poor job market for pathlogists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The numbers these guys are quoting are dated, some from 1996. We all know how cyclic the job market can be. They all made money and are now trying to protect their goose that laid the golden eggs. It is pathetic. Where is the wonder and enthusiasm for one's chosen profession and specialty?

That site has not changed in years. It also contains mis-information.

For example you can not use the job listings on the CAP website as a guide for how many jobs are available. Almost all path jobs are never listed.

Path will never be as easy to find a job as some specialties just due to the overall lower numbers of people and jobs. One of the things that has caused the numbers to look worse than they are is that many people "must" live in certain areas and will not look anywhere else. Path is not good for that mindset. A medium sized city may only have 2 or 3 pathology groups so if none of these groups have openings then guess what you will not find a job if you only apply there.

Also the large proportion of FMGs has distorted the numbers some. Path groups tend to be controlled by old white guys. So you can figure that many of them are not exactly open minded about hiring. This can make it tough for some people to find jobs in private practice. This certainly is not fair, but that is how it is.

I have not figured out the reasons those people or person put up that website, but you can bet there is some personal motive behind it.

I hope as more of the people that are getting into residency this year will come back to these forums and give their opinions on this issue. I get emailed on job worries more than any other topic. All I can tell people for sure is that all the residents from my program have had no problems finding jobs. Most who actually looked for jobs, instead of having them fall in their laps, received multiple offers.