poor physical science score!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdaishik2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got my MCAT scores yesterday and I'm very dissappointed by my physical science score. I got an 11V 8P 10B Q. I took kaplan and was getting 10s on PS consistently. funny thing was that i felt that my verbal would be the worst b/c i didnt get to one whole passage on the MCAT. Am I totally out of the running for an MD seat? I have two years of research experience and publications at a medical school. I also have a master's in management from a well known new england school. But I feel like my low PS will kill any chances of getting into med school. I've thought about DO school and the Caribbean but I dont think id be happy with those options. Anyone with a poor PS get into medical school? and if so which ones. thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Calm down! People get in with 29's believe me and your scores are as balanced as they can be. The verbal is particularly nice.

i agree--relax! an 8 is hardly a 'poor score'. the MCAT is only one part of the picture and it sounds like you've made the most of everything else. so you'll be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
mdai, please don't worry. My PS score was also less than stellar...I did well on the other sections, but panicked in the middle of the test and didn't even get to 3 whole PS passages. I am actually in the midst of the admissions process, so I can't vouch for "getting in" despite that subscore...but I have received six interview invitations, among them Yale, Columbia, & Cornell.

As long as the other areas of your application are very strong (and it helps if you did well in your physics & g-chem CLASSES), you still most defintely have a shot...and possibly a very good one!

I was asked to explain why i got an 8 on verbal today (OSU). Perhaps it was in the right context, since i received an L on the writing sample.

To the original poster,

Don't sweat it too much man. Better to have the eight in physical than in verbal, trust me. In terms of not getting in ANYWHERE, I think that is less likely than you believe. If you have a great application overall and recs, you're sure to have your foot in the door somewhere. Still alot of time...

Even though 2 schools lost my application last year, I got into 2 med schools out of 8 applied not including the out-of-state public schools. One was a CA public school and the other was a private Jesuit.

Oh yeah, by the way my scores were lower. 10V 8P 11B N. Non-URM :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice wyldstyle. I too live near Los Angeles. However, im not a california resident yet. just curious but what is the jesuit school you speak of....Loyola or St Louis Univ?