Possession of Marijuana before Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasriKID

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm freaking out. After going through one of the most stressful fall semesters of my life, I was caught and given a citation for possession of marijuana. Here in Virginia, this counts as a misdemeanor. My court date is in February and I will try to get the case dismissed (doing community service) by the time the dental school application cycle opens, which is in June.

I plan on giving the dental schools a call and asking what this means in terms of my chances of getting an interview/acceptance.

By the time of application, my sGPA will be a 3.59 and oGPA around a 3.54. I plan on taking only 2 classes this spring break so I can study for the DAT. I do not like to live with ambiguity but I am confident and will prepare hard enough to get me a 21+.

Also, now I do not know if this first-time offense will hinder my chances of receiving federal financial aid (FAFSA) and scholarships.

Is this really a huge deal or is this common and I am overthinking? Please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.
I'm freaking out. After going through one of the most stressful fall semesters of my life, I was caught and given a citation for possession of marijuana. Here in Virginia, this counts as a misdemeanor. My court date is in February and I will try to get the case dismissed (doing community service) by the time the dental school application cycle opens, which is in June.

I plan on giving the dental schools a call and asking what this means in terms of my chances of getting an interview/acceptance.

By the time of application, my sGPA will be a 3.59 and oGPA around a 3.54. I plan on taking only 2 classes this spring break so I can study for the DAT. I do not like to live with ambiguity but I am confident and will prepare hard enough to get me a 21+.

Also, now I do not know if this first-time offense will hinder my chances of receiving federal financial aid (FAFSA) and scholarships.

Is this really a huge deal or is this common and I am overthinking? Please let me know. Thanks!
Get a lawyer, ask if you can participate in a diversion program. You don't even have to show up to court. There's no plea.. you just agree to do community service, pay the fees and the charges are dropped. Also, pay the extra fees to have your record expunged. I'm not sure how things work in Virginia, but I'm sure all courts have similar programs.

Your chances of getting into dental school have been lowered. Don't do anything to lower it further.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure while I was filling out the FAFSA last week it said somewhere that any drug convictions make you ineligible for federal financial aid.

Reactions: 1 users
He has not been convicted yet (he’s been “charged”)

Reactions: 1 user
He has not been convicted yet (he’s been “charged”)
I think the point we are trying to get across that it is very possible for him to GET CONVICTED and therefore should take any possible steps he has to lower the possibility of a conviction (i.e. a lawyer).

If it's your first offense. Do the diversionary program and then get it expunged if you can. It takes about 6-12 months so do it asap and you'll be fine

Do a diversion program if it’s your first offense. It will not affect your ability to get loans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Get a lawyer, ask if you can participate in a diversion program. You don't even have to show up to court. There's no plea.. you just agree to do community service, pay the fees and the charges are dropped. Also, pay the extra fees to have your record expunged. I'm not sure how things work in Virginia, but I'm sure all courts have similar programs.

If you do a diversion program, aka the 251 program, then you do not qualify for expungement and charge stays on your record forever. I feel that this could cause complications when it comes to licensure and scholarship applications (make me less favorable to win).

Do a diversion program if it’s your first offense. It will not affect your ability to get loans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Diversion Program = Stays on record forever and cannot be expunged. I've done my research, especially with lawyers. I hired one that is pretty expensive but has stellar reviews. My court date is in february and hopefully the case gets dismissed on the spot, or nolle prosequi.

If you do a diversion program, aka the 251 program, then you do not qualify for expungement and charge stays on your record forever. I feel that this could cause complications when it comes to licensure and scholarship applications (make me less favorable to win).

I think this depends on the state. OP should read up on expungement law in the state they are being charged. Many states have a two tiered system; one for diversion and deferred sentences, and another for things like being found innocent or receiving a pardon.

I think this depends on the state. OP should read up on expungement law in the state they are being charged. Many states have a two tiered system; one for diversion and deferred sentences, and another for things like being found innocent or receiving a pardon.
Unfortunately, the state of Virginia disqualifies you from expungement if you do the 251 program. I spoke to lawyers and they said they have options in terms of ammending the case to just trespassing (still misdemeanor) or drug paraphernalia. IDK if either looks better to dental school admissions than possession of marijuana =/