Poll regarding credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would they have any trouble getting credentialed?

• Yes

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
D

deleted126335

For those with knowledge of the credentialing process of their hospitals:

If a new 50+ yr old doc came to town and was acceptable to your group no problems with Cv or recs or other red flags, EXCEPT was lifetime boarded around 1990, never recertified and was not participating in MOCA...

Members don't see this ad.

For those with knowledge of the credentialing process of their hospitals:

If a new 50+ yr old doc came to town and was acceptable to your group no problems with Cv or recs or other red flags, EXCEPT was lifetime boarded around 1990, never recertified and was not participating in MOCA...

For those with lifetime certifications, The above poll results suggest that unless you are sure that your current job will be your last (assuming grandfathered in) Might want to think about enrolling in the MOCA process.

Well, in the above poll, n=9 so why don't you wait a little while before making such a bold proclamation, cowboy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So what happens if someone doesn't pass the MOCA exam?

So what happens if someone doesn't pass the MOCA exam?

Take the test early so you have the option of taking it again if needed. Old timers get one option for "accelerated MOCA" if they want early recertification.

MOCA isn't that hard but it is a big pain in the Arse.

The physician will probably have not problems. He/she may run into problems if the bylaw, rules and regulations have been changed to requires the physician be board certified with MOCA.

The physician will probably have not problems. He/she may run into problems if the bylaw, rules and regulations have been changed to requires the physician be board certified with MOCA.

I'm not aware of any By-laws requiring more than "Board Certification" by the ABA. Either you are Board Certified (lifetime or MOCA) or you are not.

Why in the world would a hospital not accept the ABA's requirements for Board Certification? MOCA is a joke and everyone at this point knows it.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't checked California Florida or Texas medical licensing recently. (I have California and Florida medical licenses)

On a related matter. In the past. States like California (Florida?) required board certification (or board eligibility) within past 10 years in order to get a medical license. Or else they would have to take a basic medical examination test to be considered for medical licensure.

For example. Doc was board certified in 1985. In 1999 wants California medical license. Since they are more than 10 years out of boards even if lifetime certification. California won't issue them a medical license until they take an extra basic medical exam. They may have changed this little nuisance requirement. I got my California license in 2004 shortly after residency because of this little extra step.

http://www.visalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/physicianchart.pdf

State licensure requirements are not the same as By-laws which only require Board Certification. I doubt there are any hospitals which would remove your privileges due to lack of MOCA with lifetime certification. But, maybe new privileges could be denied due to lack of Recertification in the past ten years.

I really doubt it though as the wording is "board certified in your specialty by a recognized organization such as the ABMS."

For those of you who are not lifetime certified, the State of Nevada may require you to maintain Board Certification by the ABA if you want to keep that license.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-630.html#NAC630Sec080

The wording seems to imply you must be certified by the ABA within the past ten 10 years. Even lifetime certification still requires at least one recertification by the ABA. Those who want to drop out of MOCA better take a look at Nevada first.

I haven't checked California Florida or Texas medical licensing recently. (I have California and Florida medical licenses)

On a related matter. In the past. States like California (Florida?) required board certification (or board eligibility) within past 10 years in order to get a medical license. Or else they would have to take a basic medical examination test to be considered for medical licensure.

For example. Doc was board certified in 1985. In 1999 wants California medical license. Since they are more than 10 years out of boards even if lifetime certification. California won't issue them a medical license until they take an extra basic medical exam. They may have changed this little nuisance requirement. I got my California license in 2004 shortly after residency because of this little extra step.

This isn't true in CA. A California medical license does not require board certification or eligibility. It only requires a medical degree and completion of an intern year. Just about every CA resident gets their license at the end of their intern year. Good luck getting a decent job without being boarded. Just about every non-rural hospital will require you be boarded in order to get credentialed.

This isn't true in CA. A California medical license does not require board certification or eligibility. It only requires a medical degree and completion of an intern year. Just about every CA resident gets their license at the end of their intern year. Good luck getting a decent job without being boarded. Just about every non-rural hospital will require you be boarded in order to get credentialed.
I'm talking about being 10 years out of residency/board certification and trying to apply for a NEW CALIFORNIA LICENSE.

I'm talking about being 10 years out of residency/board certification and trying to apply for a NEW CALIFORNIA LICENSE.

Correct. It appears some States do have that requirement. Nevada would require an already Board Certified Anesthesiologist who applies for a new license ( not yet licensed in Nevada) to maintain ABA certification for the extent he/she wants to keep a medical license in that State.

This is the reason I have maintained voluntary recertification and will do so until after age 62.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing trumps a good fit candidate. Having said that, AMCs are leveraging the size and credentials of their staff against the little guys. It never hurts to make sure your group has enough fellowship trained and board certified personnel to survive the next contract negotiation.