Podiatry White Coat Investors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never met a person who quotes Dave Ramsey that actually has money.
Why you hatin on GROWTH STOCK MUTUAL FUNDS?
...just bcuz there are them new-fangled ETFs now? Just because "12 percent returns" isn't easy (most years) as Dave says it is to all radio callers? :)

DR is good entertainment and good stuff for living reasonable and priorities for getting out of debt. He presents that stuff well and makes people laugh, but he makes no sense for the investing/growth... probably many other better sources for that than his company's "preferred investing contacts," "preferred providers," etc (aka pay to play / kickback). That is the end game of pastor Dave and WCI and Rich Dad and numerous YouTubers and basically all of that financial advice space: they make a name for their site/book with some decent blanket advice... and then just recommend the realtors, insurances, CPAs, CFPs, mortgage companies, seminars, etc etc that will pay them and advertise with them. The advice on the sites or books or YT isn't necessarily bad, but they will put their name on endorsing basically whatever PAYS. That ad revenue and "preferred" and "vetted" nonsense is how they try to mainly make their money.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
65% bitcoin
20% ether
5% binance coin
10% others
solid choices. Buy cardano though. Its going to have a monster run in 2022 with projects finally launching and their DeFi launching. More projects launching means more people will need to buy ADA to get access to these new projects launching. This will rocket the price of ADA. See the Avalanche chart (AVAX). Price increased significantly once DeFi went live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dave Ramsey was a life changer for me. I became debt free, stopped the $550 per month auto lease payments, stopped borrowing money, and my net worth has soared compared to pre Dave. Tried and true biblical based financial advice, nothing fancy, just simple and it works. The guy has been a game changer for many Americans who otherwise would be in debt to their eyeballs, with depreciating cars they can't afford, living paycheck to paycheck. He has performed the largest study ever done of millionaires, and teaches what he learned from this in a way that gets through to people.

I've never used any of his preferred providers, but I have no problem with them paying for advertising on his show. At least they aren't trial lawyers who are on every city bus, billboard, and tv and radio commercial and file baseless lawsuits against us for an easy 10k settlement, or car dealers who rip people off and encourage them to go deeper into debt for things they can't afford. Usually they are companies like term life agents (instead of whole life rip off), time share exit team (instead of time share rip off), and bed sheets and window blinds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dave Ramsey was a life changer for me. I became debt free, stopped the $550 per month auto lease payments, stopped borrowing money, and my net worth has soared compared to pre Dave. Tried and true biblical based financial advice, nothing fancy, just simple and it works. The guy has been a game changer for many Americans who otherwise would be in debt to their eyeballs, with depreciating cars they can't afford, living paycheck to paycheck. He has performed the largest study ever done of millionaires, and teaches what he learned from this in a way that gets through to people....
Yes. I concur... it is not bad stuff at all on the frugality and discipline and budgeting part. I would say he is good and pretty funny at doing it. Dave or similar is basically a retread/repack of Zig Ziglar and Jim Rohn who preached lowering fixed costs, developing savings and regular investing... which themselves were remakes of Richest Man in Babylon and other prior teachings. The "live beneath your means," "keep something for a rainy day," "make hay while the sun is shining," etc advice is always needed. It should be in all languages and all places. It has to be reshaped and re-sold again in order for a new generation to understand it. I don't know if it needs to hold onto the religious/faith/chursh aspects since that tends to almost lose more eyeballs than it gains in this day in age, but however it works and however people will stop buying vacations or clothing and jewelry on credit cards and needing 6-12+ month to pay them off, then I support it.

I agree Dave or similar are quite useful for actually stopping the hemorrhage of cash, overuse of credit, etc that causes most people to be check-to-check (or worse). Dave was touted to me by a personal friend with Ivy MBA (smart dude, makes more than most DPMs) who was going through bankruptcy at the time since he had always been into fancy cars and parts and racetrack mods... and buying basically every watch and gadget and outfit you see in GQ mag and think "who TF can afford that?" I had heard of him on YouTube a bit, but I read Dave's main book and liked it. Rich Dad is another one that makes you think of if in terms of which of your purchases just disappear (food/entertainment/discretionary), which continue to cost you even after you buy them (car, memberships, house you live in, etc), or will actually produce for you (stocks/bonds, entrepreneur, rental RE, etc). Everyone needs that motivation and that "why" to change their habits and make budgets first and foremost. That is the obvious yet tough first step (WCI calls it "live like a resident") which the vast majority of people can never get past (and most docs with money problems are stopped there also). I know pleeeenty of DPMs who bought a new house and a Beemer right out of residency... others had eclipsed $500k in student + credit card debt even before finishing residency. Those are the ones I hesitate to even give job tips to since they just tell me, "it doesn't pay enough" no matter what the base/bonus. They had started the doctor lifestyle early and aggressive. It doesn't matter at all if somebody knows the best stock picks or the advantages of various types of stock accounts or where the real estate will boom if their money is all spoken for in lease, credit card interest, mall money, gambling, etc.

After that getting initial stability with debt shrinking and a bit of savings (Dave "baby steps" if I recall), the Ramsey books/message have done their job, though. I don't think they're at all helpful after that. Growing wealth and investing (thread idea) is much more complicated than the "growth stock mutual funds 12% returns" way he over-simplifies it again and again. To be fair, he is talking/writing largely to average broke people who lean on credit cards to get by, shouldn't buy a house, would start to lose their lifestyle level almost immediately with a lost job, might not even have the cash saved for a basic car or health expense, etc. I assume he is glossing over the subject of actual market investing since he doesn't know much, knows investing or home mortgage doesn't apply for they at the present time, and wants to mainly stay in his lane.

In reality, the 12% he makes sound to be standard expected return is very hard to find consistently. Many books by much wiser and wealthier men than Dave can barely scratch the surface of AA and stock picks and options and etc... and sure won't pretend it is easy in the medium/long term. Some funds might come close... but they will usually have heavy fees that negate a lot of gains or minimum investment marks that none of us can do. Most RE won't do that rate without substantial risk, and stocks and funds that might get you 12% in a normal year are probably sectors or singles that might struggle to match the overall 7-8% market in most others (2020 or 08/09 etc when you could buy basically anything doesn't really count, lol). Investing is just incredibly complex and individual... the books owned, AA, strategy, timeline, risk taking, etc is different for everyone. Many do the basic Bogle index thing and buy a house to live in, some do Dalio/Robbins or some published strategy, some pick singles, some might buy all Berkshire or Blackstone, a few do their practice/RE with few/no stock/funds, some might do whatever their CPA or buddy or whoever says, most do their own mix. It is cool to see what people are trying in here.

Basically, I don't think we're in any disagreement that Dave is generally good info and well presented... just that saving/budget is a far cry from growth/invest. His wheelhouse is 99% the former.. the latter he is fully touch-and-go and expects his readers/listeners who reach the point of climbing out of debt and having money to invest to go elsewhere (hopefully to his sponsors).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I concur... it is not bad stuff at all on the frugality and discipline and budgeting part. I would say he is good and pretty funny at doing it. Dave or similar is basically a retread/repack of Zig Ziglar and Jim Rohn who preached lowering fixed costs, developing savings and regular investing... which themselves were remakes of Richest Man in Babylon and other prior teachings. The "live beneath your means," "keep something for a rainy day," "make hay while the sun is shining," etc advice is always needed. It should be in all languages and all places. It has to be reshaped and re-sold again in order for a new generation to understand it. I don't know if it needs to hold onto the religious/faith/chursh aspects since that tends to almost lose more eyeballs than it gains in this day in age, but however it works and however people will stop buying vacations or clothing and jewelry on credit cards and needing 6-12+ month to pay them off, then I support it.

I agree Dave or similar are quite useful for actually stopping the hemorrhage of cash, overuse of credit, etc that causes most people to be check-to-check (or worse). Dave was touted to me by a personal friend with Ivy MBA (smart dude, makes more than most DPMs) who was going through bankruptcy at the time since he had always been into fancy cars and parts and racetrack mods... and buying basically every watch and gadget and outfit you see in GQ mag and think "who TF can afford that?" I had heard of him on YouTube a bit, but I read Dave's main book and liked it. Rich Dad is another one that makes you think of if in terms of which of your purchases just disappear (food/entertainment/discretionary), which continue to cost you even after you buy them (car, memberships, house you live in, etc), or will actually produce for you (stocks/bonds, entrepreneur, rental RE, etc). Everyone needs that motivation and that "why" to change their habits and make budgets first and foremost. That is the obvious yet tough first step (WCI calls it "live like a resident") which the vast majority of people can never get past (and most docs with money problems are stopped there also). I know pleeeenty of DPMs who bought a new house and a Beemer right out of residency... others had eclipsed $500k in student + credit card debt even before finishing residency. Those are the ones I hesitate to even give job tips to since they just tell me, "it doesn't pay enough" no matter what the base/bonus. They had started the doctor lifestyle early and aggressive. It doesn't matter at all if somebody knows the best stock picks or the advantages of various types of stock accounts or where the real estate will boom if their money is all spoken for in lease, credit card interest, mall money, gambling, etc.

After that getting initial stability with debt shrinking and a bit of savings (Dave "baby steps" if I recall), the Ramsey books/message have done their job, though. I don't think they're at all helpful after that. Growing wealth and investing (thread idea) is much more complicated than the "growth stock mutual funds 12% returns" way he over-simplifies it again and again. To be fair, he is talking/writing largely to average broke people who lean on credit cards to get by, shouldn't buy a house, would start to lose their lifestyle level almost immediately with a lost job, might not even have the cash saved for a basic car or health expense, etc. I assume he is glossing over the subject of actual market investing since he doesn't know much, knows investing or home mortgage doesn't apply for they at the present time, and wants to mainly stay in his lane.

In reality, the 12% he makes sound to be standard expected return is very hard to find consistently. Many books by much wiser and wealthier men than Dave can barely scratch the surface of AA and stock picks and options and etc... and sure won't pretend it is easy in the medium/long term. Some funds might come close... but they will usually have heavy fees that negate a lot of gains or minimum investment marks that none of us can do. Most RE won't do that rate without substantial risk, and stocks and funds that might get you 12% in a normal year are probably sectors or singles that might struggle to match the overall 7-8% market in most others (2020 or 08/09 etc when you could buy basically anything doesn't really count, lol). Investing is just incredibly complex and individual... the books owned, AA, strategy, timeline, risk taking, etc is different for everyone. Many do the basic Bogle index thing and buy a house to live in, some do Dalio/Robbins or some published strategy, some pick singles, some might buy all Berkshire or Blackstone, a few do their practice/RE with few/no stock/funds, some might do whatever their CPA or buddy or whoever says, most do their own mix. It is cool to see what people are trying in here.

Basically, I don't think we're in any disagreement that Dave is generally good info and well presented... just that saving/budget is a far cry from growth/invest. His wheelhouse is 99% the former.. the latter he is fully touch-and-go and expects his readers/listeners who reach the point of climbing out of debt and having money to invest to go elsewhere (hopefully to his sponsors).
Great post.

I will say buying a home out of residency was one of the best financial decisions I have ever made
But I have a stable job and I knew I would like the area/not want to leave (I did wait a little over a year to feel more secure).
I've made more in home equity than the stock market index fund. Lucky purchase at lucky time perhaps.
Instead of monthly rent I pay off a mortgage.
Otherwise I totally agree.

I have RIchest man in Babylon and Rich dad/Poor dad on my nightstand. Been sitting there >1 year. Maybe I should actually read them!

(Also, I drove my rusty old car to the grave. Bought a newer vehicle last year. I kind of miss seeing my rust bucket of a vehicle sitting in the doctors parking lot at the hospital!)

Reactions: 2 users
...I will say buying a home out of residency was one of the best financial decisions I have ever made
But I have a stable job and I knew I would like the area/not want to leave (I did wait a little over a year to feel more secure)...
Yeah, that's the way to do it: assure the job/area are good, not overspend, plan to be in the area awhile (preferably owner or no non-compete), etc. Nothing wrong with buying a house if you have the stability and the money.

I should've been clearer: I think a lot of people just buy a 'home' immediately out of training for the wrong reasons while they're still in a lot of student debt and don't even have a handle on their monthly budget and cash flow. They say "cheaper than renting," "no good rentals that I liked," "houses always go up in price," "family will grow so I just bought the big enough house now." They fail to realize that the times that are worst to sell houses (econ crash, lost their job, etc) are often the times they will have to sell. The times that are best to sell houses (boom, bubble) are times they will just have to take out an even bigger mortgage to buy another one and pay movers also.

There are good reasons and bad reasons to buy anything I suppose. Buying a house definitely creates a forced savings plan, which is always good for credit. Peter Lynch's best book and legendary stock pick bible (1 up) has a whole chapter on how houses nearly always go up on the medium/long term, so even a guy who killed it in the NYSE thinks it should be a consideration for anyone who doesn't already own a house to do that before hashing out significant stock market money.

Barring drugs or gambling or something, I don't think any one thing is usually financially damning for the new grads in and of itself. Leasing an Escalade or buying a 5br house despite only having a household of two or even taking 6 vacations per year aren't immediately crippling. Doing all of them together and mentally subscribing to the YOLO lifestyle tends to be the coup de grace... bcuz boy do nice cars look better taking out hot dates to expensive concerts and parking in big garages... and those garages attached to big houses need some ATVs or parties or random stuff to fill them up properly, lol.

My first house out of residency was 65k....me, my wife, 3 huskys and a potbelly pig living in 800sq feet. Thst was fun. Kansas was not. Hard to not let lifestyle creep happen from this starting point.

2nd house made 30 percent on in 3 years. Current house value up 25 percent in one year. And I am not in California, Austin, PHX Denver etc....

Can't last forever I know but last few years have been good. First house cost 65k, 2nd 165k, current 410 (bought empty lot next to so add 140k).

Drove a new Tacoma for a few years, traded in for a new Raptor. Beat the crap out of hit driving 70mph through the desert/mountains for 2 years, put 50k miles on it. Sold back to dealer for 4k less than I paid. Honest that is my best investment to date. Fun to cost ratio off the charts. Traded on for 2011 f150 110k miles. Gets the job done. Waiting for 3rd gen raptor to be available. Other car is 2017 Subaru.

Have always yearly maxed out 401k, Roth IRA, HSA, 457b. No more 457b, had to liquidate when left last employer so used that for down payment on empty lot.

As my income goes up, will still max stuff out but I don't think will do a taxable account for awhile, would rather do other things with that money. Reading/Learning about self storage, laundromats and other cash flow businesses. Screw single family homes, too much competition for multifamily small apts. Eventually will extend to real estate via crowdfunding as some that shakes out.

Wish I would have kept my money in Cardano like @CutsWithFury told me. He reminds me of this constantly. At least doesn't hurt as much at 1.40 as it did at 2.80.

Last edited:
(Also, I drove my rusty old car to the grave. Bought a newer vehicle last year. I kind of miss seeing my rust bucket of a vehicle sitting in the doctors parking lot at the hospital!)
Nothing makes me laugh harder when I park my rust bucket 12yo sedan next to tesla, porsche, mercs in the lot. I noticed someone double glance at my waist walking away from my car to see if I had a "doctor's badge" on.

When i was house shopping, a sellers agent saw my car and said... "you plan on upgrading that before you buy a REAL house, right?"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Merry Christmas all!
1640461075049.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody do automated investing with any of the major brokerages for their IRA, 401K etc? I am heavy into crypto and a colleague I invest with recommended betterment's automated investing options which have different funds you can invest in. I am looking at their innovative technology fund.

It is very interesting.

Anybody do automated investing with any of the major brokerages for their IRA, 401K etc? I am heavy into crypto and a colleague I invest with recommended betterment's automated investing options which have different funds you can invest in. I am looking at their innovative technology fund.

It is very interesting.
plenty of similar ETFs out there, I don't see why you want to pay for their automated version of it.

also, put a few k into URA today...
Took a huge dip after you bought (I blame that on you...). But its really coming back. Especially UUUU. I hope you held.
This energy crisis is going to make these stocks interesting. There is not enough uranium to go around as is. If Europe starts building more nuclear plants buckle up.

Took a huge dip after you bought (I blame that on you...). But its really coming back. Especially UUUU. I hope you held.
This energy crisis is going to make these stocks interesting. There is not enough uranium to go around as is. If Europe starts building more nuclear plants buckle up.
Trust me I know it dropped....but holding strong

Bought a modest house at the beginning of podiatry school with cash for 120k (sugar momma savings). Got lucky with the housing market when moving for residency and sold it for 215k. Bought again for residency with cash about 20k over list price for 240k and just sold it not even a year later for 325k. We are planning to rent until after residency and put our profits in the market after paying off her undergrad loans which are about 15k. Neither of us have a lot of experience with it aside from our 401ks, Roth IRAs and small personal investment accounts, so planning to get a CFP to help at first. Playing the PSLF game with my loans at the moment incase I end up signing on with my hospital after residency or end up somewhere that qualifies. If not will probably pay off loans in full right after and open a practice with a couple of my good buddies from school who are at great programs for training.

Reactions: 1 users
Bought a modest house at the beginning of podiatry school with cash for 120k (sugar momma savings). Got lucky with the housing market when moving for residency and sold it for 215k. Bought again for residency with cash about 20k over list price for 240k and just sold it not even a year later for 325k. We are planning to rent until after residency and put our profits in the market after paying off her undergrad loans which are about 15k. Neither of us have a lot of experience with it aside from our 401ks, Roth IRAs and small personal investment accounts, so planning to get a CFP to help at first. Playing the PSLF game with my loans at the moment incase I end up signing on with my hospital after residency or end up somewhere that qualifies. If not will probably pay off loans in full right after and open a practice with a couple of my good buddies from school who are at great programs for training.
Got lucky with the current housing market! Houses usually go up in value but could have easily gone down and been opposite.
Glad that worked out for you though. Thats significant starter income at your age.