point me in the right direction...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinaballerina16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so help me out here. i am planning on applying this coming spring but i expect some bumps along the way. my cum and bcpm gpa are both 3.1. however, this is due to a tumultous sophomore year when my father finally went to prison for domestic violence. needless to say school was the last thing on my mind (and i was still living at home at the time and commuting to uc davis). my freshman year and my junior both showed gpas of 3.3-3.4 so if i had just been consisent thats where my gpa would lie. it looks like i'll be able to maintain those grades this year as well.

i work part time (20-25) at the campus police department supervising and coordinating campus event security and hospitality. i work because i have to, since my mother cant support all of us anymore. i have done three clincal internships and will have 120 hours of experience after this quarter. i have done psychology experiments for almost a year now. i have also worked in a marine lab for two quarters caring for the marine specimens and even collecting specimens once a quarter.

i plan on taking the mcat in april (having already taken the p review this summer since i wouldnt have time with work and school) and my scores meandered around 30 plus/minus a point.

i realize my gpa poses a problem and so i'm wondering what my options are as far as schools to apply to. i will be out of school for a year during the application process and i plan on getting a job that will hopefully bolster my app. i appreciate any and all advice. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

tinaballerina16 said:
so help me out here. i am planning on applying this coming spring but i expect some bumps along the way. my cum and bcpm gpa are both 3.1. however, this is due to a tumultous sophomore year when my father finally went to prison for domestic violence. needless to say school was the last thing on my mind (and i was still living at home at the time and commuting to uc davis). my freshman year and my junior both showed gpas of 3.3-3.4 so if i had just been consisent thats where my gpa would lie. it looks like i'll be able to maintain those grades this year as well.

i work part time (20-25) at the campus police department supervising and coordinating campus event security and hospitality. i work because i have to, since my mother cant support all of us anymore. i have done three clincal internships and will have 120 hours of experience after this quarter. i have done psychology experiments for almost a year now. i have also worked in a marine lab for two quarters caring for the marine specimens and even collecting specimens once a quarter.

i plan on taking the mcat in april (having already taken the p review this summer since i wouldnt have time with work and school) and my scores meandered around 30 plus/minus a point.

i realize my gpa poses a problem and so i'm wondering what my options are as far as schools to apply to. i will be out of school for a year during the application process and i plan on getting a job that will hopefully bolster my app. i appreciate any and all advice. thanks.

First I would like to congratulate you for being a hard worker in the face of adversity. Surely this is not an easy thing, and you should definitely be commended for staying tough through your situation. As for your GPA, your personal statement is the perfect place to explain why it was low, and any compassionate person would understand your situation. And of course, speak about your experiences and extracurriculars and how they have made you a better person and affected you positively. I think you will be just fine and just try your best from here on out, and keep the past in the back of your mind, let it motivate you to work hard for success and your independence, and apply to a number of schools. I encourage you to never let go of your ambitions no matter what, and you are a stronger person than most because you have survived adversity.

i think you'll be able to get in somewhere, just finish up your senior year on a strong note.
a 3.1 is well below the national average for matriculants, but it is by no means too low to get in, and you have reasonable explanations for your soph. year grades. just hang in there, and be sure to aim for above a 30 on the mcat to make your app. stronger. good luck:)

tinaballerina16 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone should offer a realist's perspective. You've got a 3.1 in a state that admits kids with 3.6's and 30 something mcats. Your story is compelling but that will only take you so far. While I agree that you should not be discouraged ultimately I would suggest making a 2-3 year plan that involves strengthening your application with post bac etc and taking time off to really nail the MCAT. That's what I plan on doing and my stats are like yours. Good luck. Don't give up but don't ignore reality either.--Ben

It would truly be a shame if someone as dedicated and hardworking like you (if, that is, you are a real person) doesn't get in.

I agree with shaz, but unfortunetly you need the numbers to get in the door. I definitely recommend you try to do really well on the MCAT and you might want to consider DO schools as options.

thanks for all the replies. i do realize i have some work ahead of me and considering that medicine has always been my dream i am more than willing to work hard for it. thanks again!

You have done a solid job. Are you planning to only apply in CA? I would recommend kicking tail on the MCAT and writing a really solid PS.

also, apply smart... have a three tier plan: dream schools, schools you are competitive for, and 'sure things' (if there is a thing).