Ponce or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for bouncing ideas on this topic. I'm buying tickets to go visit and see how the island 'feels.' I'll post a 'report' on PR / Ponce areas so others may benefit who are considering it -- info on That school very hard to come by

Hi, Did you go to visit? any updates on the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like OP chose DMU over Ponce.
TBH, I would've done the same thing. Mainly because I do not know a lick of Spanish. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Miami :laugh: terrible right

Reactions: 2 users
TBH, I would've done the same thing. Mainly because I do not know a lick of Spanish. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Miami :laugh: terrible right

Haha yeah... When I got the accept at DMU the choice was REALLY easy. Ponce's stats just weren't making it look that hot... DMU had a higher matriculant GPA // MCAT (lol) and better match list. Plus doing Army HPSP so DO/MD matters less. Thanks for bouncing ideas on this thread though! Really appreciate the help from the community :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if it came down to reapplying DO or going here, you would say go here? I am nervous because I am a white, non-native spanish speaker. I fear that it could be difficult to learn the basic sciences in another language (and put me at risk of failing out).

So if it came down to reapplying DO or going here, you would say go here? I am nervous because I am a white, non-native spanish speaker. I fear that it could be difficult to learn the basic sciences in another language (and put me at risk of failing out).
That does change the equation somewhat...
Your call.

Wait... you got admitted to Ponce as a white non-native Spanish speaker? Are you from Puerto Rico?

Wait... you got admitted to Ponce as a white non-native Spanish speaker? Are you from Puerto Rico?
No. I am pretty fluent in spanish though.... I have a pretty high MCAT for their school though... 514.
That does change the equation somewhat...
Your call.
Do you have any concerns about them continuing to keep their LCME accreditation?

No. I am pretty fluent in spanish though.... I have a pretty high MCAT for their school though... 514.

Do you have any concerns about them continuing to keep their LCME accreditation?

Ponce will keep their LCME “accreditation.” They are in a far more solid position that San Juan Bautista and they’re “accredited.”

Many mainlanders going to school in PR do outstandingly well compared to their peers (merely judging from your MCAT you’ll obviously be one of those big fish in a small pond.)

That aside, why in heavens would you be limited to PR schools (with their low low standards and pity accreditations) with a 514 MCAT? There are a ton of mid to low tier schools you could get to even with a lower GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Ponce will keep their LCME “accreditation.” They are in a far more solid position that San Juan Bautista and they’re “accredited.”

(with their low low standards and pity accreditations) with a 514 MCAT? There are a ton of mid to low tier schools you could get to even with a lower GPA.

This is legitimately the only thing you post about, what exactly is your deal? You have been told over and over again that your views on accrediting PR schools are false, yet you continue to carry on about it.

And I'll ask, yet again, what are your opinions on schools such as Marshall, TCMC, or the HBCUs that are mission-oriented and have similar admissions profiles?

Many mainlanders going to school in PR do outstandingly well compared to their peers (merely judging from your MCAT you’ll obviously be one of those big fish in a small pond.)

That aside, why in heavens would you be limited to PR schools (with their low low standards and pity accreditations) with a 514 MCAT? There are a ton of mid to low tier schools you could get to even with a lower GPA.
I am on some waitlists. Ponce is a school I wouldn't mind going to, but the waitlists I am on are definitely preferable. I just had an underwhelming cycle I guess. I have nothing against PR! I just want to make sure it wouldn't put me behind as I have an interest in research and academics.

This is legitimately the only thing you post about, what exactly is your deal? You have been told over and over again that your views on accrediting PR schools are false, yet you continue to carry on about it.

And I'll ask, yet again, what are your opinions on schools such as Marshall, TCMC, or the HBCUs that are mission-oriented and have similar admissions profiles?

I am absolutely correct because I know extremely well what I am talking about while all you can say is that it’s “wrong” just - because.

LCME accredited schools in the 50 states, whether so-called mission schools or historically minority are held to very high standards. The three private schools in Puerto Rico are not. Again, if those three schools were physically located in Florida or New York they would not pass LCME muster for all the reasons I’ve already brought up and you’ve never been able to contest.

I am absolutely correct because I know extremely well what I am talking about while all you can say is that it’s “wrong” just - because.

LCME accredited schools in the 50 states, whether so-called mission schools or historically minority are held to very high standards. The three private schools in Puerto Rico are not. Again, if those three schools were physically located in Florida or New York they would not pass LCME muster for all the reasons I’ve already brought up and you’ve never been able to contest.
you know whats worse than a rubber stamped LCME accreditation? A COCA accreditation.

Haha yeah... When I got the accept at DMU the choice was REALLY easy. Ponce's stats just weren't making it look that hot... DMU had a higher matriculant GPA // MCAT (lol) and better match list. Plus doing Army HPSP so DO/MD matters less. Thanks for bouncing ideas on this thread though! Really appreciate the help from the community :)

For some reason, I didn't know HPSP was the plan. In that case, DO for sure, as it doesn't matter. You made the right call.

Which one??? I'll take KCU's over ICOM's or LUCOM's.
Some DO schools are good despite COCA. A lot of MD schools are good because of LCME.

Reactions: 4 users
Some DO schools are good despite COCA. A lot of MD schools are good because of LCME.
That was literally one of the best way of comparing MD and DO programs I've seen on this site.

Just creeping on this post to say your username is everything. I'm moving to florida next month and this is the best thing since sliced bread.