Poland Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sunny_1225

http://www.mdprogram.com/html/4yrmd/

Hi everyone,

My sister is interested in applying to medical school in Poland. She is thinking of applying there b/c her grades (in college) were pretty bad, and doesn't think there is any hope for her getting in anywhere here in the states.

The school states that they run on an american based program.

But still, I am hesitant to believe that she is able to get into a residency easily back here in the US once she has completed medical school in poland.

Is it possible to easily get licensed in the US once she finishes school over there?

Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

After I sent in my apps this summer I ran to Europe and I ran into an American girl (actually she was from Hawaii like me) who was in her 2nd year at a polish medical school because she couldn't get into anywhere in the US. We talked about it and it was pretty comparable but although all the textbooks are in English, you would still need to know how to speak polish especially for 3rd and 4th year rotations. As far as residency in America, any foreign school will most likely be looked upon with some disdain for the exact reason why your sister is going there (lower grades) and also uncertainty about the program because its jurisdiction does not lie under that same governing body for accreditation as the American schools. However getting good board scores would definitely help for residency and if she goes abroad that will be her saving grace. The logistics of getting proctors etc to take the boards although I'm sure is not uncommon I am just unable to even speculate how to get that done or if the polish schools schedule can accommodate the break time to study for The American test in her second year.

http://www.mdprogram.com/html/4yrmd/

Hi everyone,

My sister is interested in applying to medical school in Poland. She is thinking of applying there b/c her grades (in college) were pretty bad, and doesn't think there is any hope for her getting in anywhere here in the states.

The school states that they run on an american based program.

But still, I am hesitant to believe that she is able to get into a residency easily back here in the US once she has completed medical school in poland.

Is it possible to easily get licensed in the US once she finishes school over there?

Thanks a million.

depends on how bad is too bad...has she looked into DO programs...they are usually not stat-happy...and AComas also replace repeated grades instead of Averaging them like Amcas...has she taken the Mcat yet?? all hope isnt lost i dont believe...i know im just a premed..but still look at all the success stories of applicants with LESS than stellar Stats...

Members don't see this ad :)
While it is true that different situations indicate different choices with regard to which medical school to attend, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I'd recommend considering a US medical school first before going overseas.

The polish med schools are quite good, but it is still an inconvenience. I was accepted to some very good German medical schools. They even had rotations in the US if you wanted, but I realized the hassle of coming back was just a pain and I thought I'd give it a shot over here. They usually include a language component so you aren't lost during clinicals. There is another one in Prague, charles university, that is pretty respected as well. The major difference between those schools and the caribbean is that the caribbean caters more to american students and returning...You'll have students from scandanavian countries, england, etc. along with americans. As nice as it seems (and Krakow is really nice), I'd suggest looking and trying over here first. It is a long enough road. You can always find success stories, but no matter how confident you are, I would not automatically say I am going to be one of those stories. But hey...Poland has hot girls, cheap booze, and more consonants per word then you can shake a stick at.

Eh, if the GPA is sub 3.0 and MCAT around a 24 then go Osteopathic. I know a few people (including a cousin who is there) and while they like it, they'd have preferred sticking to doing med school within the country. If you don't want the DO initials, then go Europe.

You can but realize you'll have the same issues as the Caribeen medical students-- you are considered an international graduate and your degree will be considered inferior. My mother graduated from the Jagiellonian University in Krakow (we're Polish).....she's a great doc, but just know that its really hard to get good residency placements as a foreign grad. She did radiation oncology for 10 years in Poland....when we immigrated she had to switched to family practice.

before making a decision, she absolutely should speak to an american student who graduated from that school. contact the school to see if she can speak to a graduate who is doing their residency in the US. theyll be able to help her make the decision thats right for her. going to an international medical school is not easy, and there are many challenges to face. sometimes it might be easier to take the time to either do a post-bac or re-write the mcat.

I'm American born and come from a very Polish family (can't you tell from my alias?). Both of my parents graduated from medical school in Poland. My father was born in Poland and graduated from the school at the top of his class and is now a very successful cardiologist here in the states. My mother is American born and decided to do the Polish med school bit after having a lot of trouble getting into school here in the states. She's currently a happy internal medicine doc who has a lot of autonomy and a lot of flexibility in her job. They have a lot of friends and acquaintances who have gone the PL med school route and have come out successful, but as previous posters have noted, it still comes with its risks.

Some foreign med school programs have the option to do your first two years abroad with the option to transfer over to a US medical school on the condition of good board scores, grades, etc. We have a close family friend who started out at an Italian Medical school and came out as an ophthalmologist from a US med school. The key point is that you HAVE to perform well and play your cards right. The competitive residencies are already too much so without the additional burden of having to prove yourself over a decision to go abroad. My dad highly recommended shooting for only staying abroad for 2 years since basic science is similar across all medical schools, but US medical schools drastically distance themselves from the rest of the pack due to their incredible education in the 3rd and 4th year rotational years.

I've had to start considering this route as my own applications are running a little slow. Who knows, perhaps with the way that the US dollar is going and the impending massive changes to the US health care system in the next couple years, it might be advantageous to have graduated from an EU medical school and then try to do a residency in the US. If I'm not mistaken this would afford the option to practice not only in the US but also in the EU. I think this depends on EU citizenship, however. I'm a dual citizen and have that option, i think...

Poland is really an awesome place. The people are great and their economy is really booming, and it's beautiful. The thing you have to consider is do you really REALLY want to go for it at a foreign med school. As was stated earlier, the DO option may be better in the long run b.c you stay in the states. I have heard a lot of negative feedback, intra-medical-professional, when talking about the DO option to other docs. DOs are just given the upturned nose by a lot of MDs, which sucks - most DOs eventually go to a MD program for the residency. Additionally, there ARE easier ways to get involved with health care ( Physician Assistant, Nursing, etc. --- see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=482046 ).

Definitely get in touch with students already in those programs.

Best of luck with everything!

Poland is really an awesome place. The people are great and their economy is really booming, and it's beautiful.
Poland can be hard living. It's beautiful to visit, but can be a tough place to live. If I were the OP, I'd check with Americans who spent a year or more in Poland post-college (meaning, not education abroad) to see their thoughts. I loved it, but a whole lot of people had a tough time of it.
I have heard a lot of negative feedback, intra-medical-professional, when talking about the DO option to other docs. DOs are just given the upturned nose by a lot of MDs, which sucks - most DOs eventually go to a MD program for the residency.
You will come across many snobby doctors. Many doctors come from privilaged backgrounds and have a sense of entitlement. Many see being a physician as a power trip. Such is life. The sort of doctors who turn their nose up at DOs are exactly the sort of doctors who will also turn their nose up at international-graduate MDs.

There are many good reasons to study abroad to get your MD, but you will have more opportunities if you study medicine on US soil, even if you go osteopathic. You'd be wise to exhaust all options domestically before heading international.

You will come across many snobby doctors. Many doctors come from privilaged backgrounds and have a sense of entitlement. Many see being a physician as a power trip. Such is life. The sort of doctors who turn their nose up at DOs are exactly the sort of doctors who will also turn their nose up at international-graduate MDs.

There are many good reasons to study abroad to get your MD, but you will have more opportunities if you study medicine on US soil, even if you go osteopathic. You'd be wise to exhaust all options domestically before heading international.

Agreed.

Would also add that I know someone at a Poland program. He seems to like it, but has failed the USMLE step I twice. Now, it could be that this person does not fit with what the test is asking, or it could also be a reflection on the school. It does not seem like the school is doing much to help this person. There are definitely more resources availible stateside if you are in this unfortunite situation, and this might be an isolated incident. The bottom line is that it is easiest to practice medicine in the US if you go to medical school in the US, even as a DO. I know some DOs who chose to be DOs and could have gotten accepted at MD programs if they wanted to. I also know some great DOs and some crappy MDs, so try to get over the stigma :)

Would also add that I know someone at a Poland program. He seems to like it, but has failed the USMLE step I twice. Now, it could be that this person does not fit with what the test is asking, or it could also be a reflection on the school. It does not seem like the school is doing much to help this person. There are definitely more resources availible stateside if you are in this unfortunite situation, and this might be an isolated incident.
Medical school in the U.S. is incredibly hard to get into and also incredibly hard to get thrown out of. Med schools bend over backwards to make sure that everyone graduates in four years, five years as a last resort. This safety net completely disappears when you go outside the U.S. for a medical degree.