Possible HPSP path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungrybox

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing AF HPSP, here's my plan. How feasible is it? Am I missing anything?

First match:
-One-year internship
-Apply to a dermatology and ophthalmology residencies.
-Probably won't get in, so do 2-year GMO (hopefully in Japan or Korea, but I realize I probably won't get a choice) => (2/4 years payback)
After 2-year GMO, apply to:
1. Derm (3 yrs)
2. Internal Medicine (2 yrs)

-If Derm, spend 3 years payback after residency. If IM, spend 2 years payback.
-Leave the military. If I did an Internal Med or Peds residency, I might want to do a fellowship after getting out. That would be possible right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure the AF is similar but you have to apply to a specialty first then location. Can't apply to multiple specialities. Typically can have a second speciality as a backup if you don't match your first but that's about as far as it can go.

Also with your plan it looks like a minimum of 9 years not including fellowship in the military

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure the AF is similar but you have to apply to a specialty first then location. Can't apply to multiple specialities. Typically can have a second speciality as a backup if you don't match your first but that's about as far as it can go.

Also with your plan it looks like a minimum of 9 years not including fellowship in the military

Thanks for the reply, Slevin. Didn't know that you could only apply to two specialties. Good to know. How's your experience been in the Army?

Definitely wouldn't do a fellowship in the military! No upsides to that IMO.

I know 9 years is kind of a lot, but if I end up really hating the military, I'll probably just GMO and out. That would be 5 years, right?

Also, if I GMO'd and left, would I have to repeat my intern year?

I know 9 years is kind of a lot, but if I end up really hating the military, I'll probably just GMO and out. That would be 5 years, right?
Your minimum time if you have a four year commitment and intend to GMO and out would be 5 years, correct.

Also, if I GMO'd and left, would I have to repeat my intern year?

Depends on the program you would be training in. From what I'm hearing a lot of GME is moving towards making you repeat intern year if you've been out too long. The way things are moving I think the safe bet is to say the answer will be yes by the time you GMO and out if you are just now starting medical school.

Reactions: 1 user