Poor Analytical Writing Score on GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

These are pretty much my stats:

University of California, Irvine
GPA: 3.93 (PTCAS)
Quantitative: 160
Verbal: 155
AW: 3.0
2000+ outpatient hours
no inpatient hours

Should I retake my GRE due to my poor AW score or would my other stats be able to make up for it?

I applied to USC, CSUN, Western, Chapman, and Azusa Pacific.

Members don't see this ad.

what you should do is get some diversity in your observation hours.

Got similar scores to you too so you aren't the only one.
Quantitative: 159, Verbal: 154, AW: 3.0

I agree with Nicole. Getting some inpatient should be first priority. If you have the time and money to retake it, you should. It's better to be strong in all areas instead of having to make up for something. Good thing Western does not require the GRE. You can also call the programs and see if they look at the writing portion. I had a couple schools tell me that they do not look at the writing portion at all or that it wasn't as important to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake your GREs. There is no such thing as "making up" for lower stats. You have to be at/beat all minimums.

All your other stats look great though! Try to get in-patient in there too. Good luck!

With the exception of your AW score and lack of inpatient hours your stats look outstanding. I believe you will get into one or more of the schools that you applied to, but keep in mind that many schools won't consider an AW score lower than 3.5 or 4. You have a good shot at getting into almost any program if you get some inpatient hours, retake the GRE and possibly add some volunteer experience. Focus on improoving that writing score by studying vocabulary, etc. If there are any other schools that you have interest in apply now. There are some top programs with low tuition that will definately consider you if you make this extra effort.