Positive Feedback Only, Very Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godsfavor_1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking my DAT August 31st, and I have been doing exceptionally well on the DAT practice Exams. I have an Overall GPA of 2.73. I have a Chemistry, Math, and Physics GPA of 2.956, Biological Sciences GPA of 2.256. I was not able to do very well in my Undergrad Career due to a Medical Condition. I am now better, and plan on taking 2 courses at a home university. Should I go for upper level Undergrad courses such as Neurobiology or consider Graduate courses. In both cases I am applying as a non-matriculated student. I want to get into dental school by Fall 2016, I have plenty of shadowing hours and research experience. Please what are my chances, has anyone ever had a low gpa and found a way into dental school? I am looking for positive feedback as to what I can do.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would retake a lot of classes before applying. I would do a year or so of just retaking classes that I got bad grades in (Cs, Ds, etc.) If you were able retake all those classes and get a few semesters of 4.0, that would probably really help your chances. But I'm not sure you will be considered with your current GPA. Not to say that you can't make it. My buddy had around a 3.3 with a 3.0 science and he got in (the lowest GPA I have heard of getting in). So by retaking classes, it is definitely possible that you could bring your grades up enough to be considered.

If I were you, I would retake a lot of classes before applying. I would do a year or so of just retaking classes that I got bad grades in (Cs, Ds, etc.) If you were able retake all those classes and get a few semesters of 4.0, that would probably really help your chances. But I'm not sure you will be considered with your current GPA. Not to say that you can't make it. My buddy had around a 3.3 with a 3.0 science and he got in (the lowest GPA I have heard of getting in). So by retaking classes, it is definitely possible that you could bring your grades up enough to be considered.
My upper level Bio Classes really did not go well for me, but plan on taking 2 or 3 courses for the upcoming semester. Thanks for the positive feedback, because I have been really beating myself up about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Hammer Time. If you can show an upward trend I think you have a better chance. I would also encourage you to matriculate (if that's possible) since it seems (from what I have researched) that dental schools prefer students with bachelor degrees. I have met students with low gpas who got into dental school. So it's possible! The ones I met typically had very unique circumstances that they expanded on in their personal statement/supplementary apps. So you could do this as well. For example, one person I know talked about how they were a refugee and their struggles adapting to a new country. Good luck!

I agree with Hammer Time. If you can show an upward trend I think you have a better chance. I would also encourage you to matriculate (if that's possible) since it seems (from what I have researched) that dental schools prefer students with bachelor degrees. I have met students with low gpas who got into dental school. So it's possible! The ones I met typically had very unique circumstances that they expanded on in their personal statement/supplementary apps. So you could do this as well. For example, one person I know talked about how they were a refugee and their struggles adapting to a new country. Good luck!
Thank you for replying, I already hold a Bachelors Degree in Biology, do you think I should take upper level undergrad courses, or Grad courses?

I agree with the recent posts about retaking some of those classes. I'm not so sure about the whole Post Bacc vs Master's, but I do know a lot of people look into those..maybe something to consider?

Anyways, don't get discouraged! I know it's easier said than done, but I'm sure that with hard work, dedication, and sacrifice, you can make it! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the recent posts about retaking some of those classes. I'm not so sure about the whole Post Bacc vs Master's, but I do know a lot of people look into those..maybe something to consider?

Anyways, don't get discouraged! I know it's easier said than done, but I'm sure that with hard work, dedication, and sacrifice, you can make it! Best of luck :)
I really appreciate the motivation I am receiving tonight. Will be taking all the advice I can get. =)

Reactions: 1 user
Just crush the DAT! Take upper level courses and show you mean business by getting a 4.0! Also, stay involved in shadowing and volunteering as much as possible. One thing you can definitely show is maturity in terms of academics by having a solid GPA these next two semesters in upper level courses. You can do it! Your main motivation should be there.... just to remember what you are working towards.

Reactions: 1 users
maintain 3.7+ gpa over a couple of semesters. Upward trend is key. 22AA+ that DAT. Show your committment with shadowing and volunteering. Email the schools to keep them updated on your activities...well, I would first email the schools and ask them what to do and go from there. Keep them posted and let them know that you WANT to be a dentist. Sometimes, it's the little things that count. Good luck!!

My upper level Bio Classes really did not go well for me, but plan on taking 2 or 3 courses for the upcoming semester. Thanks for the positive feedback, because I have been really beating myself up about it.
No worries man, don't count yourself out. If there's a will, there's a way. :)

it might be possible to turn the ship around but it would take a lot of time and money on more science courses to improve your GPA. It really depends on exactly how good you do on the DAT. If you get like a 25 on the DAT then I would say yeah there is a chance for you but if you get like a 20 then I don't think that would be enough. you'd have to apply very broadly and spend a lot of time taking more courses and both of those things cost a lot of money so financially speaking I don't know if it's the best decision but I would not say you are completely out of it but rather it will just be an uphill battle. Good luck to you, I think everyone here has provided positive feedback which is nice to see. We are rooting for you.

Get your oGPA up to a 3.0. And then do a masters degree and get at least a 3.5 in it. And then apply.

it might be possible to turn the ship around but it would take a lot of time and money on more science courses to improve your GPA. It really depends on exactly how good you do on the DAT. If you get like a 25 on the DAT then I would say yeah there is a chance for you but if you get like a 20 then I don't think that would be enough. you'd have to apply very broadly and spend a lot of time taking more courses and both of those things cost a lot of money so financially speaking I don't know if it's the best decision but I would not say you are completely out of it but rather it will just be an uphill battle. Good luck to you, I think everyone here has provided positive feedback which is nice to see. We are rooting for you.
Thank you so much :). I really appreciate the feedback.