Poll: How many actual total Covid cases in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POLL: What do you think is the ACTUAL case number of Covid in the US

• Less than 500k

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • 500-750k

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • 750k - 1 million

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • 1-2 million

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • 2-5 million

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Greater than 5 million

Votes: 9 10.0%

• Total voters

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious what you guys think via quick poll. This includes those who are recovered already, the dead, currently active cases, and those undiagnosed yet (including asymptomatic carriers).

Members don't see this ad.

It's likely been circulating since mid January, which possibly accounts for the higher than average IFL Illnesses this year versus previous years. Easily the true numbers have been in the millions if 80% of infections are thought to mild or nearly asymptomatic.

Reactions: 1 user
Like, as of 0135am on Sunday CDT?
Yeah, we can assume a half mil

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious what you guys think via quick poll. This includes those who are recovered already, the dead, currently active cases, and those undiagnosed yet (including asymptomatic carriers).
As of this post, the JHU website indicates ~35,000 cases in US.

I will lean conservative but I assume we are an order of magnitude off.

So ~350,000.

I think the Colombia estimate of 11x reported cases is reasonable. So that's about 360k cases right now.

Looking back at the timeline, China had 830 cases when they shut down Wuhan. They ended up w/ 80k (67k in Hubei). If you extrapolate this to our country, we end up w/ 35 million cases. But that was w/ far stricter controls than anything we'll be capable of enforcing.

Reactions: 1 users
I say 35,000 (reported) times a factor of 6 = 210,000 cases, and rising. At least that's what they estimated in China (Science), 86 undetected cases for each 14 positive tests, or a factor of 6:1.

Last edited:
I guess i'm surprised if the total cases break a million since that seems really high.

One million would be great. At 1% fatality, that's only 10,000 deaths. That would be considered a victory when compared to the doomsday scenarios pushed out be the experts.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the Colombia estimate of 11x reported cases is reasonable. So that's about 360k cases right now.

Looking back at the timeline, China had 830 cases when they shut down Wuhan. They ended up w/ 80k (67k in Hubei). If you extrapolate this to our country, we end up w/ 35 million cases. But that was w/ far stricter controls than anything we'll be capable of enforcing.

Yea I was reading about how China and S Korea kept things under control and they did things that I doubt would work well here in freedom-lovin’ USA

I guess i'm surprised if the total cases break a million since that seems really high.

Influenza outbreaks are around 10-20% of the population so I wouldn’t be surprised if it reached that percentage or around 30,000,000 total, although I expect the exponential growth will stop in 4-5 weeks and new cases will continue at lower levels.

I say 35,000 (reported) times a factor of 6 = 210,000 cases, and rising. At least that's what they estimated in China (Science), 86 undetected cases for each 14 positive tests, or a factor of 6:1.
My prediction: Total US confirmed cases will level off between 250,000 and 750,000, with between 3,000 and 9,000 American deaths, at the end of this COVID-19 pandemic. Our response will prove successful and due to that response, we'll fall far short of the dire predictions of 1.6 million or 2.2 million American deaths.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of the "large percent mild or asymptomatic" just based on the anecdotes of healthcare workers in heavily affected areas falling sick at a high rate. If this thing was really subclinical most of the time, you'd expect just one or two physicians or nurses in a given facility to fall sick, yet it seems to be really smashing them in Italy.

Reactions: 2 users

We're still way behind on the testing and deaths are just ramping up. Unfortunately, I think we're in the early stages of this. I think there are a lot of COVID casualties hidden under the ICD-10 codes "Influenza", "Pneumonia", and "Respiratory Arrest".

Times a factor of 6 would be way too low, IMO. I am discharging 95% of these patients without any testing, and most of them almost definitively have it. I am seeing more COVID patients than any other complaint combined as of 3 days ago. The ones that are getting tested are frequently taking up to a week for the test to result. You have to factor in that probably 80% of people that have it probably haven't even gone to seek medical attention, yet. I think the actual number is about 50x what our current number is due to delays in testing, inability to test, and people either not or afraid to seek medical care.

I would say as of today, the likely answer is around 4 million infected. So basically over 1% of the population is likely currently infected or has been infected. That doesn't mean we should be using 4 million as our denominator for CFR given that most of those presumed 4 million are likely early in their disease process.

Reactions: 2 users