podiatry vs. dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocAnne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is easier to get into dental school, or podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if it is easier to get into dental school, or podiatry school?
Are you interested in both? or you just want to go for the easier one. Do whatever will make you happy. Don't settle for the easier one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have more interest in Dentistry...I got rejected this cycle. I have a 3.44 science GPA, and 3.68 overall. My DAT score had averages for the sciences, but my perceptual was 16 and the math was 12 (yikes...). I have spent almost all of my savings and stayed an extra year of undergrad in hopes of getting into dental school.

The reason I considered podiatry was because it seemed comparable in the type of lifestyle/hours of working/specialized field. I am not sure whether I should cut my losses for dental and pursue alternate fields, or take the DAT a second time and try to change my study strategies. I have worked as a dental assistant for the past two years, so I know I love the health care field. I like a lot of patient interaction, and want something where I can have ongoing doctor-patient relationships. If podiatry was more doable given my GPA and test taking abilities, I thought maybe I should be smart and think about going into that.

Seriously, don't reconcile with podiatry. Shadow a pod and see if you like it, if you do, great! If you don't, stick with dentistry. Don't just choose it because it is "easier" to get into though.

I have chosen it because it is what I like, not cause I couldn't get in.

DocAnne its your life, so do whatever it is that YOU want to do. I understand your frustration. I know its easier said than done to continue to pursue your dream when its pursuit is draining you financially and spiritually. You should definitely shadow a pod to see if you actually like it and go from there. Best of luck to you! :)

DocAnne,

Sorry if my previous comment came across as being cross. I did not mean it to have that tone. I just want you to be happy with your choice of profession. Good luck with your endeavors! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! Its been a difficult time for me, because any of these options ARE big investments, and its important for both the doctor AND the field that one's heart be in the right place.

pacpod, no offense taken...I understand what you are saying completely. No one should go into something for the wrong reason. I have always had my focus narrowly resting on dentistry. With all that has happened in my dental attempts thus far, now is when I have started thinking of different possibilities for things that I could get into, enjoy, and excel in. I think it would be a good idea for me to shadow in podiatry.

My initial question...is podiatry easier to get into than dental was meant to be as a springboard for me to do further research and learn more about the career. If podiatry is harder than dental, then I do not think it would be in my best interests financially, time-wise, or mentally to switch routes only to face even greater risk in applying. From what I have learned so far, podiatry sounds VERY rigorous in its schooling, but rewarding as a career.

Also, I am an avid runner and I think my interest in fitness would coincide nicely with podiatry. I bought a book last summer written by a podiatrist all about different foot injuries with sports and exercise...it was fascinating.

From what I have learned so far, podiatry sounds VERY rigorous in its schooling,

okay, now you are just messing with us. If podiatry school is "very rigorous" then most allopathic schools must be a combination of SEAL training, getting a PHD in quantam physics from MIT while working fulltime as an actuary for a Risk Management firm specializing in high profile clients, along with raising 4 kids and coaching baseball, soccer and T-ball, all while hurrying up to watch all 5 & 2/3 seasons of LOST before the series finale in May.

Last edited:
okay, now you are just messing with us. If podiatry school is "very rigorous" then most allopathic schools must be a combination of SEAL training, getting a PHD in quantam physics from MIT while working fulltime as an actuary for a Risk Management firm specializing in high profile clients, along with raising 4 kids and coaching baseball, soccer and T-ball, all while hurrying up to watch all 5 & 2/3 seasons of LOST before the series finale in May.

Are you serious right now ?? come on give it a break just this once... Pod does compare you out of all people should know that based on where you go to school...

?

airbud, I dont understand your comment? pod school isn't hard...is that what you are saying?

---

Last edited:
what are you saying ?? who said any of that ... and if it helps i just actually found out that no student in any class has a 4.0 ... and there is no student in the current classes that will attain the honor of Summa cum laude by graduation... may be magna... they dont play here at ny

airbud, I dont understand your comment? pod school isn't hard...is that what you are saying?

Deep down air bud knows podiatry school is challenging and very comparable to traditional medical school (MD/DO). He is usually pretty entertaining with his combo of wit and sarcasm but this time around it just didnt make sense and I think he lost some people. Not really a big deal...

Not to let you down but with those scores i would assume you wont get into dental school. There were many people at my undergrad with 3.6+ and better DATs who didn't get in and my undergrad had a dental school. It is very competitive to get into dental now. Podiatry on the other hand is very easy to get into. And though it is easy to get into podiatry school it is difficult to excel. If you want to do well it takes a tremendous amount of work. Though, if you simply want to pass and get B's it takes much less effort. Many students who get into podiatry school will never graduate and even some who do graduate wont be good enough to receive a residency spot. Shadow a podiatrist, go on some interviews and see what you think. The podiatry application process tends to be much less stressful and costly then dental. good luck!

Not to let you down but with those scores i would assume you wont get into dental school. There were many people at my undergrad with 3.6+ and better DATs who didn't get in and my undergrad had a dental school. It is very competitive to get into dental now. Podiatry on the other hand is very easy to get into. And though it is easy to get into podiatry school it is difficult to excel. If you want to do well it takes a tremendous amount of work. Though, if you simply want to pass and get B's it takes much less effort. Many students who get into podiatry school will never graduate and even some who do graduate wont be good enough to receive a residency spot. Shadow a podiatrist, go on some interviews and see what you think. The podiatry application process tends to be much less stressful and costly then dental. good luck!

Yes there is a residency shortage. Things may or may not get better with that. Everybody has their assumptions on whats going on and everyone loves to quote stats to argue their points. The fact remains that the problem is multifaceted and there is no quick solution. It's def the profession's fault for not having enough space for new graduates but, from what I have read on here, the STUDENTS are equally at fault for making very bad decisions during the match process.

Yes there is a residency shortage. Things may or may not get better with that. Everybody has their assumptions on whats going on and everyone loves to quote stats to argue their points. The fact remains that the problem is multifaceted and there is no quick solution. It's def the profession's fault for not having enough space for new graduates but, from what I have read on here, the STUDENTS are equally at fault for making very bad decisions during the match process.

There is a shortage of residency spots this year. No matter what some people are screwed. I dont think its their fault, unless they didnt pass their boards.

i am all for getting off topic, but do we really need to redo this residency argument here?

The point I was trying to make is that people come onto these boards and cry about how the field has failed them since they didn't match; but ultimately (after further questioning) we find out that they made some fatal mistake in their decision making during the match process.

Sure there is a shortage but if you don't make sound, logical decisions during the match process anyone can strikeout.

technically there is only a residency shortage for those not qualified. give 100% effort and you're guaranteed a residency. without a doubt. if you dont deserve one you wont get one, even if there are open ones they wont take you.