. I honestly am only engaging in this because I don't want the OP to think 100k in the PA field is a piece of cake. So, yeah, it's less about "wanting" to be right, but more about you realizing it. :D

Your bolded 2: I'm not egging or starting any problems. I didn't say "easily" and I'm only still here because people are still engaging me and trying to strike me down.
1. I don't know where you got that idea, I'm planning on pod school... you know, the school where people with a 3.0, 20 MCAT get in.... I don't think I have any position to "look down" on any other fields, and I honestly (for real), don't know where you came up with that notion. Look through all my posts if you want, you won't find it. I promise!
2. That was a different thread, and so I don't know why you're bringing it up to use in this thread. And regards to that thread, I don't think I was flaming. Again, if you read carefully in that thread, I repeated myself (cause seriously, no one seemed to understand it) multiple times that I don't have a problem with DOs. But real talk, the title of the thread was "DO Discrimination." What did you think was going to happen in that thread? (again, that was a comment, I wasn't flaming in that thread, go back and read my posts).

Your PS: Okay, well if you couldn't care less, then why did you comment on it? (I don't mind that you did, I welcome suggestions!). I don't know why you want me to leave? I'm really not flaming, I was under the assumption we were engaging in a lively discussion. I really don't mean to sound derogatory when I say this, but you really do sound defeated and that is why you are turning to name-calling and childish remarks.[/QUOTE]

Haven't called you a name at all but stating what I see based on previous post(arrogance).
For example post 220 in the D.O. discrimination posts. D.O.s can do more than OMM and yet you would make a comment like that. Also there are some M.D.s that can do basic OMM as well (there is one residency up North that teaches them some of the basics.)

And to be blunt, I am a jerk no questions asked. Will I help any patient/person that needs it. Yep with all I got.

It's just something about kids that have no real life experience in certain situations spouting off like they know whats going on in other professions (Have you noticed I have not said anything about DPMs because I know nothing about the profession.)

EDIT-If I am wrong about the bolded part I will be the FIRST to apologize. Also the know it all comment is part of what your potraying to me currently. Now if I blatantly called you an idiot or a dumxxxx then I would say yes that its immature name calling at its worst.

Last edited:
By your own site, you must demonstrate a huge hardship to get a waiver out of that debt. Just defaulting doesn't work for any average person. It is incredibly difficult to qualify.

I could be wrong, but I thought defaulting means you are unable to make the payments on your loan. I realize student debt doesn't disappear, but I was under the impression that defaulting just meant you can't pay?

Thanks for clarifying. Not to hijack the thread, but would you strongly advise someone who doesn't want to work in primary care against attending an NP program? Are positions for NP's to work in the ER, surgery, cardiology, etc. really that few and far between?

Also, just out of curiosity, why would a hospital/group preferentially hire a PA over an ACNP for one of the above positions? Is it largely a political maneuver?

For EM, the ACNP is not a good fit, cause they can't see kids, this is a problem.
EM needs to see all ages. ACNP is great in MICU/SICU, but the peds limitation is a problem for EM.

I've worked in an administrative position in EM, and have hired both. We preferentially select FNP's for EM cause they can see all ages. Unless the ACNP has a PNP or FNP as well.

For EM, the ACNP is not a good fit, cause they can't see kids, this is a problem.
EM needs to see all ages. ACNP is great in MICU/SICU, but the peds limitation is a problem for EM.

I've worked in an administrative position in EM, and have hired both. We preferentially select FNP's for EM cause they can see all ages. Unless the ACNP has a PNP or FNP as well.

Very true. My first job tried to circumvent this by having other providers see the kiddos but in the end the acnp was let go and I replaced her.

So if it isn't really feasible for an ACNP to work in an ER, I'm guessing most of them tend to work in acute care (e.g., "ACE") clinics? Generally speaking, what would be the most versatile NP specialization to pursue?