Possible cheating scandal at MUSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for any current students/alumni. How did this event (if at all) affect the standing of the university in terms of public perception?

Members don't see this ad.

Question for any current students/alumni. How did this event (if at all) affect the standing of the university in terms of public perception?
I'm neither but have lived in SC my whole life and followed this closely.

I don't think it really had much impact. I'll be honest I had completely forgotten about this story until this thread got bumped. Admittedly, MUSC charging exorbitant rates for FOI requests after all of this was a bad look but even that died out pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciate the input. Really hoping I get accepted there but reading about this was a surprise.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who has identical twins, they definitely have twin superpowers. If I was the Dean and informed of this I would have just chalked it up to that because it’s science.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I'm not. In almost all countries university admissions (including med school) are just based on exam results; highest score gets in, no room for graft. When Tony Blair was Prime Minister his son Euan had to settle for the University of Bristol after he was rejected by Oxford. The Brits were incredulous that Yale later accepted him into their graduate program despite his mediocre record. And the UK is if anything less meritocratic than most.

Explain how things work in the US to your typical Japanese or French and they'll be dumbfounded. Admitting students to university (even to study medicine, of all things?) just because they are well connected politically? It's something you expect from a third-world country, Zimbabwe or Honduras or some place like that.
I mean. OK, I understand if a few politicians’ sons get a better shot at being doctors. Maybe they’ll pay it back by building libraries or donating and thus allowing the medschools to become bigger or something. Lots of reasons to let people into a medschool class…diversity, legacy admits that might bring bigger donations or improve legislation for doctors, the connected, those who might be really good at medical research..

What offends me is when these people know that Billy Richington IV can’t hack it…that they can’t do the work, and then they bend grading curves and stuff for him. These people can shove it. Billy Richington III is working on making doctors worse off, the people that admit him are fools, and the public loses its trust in medicine.

I’m not affiliated with the school in anyway but MUSCs reputation has done nothing but gone up recently.

Reactions: 1 user