Pointers?

Started by ebasappa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ebasappa

Momma said knock you out.
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

It's another verbal thread. I really cant seem to up my score!! I have been following the sn2ed method, taking about 3 passages everyday in EK 101, and my scores are like this:

8, 7, 9, 10, 8, 9, 8 for tests 1-7 respectively.

I tried the full test #8 to test my pacing yesterday and ended up with 2 mins to spare and a score of 8 :scared:

I do great postgame analysis, I go through every question whether I get it right or wrong. I write a list of improvements needed to be made, and I STILL can't seem to increase my score.

Does anyone have any pointers for me? Perhaps I can at it through another method?
 
im using ek101 too and i noticed that some of the tests have passages with questions that are really close to one another which makes it tough. what i have been doing while reading is i mouth each of the words (i find i can better understand the passage), underline important ideas, and then move to the questions. i have been improving slightly, noticing that i get, on average, fewer questions wrong. for the questions i eliminate the answer choices that i know the author isnt talking about, because like is said in every verbal tip: you are supposed to only use the passage info. i feel this has been the most important part in getting the questions right. you really cant extrapolate otherwise it could lead you to a wrong answer, i mean unless the question specifically asks you to do it (i hate these types of questions usually take the longest time for me, but am still able to finish with about 5 min to spare).

my ek scores in order have been:
7 8 8 11 [10 9] 7 10 9 [10] 8 (scores in brackets are sources other than ek101 such as aamc and kaplan)
 
Hey everyone,

It's another verbal thread. I really cant seem to up my score!! I have been following the sn2ed method, taking about 3 passages everyday in EK 101, and my scores are like this:

8, 7, 9, 10, 8, 9, 8 for tests 1-7 respectively.

I tried the full test #8 to test my pacing yesterday and ended up with 2 mins to spare and a score of 8 :scared:

I do great postgame analysis, I go through every question whether I get it right or wrong. I write a list of improvements needed to be made, and I STILL can't seem to increase my score.

Does anyone have any pointers for me? Perhaps I can at it through another method?

1. What do you as you review questions? Walk me through an example two or three.
2. How long does your review take? (per exam)
 
1. What do you as you review questions? Walk me through an example two or three.
2. How long does your review take? (per exam)

1. id assume he reads the explanations to each answer and determine why he got it wrong or right if he wasnt 100% sure it was right.
2. it depends on what questions you are reviewing. if you know 100% why a choice is right and why the others aren't then you dont really need to review it, which makes the length of review irrelevant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. What do you as you review questions? Walk me through an example two or three.
2. How long does your review take? (per exam)

^^ kind of what shaboobly said.

1. If I get it right but wasn't really sure why, I would read the explanation and go through why the other one I was deciding on ( I can usually slim it down to two answers) was incorrect. If it was wrong, I would jab my pencil in my eye! Nah kidding haha. For those I would read the chunk of info. in the passage to see if I took it out of context and read the explanation as well. Then I would get a piece of paper and write bullet points that had tips on them to my self. Like " Always choose the answers with the least inferences! " or "Reoccurring problem: I take things out of context" etc.

2. I'm not going to lie, the review TIME is not all that long. On average PER exam I'd say my review is about an hour.
 
^^ kind of what shaboobly said.
2. I'm not going to lie, the review TIME is not all that long. On average PER exam I'd say my review is about an hour.

Hold up there, shirley. The section itself is an hour. Your review should average at least 1.5-2 times that. You seem to be active in your review technique from what you described earlier, but take it a step further. Do your technique for every question, regardless of right or wrong. Go through A/B/C/D and look up information in the passage that supports and contradicts it, write it down somewhere (or type it, whatever), and only then check if the facts you found match up with what the EK answer booklet tells you. Try this once or twice and see if it helps you more easily identify key words/phrases while you're taking your subsequent tests.
 
Hold up there, shirley. The section itself is an hour. Your review should average at least 1.5-2 times that. You seem to be active in your review technique from what you described earlier, but take it a step further. Do your technique for every question, regardless of right or wrong. Go through A/B/C/D and look up information in the passage that supports and contradicts it, write it down somewhere (or type it, whatever), and only then check if the facts you found match up with what the EK answer booklet tells you. Try this once or twice and see if it helps you more easily identify key words/phrases while you're taking your subsequent tests.

That sounds like a good idea to me! Thanks man, i'll def. try that out 👍