Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Possible Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by GATTACA CTAATGT, Jan 6, 2009.

1. GATTACA CTAATGT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    In preparation for interviews, I found these questions and would like to hear your input. Thanks in advance for your input and your insight in your last posts.

1) What is your greatest weakness?

--Would it be appropriate to say you can not recall any weakness?

2) Should healthcare be a right or a privilege?

3) Can someone make an error and still be a good pharmacist?

--The question does not mention the magnitude of the error so you are to assume in general.

2. alenadoma

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was always taught that when you talk about your greaterst weakness you should turn it into a positive. So for example..you could say I am too nice, or too honest. Saying that you don't have any weaknesses makes you seem snobby, everyone has weaknesses!

3. calisoca

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    1. Interviews 101 here, give a negative that actually ends with a positive spin. Saying you have no weakness is probably the worst thing you can do. Just think about that..."I have no weakness sir, I hold the immunity to weakness." Cmon, just level with them.

2. Eh, no easy answer and I'm too lazy to stab at it.
    3. Yes

4. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Good advice. Everyone has weaknesses. You may not want to say you have a habit of cheating or infidelity or some other major character flaw, but saying that you have some sort of weakness which you are trying to address would sound good.

5. GATTACA CTAATGT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Being too nice is one of my weakness because it does make me gullible at times.

#5 GATTACA CTAATGT, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. GATTACA CTAATGT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I want to say healthcare is a right because I believe everyone deserves to have some sort of assistance based on natural rights. Having the government afford healthcare for everyone is another story though. Any help?

7. Jdario86

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    1) I agree with previous posts. Just make sure whatever weakness you talk about also indicate how & what are you doing to improve. (i.e. I tend to be too independent. However, I'm learning how it's ok to ask others for help when needed by building trust).

2) No matter what stance you decide to take, make sure you address and show understanding on both sides of the issue. (i.e. I am aware that healthcare is limited in certain areas -however- standardizing healthcare and viewing it as a right will not solve the problem...etc.) Personally, I would refrain from discussing where I stand on this particular issue because you won't really know which side your interviewer is on. Instead, I would discuss what i know on both sides and what I would do as an aspiring pharmacist.

3) I think they can still be a good pharmacist as long as they learn from their mistakes. I think good pharmacy students and pharmacists figure out what's going wrong and how best to fix it. They aren't afraid to learn from mistakes and they aren't afraid to work hard and redo something so that it can be done correctly.

8. CafeMed

CafeMed Bitter
    2+ Year Member

You should probably add "Why not medicine?" to your list. Last time I interviewed, I was asked this question at each school.

9. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD

Pharmacist
    Yeah, good one. My chemistry professor asked me why I'd rather be a pharmacist than a MD. I told her: "shaky hands"

10. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    1. Too trusting.
    2. Easy, it's a right.
    3. Yes, you learn from your errors. I do not know any pharmacist who has never made an error.

11. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    1. Performing well on standardized tests (e.g. PCAT)
    2. Healthcare is a right
    3. Mistakes are commonplace you just have to continually improve upon ways to increase efficiency

12. Kruton

Kruton Professionally Rad
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You may upset someone with your answer to #2. I would personally try to avoid a definite answer.

13. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun

Pharmacist
    Openly saying that health care is a privilege will most likely get you not-accepted at most schools. For example, Touro is a school with a mission statement of fixing health disparities and providing care to underserved communities. That's pretty much saying that health care is a right.

Basic Rights
    1.Life
    2.Liberty
    3.Pursuit of Happiness

You have a right to life, therefore a right to health care.

14. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich

Pharmacist
    1)English is second language, but it is also my strength because I speak 2 languages.

15. Kruton

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    That's why I didn't say health care is a privilege. All I mean is you have no idea whose side the person asking the question is on. I would just not provide a definite answer to the question, just acknowledge both sides. I feel much more strongly about the issue, but I don't really think your interview is the time to become an activist.

16. naseuy

10+ Year Member

This is where I disagree. They're asking you for your opinion, and rather than giving them a PC answer, you should give them your honest opinion. If you're able to express your opinion and justify it, I really don't see a problem with it.

17. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

1.) My weakness is that I am too hard working, too serious, and too old for my age. My friends say I do not go out and have fun that much. This is good for pharmacy school because I have heard in pharmacy school, you have no life anyways. So it will be an easy transition for me. :laugh:

2.) Healthcare should be a right but it shouldn't be given away free to everyone. IT should be made more affordable to those who work hard and want it.

3.) No one is perfect. Doctors make mistakes and pharmacists make mistakes. It's what you do with the mistake that counts. Do you ignore it or use it to avoid future errors? If you make few minor errors, it is ok. If you make a lot of errors with some of them major errors, then you are an imcompetent pharmacist.

I am a 3 year reject from pharmacy school. When it comes to pharmacy school inteviews, I know all the questions and expected answers. :laugh:

18. Jdario86

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I personally agree. This is a very politically charged issue and I think the best way to address such questions is always talking about both sides. I also think interviewers are more concerned with your reasoning behind your answer rather just saying 'it's a right or privilege.' Therefore, saying 'it's a privilege because of the following reasons...' and then never addressing the other side is just as a vapid answer as saying that 'healthcare is a right, the end.' And with any politically charged issue, it's always best to address the advantages and disadvantages. This shows open-mindedness and assures the interviewer that you are capable of formulating an opinion based on having a solid understanding on both sides of the spectrum. Also, regardless of whatever side one takes, you should always mention that patients comes first.

19. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    How could you possibly argue that the patient comes first if you believe that you are doing them a favor? Are pharmacists not part of the service industry?

20. thephoenician88

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    yep

21. Jdario86

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'm not really sure if I understand the gist of your question. But someone can argue that viewing healthcare as a privilege and making people pay for their healthcare will give back more money to research - leading to new drugs, new biotechnologies, etc. Therefore, new therapy innovations is servicing patients and putting their best interest first, as a pharmacist or clinician. Furthermore, they can also say that the US gives better healthcare than other countries (ie. France, australia..etc) where it is standardized because we have more advanced biotechnologies, more advanced drugs and patients have less waiting times when seeing their doctors.
    However, someone else can argue the other side by saying that not everyone is born into privilege and that ignores how there are still disadvantaged people who live in impoverished areas with no jobs. And they can also argue that other countries like Scandanavia, where healthcare is standarized, has a far lower mortality rate than the US.

22. Texas PharmDoc

Texas PharmDoc Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

What is a Scandanavia? :rolleyes:

23. Jdario86

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    heh heh. I meant scandinavia which is a european region consisting of european countries. But the main point of what i was trying to say is that some european countries have lower mortality rates than that in the US (purely subjective).

24. Kruton

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    To those of you arguing that health care is a right, how would you answer to this follow up question: A patient walks into your pharmacy and cannot afford the medication prescribed to him. Do you give him the medication anyway because it is his right?

I really think if you lay down a definite it is right and nothing less answer you will get burned.

25. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

you have to look at this from the company rules standpoint.

26. Texas PharmDoc

Texas PharmDoc Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Okay, the "what is a scandinavia" was sarcasm. Sorry.

I meant who cares what their mortality rate is; I have never heard the US should have a health care system like Scandinavia.

27. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun

Pharmacist
    Well, that's the problem. In this country under this government it is considered a privilege. When I say health care is a right, I'm saying that everyone should be given some sort of government card that is presented to health care providers and the health care provider are reimbursed by the government.

Where should we get this money from? We have plenty of it, just cut funding to the military.

28. james07

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    to question number two I think I would say this........ Healthcare is a right for those who are willing to put in the hardwork and succeed in the field and a privilege to be able to work with patients and make a difference in peoples' lives.

is that answer an acceptable one?

29. Kruton

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I like it. You looked at it from two points of view and while you said it was a right, you made sure to let them know you don't think people who don't work for it deserve it.

30. Jdario86

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    And the other point I was trying to make is that it is good to show knowledge of how different healthcare systems work in an interview.