Possibility of DO Student to German Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slane

L|E|C|O|M-Erie LDP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Scenario: I'm engaged to a German citizen, we're getting married this August (I'll be in my fourth year of studies at LECOM here in the USA), and then we'll be moving to Germany when I graduate in June of 2014.

My Question: Is it possible for me to go straight from graduating osteopathic medical school in the USA to a German residency? I'm interested in IM/cardiology.

I plan on taking/passing the COMLEX Level 3 before I leave the USA, so I'll have all of my board exams completed. I'm learning German now, I'll take the language exam shortly after getting there in 2014 and will also probably take a 2-week Goethe course specifically in medical German. Work permit won't be an issue, as I'll be married to a German citizen.

Is this possible? I'm really not picky on where in Germany I'd be doing my residency. We'll most likely be residing in/around Stuttgart though (her family is from Owen, and she'll be going back to uni in Esslingen after studying in the USA for a year.)

If anyone has done this or is in the process of doing this, I'd love to pick your brain a bit by email or PM. Let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.