POLL: Thoughts on the impact of supplemental signaling thus far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POLL: Do you feel regional and/or program signaling has been helpful this cycle?

• Yes, I have had success with both regional and program signaling

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No, everything seems random and does not correlate with my signaling

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Partially, I have had success with regional signaling only

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Partially, I have had success with program signaling only

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, I have had success with program signaling and did not indicate a regional preference

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how applicants feel the regional/program signaling has been going thus far. Personally, I've had good luck with regional signaling but not much luck with program-specific tokens, despite only sending tokens to non-reach programs.

Members don't see this ad.

0/5 on signals; put no preference for regions, only 2 IIs so far in psych, one from my home hospital and another from an OOS program. I honestly feel like the supplemental *has hurt me way more than it's helped.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
0/5 on signals; put no preference for regions, only 2 IIs so far in psych, one from my home hospital and another from an OOS program. I honestly feel like the supplemental *has hurt me way more than it's helped.

Did you write a blurb about your reasoning for no preference or just signaled no preference?

Is the signaling supposed to be an attempt towards an app cap?

Not really a cap, but more of a way to sort through applications that truly are interested in your program vs the shotgun-applications. The early numbers don't indicate any fewer applications this year, so it doesn't seem to have reduced the number, but perhaps they are more specific now. Personally, I signaled regions where I had strong ties and, except like two programs, did not apply outside of those regions.

The limited tokens provided to applicants were supposed to narrow that down even more, but based on what I'm seeing on the various Reddit spreadsheets, it's about half and half so far.

Did you write a blurb about your reasoning for no preference or just signaled no preference?

Not really a cap, but more of a way to sort through applications that truly are interested in your program vs the shotgun-applications. The early numbers don't indicate any fewer applications this year, so it doesn't seem to have reduced the number, but perhaps they are more specific now. Personally, I signaled regions where I had strong ties and, except like two programs, did not apply outside of those regions.

The limited tokens provided to applicants were supposed to narrow that down even more, but based on what I'm seeing on the various Reddit spreadsheets, it's about half and half so far.
I wrote a blurb about how I've lived in 10+ cities in 5 of the regions they delineated.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently 2/5 on signals. One program I signaled said they aren’t sending invites out till this coming week. I have gotten multiple interviews in regions that I signaled that I honestly was not expecting. I signaled these regions for other states. That has been a nice surprise.

I’m 3/3 on signals, I had no region preference, the programs are all in the greater Midwest which is where I’m from and currently in school though.